Albion 3 point Refueller - Airfix 1/48

Morning All

This is my first foray into these parts of the forum......please be gentle  ;)

I'm pretty much exclusively an aircraft builder; I generally don't do vehicles and figures.  But, I saw this kit in my local and thought I'd give it a shot as a bit of a quick build between bigger projects......It still took a month though !  It'll be something a bit out of the ordinary in the display case.

The kit; not too many issues except that I found that sometimes joints needed a little more glue than I'd normally use for a joint to hold together (I'm still expecting things to randomly pop off i the future, oh, and I use Tamiya paints that seemed way too easy to damage.

I replaced the refuel hoses with old Tamiya Ducati brake hoses that I had in the spares box (my son's model from about 15 years ago).  The long hoses have a piece of wire inside to make them poseable, but the ones to the control panel are hollow so that the flexibility allows me to reposition the booms where I want.  I also used Ezy-line for the cables on top of the arms. I kept the weathering to a minimum as in just a little dirt from daily use.

The figure, hmm, it's adapted from some pilot and groundcrew figures that I got with a Tamiya Spitfire years ago.  I've tried but I just can't get rid of the gloss on the uniform.

So here's George, he's just finished refueling duties and is packing up ready to return to the tanker pool. Overall I'm happy with the outcome; I hope you like it too. Comments welcome :)

Cheers

Gaz

20161103_203526_zpsea7psnu7.jpg

20161103_204737_zpslfbl51om.jpg

20161103_204549_zps66jhnt6c.jpg

20161103_204314_zpscsoik4dd.jpg

20161103_204058_zpsdtdratfv.jpg

20161103_204008_zpsoavre5in.jpg

20161103_203508_zpsbt63cdif.jpg

• Like 14

I like it. We share the same tendencies ... primarily aircraft with occasional "Detours" into the world of armor / vehicles. However you have more courage than I have. I don't think that I'm close to being able to paint figures. Thanks for posting.              Bob H.

• Like 1

Nice job on the refueller.  But what stands out for me is George. He really is carrying the weight of the hose ! You've done a cracking job of converting him :goodjob:

BillyD

• Like 1

On 6/11/2016 at 2:13 PM, Bob Henry said:

I like it. We share the same tendencies ... primarily aircraft with occasional "Detours" into the world of armor / vehicles. However you have more courage than I have. I don't think that I'm close to being able to paint figures. Thanks for posting.              Bob H.

Thanks Bob.  I'm back in my comfort zone again now.......phew !  Although.......I picked up a 1/300 HMS Prince of Wales the other day :lol:

On 7/11/2016 at 2:16 AM, Billydick said:

Nice job on the refueller.  But what stands out for me is George. He really is carrying the weight of the hose ! You've done a cracking job of converting him :goodjob:

BillyD

Thanks Billy.  As you can see, George recovered ok from some serious surgery and limb grafts.  I might stick to modelling non-living subjects for a while though.

Cheers

Gaz :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think you have done a wonderful job of both the vehicle and George. I like the idea behind the pipe/hose and its ability to be 'posed'.

Great presentation and a new representation of the said vehicle.

Avoiding future humans, it would be nice to see this arrangement on a small grass diorama with the aircraft being refuelled.  :clap2:

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback chaps :)

On 29/11/2016 at 7:22 AM, celt said:

Lovely job on the truck,perhaps you should do more non aircraft models.:-)

Diolch.  I picked up a ship recently; HMS Prince of Wales.......does that count ;) Should be 'fun'.

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg

• 3 years later...

Hi,

10/10 on observation in that you removed the gross error Airfix made, pure invention in fact, and have the hoses coming out of the trumpet ends as they should do.

I am surprised almost all who model this dont even look at a photo of it, as if they did, they would see that !

Merlin

• Like 1