As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

CoolHand11

Transit through the Ice. 1/72 Type IXC

My first diorama... after 10 months, I am calling this done. Lol, starting to wonder if they are ever really done. This is my interpretation of U-505 transiting from Kiel to Lorient in January of 1942. Question or criticism welcome. IMG_5149_zpshhctyada.jpgIMG_5150_zpswxl5h9qe.jpgIMG_5147_zpsqzoig5um.jpgIMG_5148_zps9sfpvlue.jpgIMG_5146_zpsbuuqj1eh.jpgIMG_5145_zpshdzzah41.jpg

Great work and an excellent effect you've got going there with the diorama - you can almost feel the cold just looking at it!

Brilliant!........I got the shivers just looking at it!

Andrew

Hello Cool,

Your diorama looks amazing.

How did you make the ice on the cables!

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

It's a cold day outside today and your dio makes me feel even colder !  Brilliant job on all that ice ! :goodjob:

BillyD

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Cool,

Your diorama looks amazing.

How did you make the ice on the cables!

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

The icicles were created using a clear silicon caulk and a toothpick. Just apply a small amount on the tip of the toothpick and dab it on the line, then pull down. Hope this helps.

awesome- seriously that looks amazing- what a brilliant idea. i'm off to get a jumper.

I'm shivering just looking at this.

It's a brilliant diorama.

Great; just as I'm starting to warm up from the cold of darkest Middlesex you just make me put my fleece on once more.

Nice ice work. It genuinely looks 'Baltic' on deck.

Thanks everyone! There are a ton of great builds in this group. Been perusing the posts on and off for the past few days. Wish some of the pics stayed up longer... meh.

Absoloutley superb, love it and very effective, superb dio.

That's a great job all round and a real different setting too,It's got me turning the fire up!

Excellent work, I've seen snow/ice submarine dioramas before but this is the first time I've seen anyone do icicles...

John

3 hours ago, Cellarfrog said:

really nice! excellent effects.

What speed did you estimate it would be travelling through the ice?

1/72 Type IXC U-505. "Transit through the Ice". In Jan. 42, U-505 left the 4th Unterseebootsflottille (training) in Kiel headed to the 2nd Unterseebootsflottille in Lorient, France. Kptlt. Loewe stands on the bridge alone taking one last look at the sun as the sub is about to clear the ice and make preparations to dive. This is my interpretation of what that day may have been like.

Lol, I forgot to post the story behind this build. As I envisioned her about to leave the ice, accelerating, and dive ... I figure around 8 knts at this moment. 

Edited by CoolHand11

Most appropriate for the change in the weather. Wonderful work on colour and texture.

Tony