Jump to content

New Revell P-70 Havoc Query?


tonyot
 Share

Recommended Posts

Regardless of any trademark there may be for "Nighthawk," the Revell box top says "Lockheed P-70." Wrong! At least they got it right on the decal sheet which says "Douglas P-70."

 

Cheers,

Bill

 

PS. Using the US Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS), the registered trademark owned by Lockheed is "F-117 Nighthawk." There are approximately (if I counted correctly) 50 some-odd trademarks that contain the word "Nighthawk" of which 25 are registered (not all in the same category). It is, what a patent and trademark examiner would say, a "weak mark." 

 

Douglas_P-70_cover.jpg

 

Note that the registered symbol is after Lockheed, not Nighthawk. Somebody really goofed up.

 

EDIT: Actually, Lockheed has two registered trademarks for "F-117 Nighthawk." One is in the category for apparel, and the other in the category for jewelry and watches. Not an airplane (model or otherwise) in sight...but I'll keep looking!   :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a bit odd.  As a Douglas aircraft, the box should list it as an "Officially Licensed BOEING Product," as Boeing absorbed McDonnell-Douglas years ago.  That's why the Italeri B-26 Invader has a Boeing trademark on the box.

 

SN

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bought this kit at the weekend,......superb,........it is the MPM kit and includes the parts for a Boston Mk.III and early A-20 Havoc bomber, plus the British BP night fighter nose and Turbinlight nose (no flat windscreen though), so well worth getting hold of,....even if the clear nose is a bitch to fit!

 

Cheers

            Tony

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

EDIT: Actually, Lockheed has two registered trademarks for "F-117 Nighthawk." One is in the category for apparel, and the other in the category for jewelry and watches. Not an airplane (model or otherwise) in sight...but I'll keep looking!   :)

 

Well, you see, it was all very "Black", so they had to hide the trademark...

 

18 hours ago, Steve N said:

This is a bit odd.  As a Douglas aircraft, the box should list it as an "Officially Licensed BOEING Product," as Boeing absorbed McDonnell-Douglas years ago.  That's why the Italeri B-26 Invader has a Boeing trademark on the box.

 

Maybe it was a "clever" dodge- Lockheed won't care, since they didn't make it, and if Boeing's lawyers come knocking they can say, "So sorry, I guess we went to the wrong manufacturer!"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

 

Well, you see, it was all very "Black", so they had to hide the trademark...

 

 

Maybe it was a "clever" dodge- Lockheed won't care, since they didn't make it, and if Boeing's lawyers come knocking they can say, "So sorry, I guess we went to the wrong manufacturer!"

Far too "stealthy" for their own good then! :)

 

Jonners

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, DaveCromie said:

Hi all

 

not being an expert on Havocs or Bostons or indeed their American origins does anyone know if this kit has the parts to allow it to be built into an RAF aircraft and if so what particular mark of Boston/Havoc?

 

Cheers

 

DC

Looks like it can. I wanted to wait until someone bought the Revell AG kit to step forward, as has happened, but also wanted to mention that the original kit had the turbinlite and other mark accessories in the P-70 kit. 

 

I bought the MPM kit off HLJ.com just before this was announced at a great discount, making me believe that they knew of the eventual release from Revell AG. Either way I am happy to finally own one and bolster my WWII Twin radial collection. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see a lot of "In The Box" reviews from folks on Scalemates (IPMS Deutschland etc. ) but I don't know if anyone's done a "build review" of the MPM Kit.   I have one of these in my stash (the MPM RAF/SAAF Mk III to build for the RCAF) but I'm curious if these are going to have the "usual" MPM fit issues that some of their kits have. 

 

Cheers,
Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IIRC it needs a piece of microstrip between the fuselage halves behind the canopy, at least on the A-20G version that I have but I've seen it said elsewhere.  Other than that it seems to be OK: certainly one of their better examples.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent... I often wonder about some of their "earlier" work (while this isn't "earlier" per se.. it's now about 10 years old so.... just curious) :)

Thanks for the input Graham.. I always loved the look of the Boston/Havoc so perhaps it should be a "next up" on my workbench.

 

Cheers,
Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, DaveCS said:

Excellent... I often wonder about some of their "earlier" work (while this isn't "earlier" per se.. it's now about 10 years old so.... just curious) :)

Thanks for the input Graham.. I always loved the look of the Boston/Havoc so perhaps it should be a "next up" on my workbench.

 

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave, from St Thomas, On.

 

I have read what Graham has stated as well, and will be filling my quartet with said strip. I think I saw a copy at Panther hobbies in Mississauga last month if you were looking to bolster your collection. He has a few estate items for bargain prices. 

 

Cheers,

 

Jeffers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5 November 2016 at 5:01 PM, T7 Models said:

More to the point, who at Revell signed it off as a Lockheed P-70 Nighthawk, solemnly stating on the side of the box that Lockheed is a registered trademark yada yada? I can understand some confusion over the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk, but (and I stand to be corrected) I am not at all sure that the name Nighthawk was ever attached to the P-70.

Presumably Revell were worried that Lockheed might operate the same thought process as Harrods of London who tried (and might have succeeded due to their clout) to get a small shop in Suffolk run by part of the Harrod family to change its name to 'prevent confusion' 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/11/2016 at 10:59 AM, tonyot said:

Bought this kit at the weekend,......superb,........it is the MPM kit and includes the parts for a Boston Mk.III and early A-20 Havoc bomber, plus the British BP night fighter nose and Turbinlight nose (no flat windscreen though), so well worth getting hold of,....even if the clear nose is a bitch to fit!

 

Cheers

            Tony

 

On 07/11/2016 at 2:02 PM, modelglue said:

Looks like it can. I wanted to wait until someone bought the Revell AG kit to step forward, as has happened, but also wanted to mention that the original kit had the turbinlite and other mark accessories in the P-70 kit. 

 

I bought the MPM kit off HLJ.com just before this was announced at a great discount, making me believe that they knew of the eventual release from Revell AG. Either way I am happy to finally own one and bolster my WWII Twin radial collection. :)

 

Thanks you gents, looks like several of these will be making their way into my stash! Amazing how much cheaper these kits are when Revell release them too :hmmm:

 

Cheers all

 

DC

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Sunday, November 06, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Navy Bird said:

What am I missing?

 

Cheers,

Bill

 

Nothing. Revell states the truth (probably ) that Lockheed and Nighthawk both are trademarks of Lockheed. Which is entirely without meaning for the kit, of course. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07.11.2016 at 4:57 PM, DaveCS said:

I see a lot of "In The Box" reviews from folks on Scalemates (IPMS Deutschland etc. ) but I don't know if anyone's done a "build review" of the MPM Kit.   I have one of these in my stash (the MPM RAF/SAAF Mk III to build for the RCAF) but I'm curious if these are going to have the "usual" MPM fit issues that some of their kits have. 

 

Cheers,
Dave

The MPM made an excellent model (nowadays definitely the best in the 72):

DSCN0053_zpsg9n01wlg.jpg

DSCN2545__zpsohhfuidi.jpg

DSCN2546__zpsmpxj7fuc.jpg

 

But it is very bad (or rather completely empty) wheel wells:

DSC01686_zps2mt5wxnt.jpg

 

It is necessary to work on them:

DSCN0050_zps4nsixsxl.jpg

DSCN0052_zpsjxzkg3qj.jpg

1_zpspv3flv4g.jpg

 

S48.

P.S.Model unfortunately is not finished yet ...

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 1:28 PM, S48 said:

The MPM made an excellent model (nowadays definitely the best in the 72):

DSCN0053_zpsg9n01wlg.jpg

DSCN2545__zpsohhfuidi.jpg

DSCN2546__zpsmpxj7fuc.jpg

 

But it is very bad (or rather completely empty) wheel wells:

DSC01686_zps2mt5wxnt.jpg

 

It is necessary to work on them:

DSCN0050_zps4nsixsxl.jpg

DSCN0052_zpsjxzkg3qj.jpg

1_zpspv3flv4g.jpg

 

S48.

P.S.Model unfortunately is not finished yet ...

...and I thought I was good at detailing wheel wells- I'm definitely not worthy! Amazing job!
 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/11/2016 at 10:59 AM, tonyot said:

Bought this kit at the weekend,......superb,........it is the MPM kit and includes the parts for a Boston Mk.III and early A-20 Havoc bomber, plus the British BP night fighter nose and Turbinlight nose (no flat windscreen though), so well worth getting hold of,....even if the clear nose is a bitch to fit!

 

Cheers

            Tony

 

 

Strange they would include the Turbinlite and RAF NF nose, but no decal options. Now I just need to remember what the differences between the various RAF marks were! (Is that a Boston II nose as well?)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

 

 

Strange they would include the Turbinlite and RAF NF nose, but no decal options. Now I just need to remember what the differences between the various RAF marks were! (Is that a Boston II nose as well?)

 

Hi Dave

 

Those parts are shown as not to be used in the instruction sheet so I guess they came with a previous SH kit of another variant. Btw the plastic in this kit is different from the usual vinyl-like rubbery SH stuff which often seems impervious to all forms of glue, being a more conventional, harder plastic.

 

Regards

Nick

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nick Millman said:

Btw the plastic in this kit is different from the usual vinyl-like rubbery SH stuff which often seems impervious to all forms of glue, being a more conventional, harder plastic.

 

Now that is good to know - moves this kit right to the top of the wishlist. Thanks Nick!

 

Cheers,

Bill

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uncle Dick said:

Why they did not open up the bomb bay in the MPM Havoc range is my major gripe...

Maybe they couldn't find any good photos or an unmodified aircraft to use as a guide; IIRC, there aren't any examples on the UK side of the pond to examine. I have been up close and personal with two preserved examples here, and while both had bomb bay doors that could be operated, both bomb bays were completely gutted of any equipment or structures. Rod Lewis, who has a large part of his collection here in San Antonio, is restoring an A-20, but I haven't seen any photos of it that show the bomb bay- I'll check for you. There is an excellent but very expensive book on the A-20 by William Wolfe on the A-20, and it has good photos and diagrams of the bomb bay. Sure is a handsome airplane in any scheme you choose! Wish they had at least supplied the bomb bay doors, roof, and bulkheads!

 

Mike

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nick Millman said:

 

Hi Dave

 

Those parts are shown as not to be used in the instruction sheet so I guess they came with a previous SH kit of another variant. Btw the plastic in this kit is different from the usual vinyl-like rubbery SH stuff which often seems impervious to all forms of glue, being a more conventional, harder plastic.

 

Regards

Nick

 

Good to know, presumably SH either didn't know Revell's intentions re markings or didn't switch off the gates to those parts. I don't think previous NF versions had all the parts.

 

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/MPM/MPM_Douglas_Havoc_II_Turbinlite/MPM_Douglas_Turbinlite.html

 

http://www.modelingmadness.com/scott/allies/previews/specialhobby-mpm/72565a.jpg

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...