North Cormorant Oil Platform - 1:200 from Revell

Well fancy that! No I did not have decals in my kit. Interesting to know. I guess they may have been removed prior to my purchase on eBay. Anyhow I used a variety of methods to get the circles perfect i.e. measuring diameters and then making stencils and whatnots. None worked until I finally did it simply by hand. Still not quite perfect. What I did do to distract was to purchase a 1:200 commercial Sikorsky helicopter on eBay and placed it on the helipad. You should get one too. It would make a great addition to your excellent model

Thanks for the info

P & O 

Hi, yes. Go onto eBay USA and type in the following: 1/200 Scale Sikorsky S-92 Helicopter Model Matchbox Mission Chopper MBX Aircraft.

Its the same one I have and he ships worldwide.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha thats what a couple of people said at Telford - "not enough rust", I can excuse this by saying it is representing it how it looks A FEW (!!) years ago :) 

I'm also aware that the jacket is much simplified from the real thing, its missing lots of walkways and spars that make the space under the platform a much more complicated affair that this looks.

Thats the good thing about marine models. You can always say they are "new builds" or just out of drydock. I left my platform in the original plastic colors and did not paint with the exception of the interior machinery components which as you know can't be seen anyway. You don't need rust. I'm not very good at weathering so that's my excuse. Did you ever get that Sikorsky? Still waiting for my display case. Currently working on the SS France and next will be the same model only as the SS Norway as I remember her as First Officer prior to scrapping in Alang India. 

• 3 years later...
On 11/12/2016 at 17:24, Allatsea said:

Really nice build, was working on this Platform last year, although its a bit too clean, the thing is held together with rust and scaffolding now. Also now owned by TAQA. 

Yeah, I have worked on this platform a few times now and as you say, it is a real rust bucket. Fair enough if you don't want to weather a model. It's just that this installation is so very rusty. if you want realism, you need to look at this.

Nice work! Reminds me of models used in Thunderbirds et al especially the 'font' of the writing!

For 1/200 choppers Shed Models, Helmet Models and Cloudbreak models do a few such as this Whirlwind - they are lovely WM kits

https://www.btowstore.com/epages/BT4224.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4224/Products/"640026/Kit2"

This kit was originally released in the 80s and then repooped in 2014 so I could say that my build was from an earlier period :) 

I found a more modern photo in some articles about the decommissioning:

North-Cormorant-Topside-source-TAQA.jpg

When I first built this I did some research as to how the real thing looked and saw how much they'd simplified the kit, even compared to the platform at an earlier era, but the build was complex enough as it was (I only extended the jacket by 200 scale feet rather than the proper 490 feet it SHOULD be :) ) I would have loved to have added lights as I know these things are lit up like christmas trees at night, but that was a step too far even for me :)

Since these discussions restarted, I dug the model out from the boxes its been stored in since 2016 and reassembled it for the first time in over 3 years

DSC_4566.JPG

These are the bits that have fallen off during various trips to model shows

DSC_4568.JPG

and I had this marvellous idea that I might be able to display it ont he space above my Detolf cabinets:

DSC_4569.JPG

However the ceiling is 4 inches too low - the full height of the model with the derrick attached is 34 inches!!! I also discovered that the underwater jacket part of the model is getting damaged as it doesn't have its own storage box so I've ordered a new 48 ltr Really Useful Box to put it in, so its still out of the cupboard until that arrives. I think I need to build a deep shelf for this and the 30" wide Angel Interceptor model  with plenty of clearance to the ceiling! Need to get permission from the landlord before I do that though!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Kallisti said:

This kit was originally released in the 80s and then repooped in 2014 so I could say that my build was from an earlier period :) 

I found a more modern photo in some articles about the decommissioning:

North-Cormorant-Topside-source-TAQA.jpg

When I first built this I did some research as to how the real thing looked and saw how much they'd simplified the kit, even compared to the platform at an earlier era, but the build was complex enough as it was (I only extended the jacket by 200 scale feet rather than the proper 490 feet it SHOULD be :) ) I would have loved to have added lights as I know these things are lit up like christmas trees at night, but that was a step too far even for me :)

Since these discussions restarted, I dug the model out from the boxes its been stored in since 2016 and reassembled it for the first time in over 3 years

DSC_4566.JPG

These are the bits that have fallen off during various trips to model shows

DSC_4568.JPG

and I had this marvellous idea that I might be able to display it ont he space above my Detolf cabinets:

DSC_4569.JPG

However the ceiling is 4 inches too low - the full height of the model with the derrick attached is 34 inches!!! I also discovered that the underwater jacket part of the model is getting damaged as it doesn't have its own storage box so I've ordered a new 48 ltr Really Useful Box to put it in, so its still out of the cupboard until that arrives. I think I need to build a deep shelf for this and the 30" wide Angel Interceptor model  with plenty of clearance to the ceiling! Need to get permission from the landlord before I do that though!

What is the crane model?

8 hours ago, dlh said:

What is the crane model?

Its  Kibri Ho/OO kit I picked up for a fiver at a railway show at the start of 2019 - had to build something that different

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Kallisti,

could you assist, or at least humour me, and let me know the height from waterline to the top of the derrick please?

cheers,

Mik,e

Its all packed away again now but knowing the proprotions and overall height the platform will be about 22" tall

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2016 at 11:22 PM, Kallisti said:

Note: this is actually an Oil PLATFORM not a rig - its fixed to the sea bed rather than floating, which is an Oil Rig which is usually used during the exploration phase of an oil filed development. So here are the photos...

You sound like my dad when he was out in the North Sea 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2