Transit through the Ice. 1/72 Type IXC

5 hours ago, Honeybee said:

Hi

Very chilly out there. There is a small ommission from the boat though. When transiting ice a false bow was fitted so there would be no damage. As per this picture

boat_zpsr4i7h5lx.jpg

Regards

Paul

Hey Paul, I had not decided if I was going to add the bow protection cap or not at the time. Many times, the subs were towed by an icebreaker and the cap was not always used in this case. I have actually decided to add it, but am in the middle of a move. Thanks for that picture. So far, it is the best picture I have seen of the bow protection cap. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2016 at 10:07 PM, CoolHand11 said:

My first diorama... after 10 months, I am calling this done. Lol, starting to wonder if they are ever really done. This is my interpretation of U-505 transiting from Kiel to Lorient in January of 1942. Question or criticism welcome. IMG_5149_zpshhctyada.jpg

What a great diorama this is - I've had to put a thicker jumper on just looking at it! 

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the square cage like apparatus on the bridge?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Whofan said:

What a great diorama this is - I've had to put a thicker jumper on just looking at it! 

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the square cage like apparatus on the bridge?

@Whofan, that would be the radar. Thanks for the kudos!

Edited by CoolHand11

On 11/6/2016 at 6:53 AM, Orion said:

Hello Cool,

Your diorama looks amazing.

How did you make the ice on the cables!

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

@TheBaron, the ice is actually broken glass that is used in decorative vases. Found it at a local craft supply store. Thanks.

Shannon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've come back to admire your work once again. I showed this to my lady the other night and she honestly thought it was a photo of the real thing on my IPad as I had zoomed in and she could not see the diorama edges - consider that a big Lady Modelling Credit check !