Boeing F4B4 (Monogram 1/72)

I participated in an old kit group build with some of my mates, the idea being we should each build a kit that was released when we were kids - The older you were the older the kit should be. I selected about four from around 1967-69 and invited my mates to choose for me. They unanimously chose Monogram's 1/72 Boeing F4B-4 released in 1968 when I was 8 years old.

My moulding  was showing its age, with flash, slightly misaligned tooling, and warped interplane struts. However, the basic kit is quite nice, albeit lacking any cockpit detail. I fixed this problem using a resin cockpit set by Starfighter, which is ok for what is ultimately visible. I also used some quite good decals by the same company.

I chose to refine several kit parts a such as bracing struts, windscreen and guns. I also opened up hand-holds in the wing tips, added a fuel filler neck and cap to the long-range tank, replaced the arrestor hook,  and displaced the tail control surfaces.

I originally planned to rig with invisible mending thread, but instead ended up using ceramic wire for the first time. This spring tensile product proved very easy to position using a blind hole at one end and an open one at the other. The hardest part was getting the length right using trial and error.

The whole build is recorded here as I lacked the time to post as I went (plus Photo Bucket was playing up); it took about two weeks to finish. Sorry for the sickly green background, it's all I had to hand...

21_zpsrmgldugu.jpg

22_zpshlkjf5cw.jpg

23_zps8fzjiai9.jpg

24_zps7opb1iyg.jpg

25_zpslbxpfo7r.jpg

20_zpstsrwvqb1.jpg

26_zpsk67knzr4.jpg

27_zpsx5dkocvq.jpg

28_zpsnnra8cdr.jpg

29_zpsdsr1oi1r.jpg

30_zpsoufpe3q1.jpg

31_zpsxf5sgkn5.jpg

32_zpsjj053nym.jpg

33_zpsrwczwvwf.jpg

34_zpswxybuifp.jpg

35_zpswqsmp7c1.jpg

36_zpsd2q27lsa.jpg

37_zpsrvzcciy2.jpg

38_zpsrzn1pqd2.jpg

39_zps1hjikwkd.jpg

40_zpstmve6eo4.jpg

41_zpsjek9dg6r.jpg

42_zpsiu1jmrk7.jpg

43_zpsmm5r72vx.jpg

44_zpst3h5bsts.jpg

45_zpsvbvmqwye.jpg

46_zpsmjmddghx.jpg

a_zpst3wdgo4y.jpg

More finished images under ready for inspection using this link:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011592-boeing-f4b-4-monogram-172/

• Like 11

Hi, Mark

Eye catching result from, by standards of today, mediocre materiel, congratulations! I am looking forward to see your P-12E built. I actually thought Monogram F4B-4 and Matchbox P-12E were basically the same kit with few bits added to suit each version. I also have the old Matchbox (I wonder which year that one first came out) and I have it slatted for Boeing Model 218 conversion. I would prefer to build her as a Robert Short's mount during his last fight with Japanese bombers over China, but marking references are a bit vague. Most of them claim X66W was still in factory finish, but while there is plenty of photos of that plane while still in USA, I am still searching for one picturing her while in China. Cheers

Jure

1 hour ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hi, Mark

Eye catching result from, by standards of today, mediocre materiel, congratulations! I am looking forward to see your P-12E built. I actually thought Monogram F4B-4 and Matchbox P-12E were basically the same kit with few bits added to suit each version. I also have the old Matchbox (I wonder which year that one first came out) and I have it slatted for Boeing Model 218 conversion. I would prefer to build her as a Robert Short's mount during his last fight with Japanese bombers over China, but marking references are a bit vague. Most of them claim X66W was still in factory finish, but while there is plenty of photos of that plane while still in USA, I am still searching for one picturing her while in China. Cheers

Jure

Thanks Jure. The two kits are certainly unrelated and quite different in execution, besides the differences between the two versions. I'm pretty sure that the Matchbox kit dates from 1972. My P-12E will probably be my next project after I finish an A-Model Beriev Be-10 Mallow I started tonight.

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
Misspelled name

• 1 year later...

hi all ,

I have searched 'n' searched and just cannot find a Cutaway Drawing of the Boeing P-12E/F4B-4

I too recently have commenced makin' this MONOGRAM Kit ........bin in my stash for (30) years !🕸️😒

and agree with all the Fixes..... the Starfighter F4B Brace Set are "silly " but now I have lots of Seatbelt Etch Material !

....... anyway any leads on a Cutaway of this Aircraft would be appreciated.

cheery "modellin " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

🙂🐱🐱

42 minutes ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi all ,

I have searched 'n' searched and just cannot find a Cutaway Drawing of the Boeing P-12E/F4B-4

I too recently have commenced makin' this MONOGRAM Kit ........bin in my stash for (30) years !🕸️😒

and agree with all the Fixes..... the Starfighter F4B Brace Set are "silly " but now I have lots of Seatbelt Etch Material !

....... anyway any leads on a Cutaway of this Aircraft would be appreciated.

cheery "modellin " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

🙂🐱🐱

Hi Geoff,

Despite having databased tens of thousands of references the only cutaway I have is this one:

ZS0Qvnp.jpg

I do have several images of aircraft with panels and skin removed, and some good cockpit shots. If you want to email me using mark_davies at orcon dot net dot nz I'll reply and send them to you.

hi  Kiwikitbasher,

thats just wot I wanted.....and it's in colour !`

cheery "modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• 4 weeks later...

hi  Kiwikitbasher,

wot was the Red Paint Colour you used ?

I want to do the version with Felix the Cat runnin' with a lit bomb.

I have also built the Matchbox  P-12E .....its a great little Kit very easy to assemble

.......... unlike the MB Hawker Fury......... those Struts, bugger! bugger ! ☹️

cheery "Fathers Day " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

🖥️   😌🐱🐱

41 minutes ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi  Kiwikitbasher,

wot was the Red Paint Colour you used ?

I want to do the version with Felix the Cat runnin' with a lit bomb.

I have also built the Matchbox  P-12E .....its a great little Kit very easy to assemble

.......... unlike the MB Hawker Fury......... those Struts, bugger! bugger ! ☹️

cheery "Fathers Day " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

🖥️   😌🐱🐱

Hi Geoff,

The red was a Mr Color lacquer from memory, but I don't recall the paint number, sorry. I still have the Matchbox P12 to do, good to know it's an easy build..

hi Mark,

I have a TAMIYA Laquer Red  LP-7 ( a rooly great ready to spray Lacquer  )

.....will do a comparsion check.

btw : this Red is very,very close to London Transport Livery red... nutha Hobby.

cheery "modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G.  3156

🖥️☺️🛩️🐱🐱

• Thanks 1