New Revell P-70 Havoc Query?

tonyot

s48,

I found  the site I have attached a link to below that shows several good photos of  Rod Lewis' A-20G, which has evidently recently been restored- the first group shows bomb bay and cockpit  details, and there are numerous photos of some of the other aircraft in his ever-expanding collection. I'm sure the A-20 will be at one of our local airshows in the near future, and I'm going to shoot a ton of detail photos; when I do, I'll let you know. Maybe these few photos will give you a good idea of what the basic structure/equipment looks like. Can't wait to see your model finished!

Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=lewis+air+legends+a-20&biw=1280&bih=654&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiez_2-pqbQAhXqilQKHRvNCigQ_AUICSgE&dpr=1

• Like 2

On 12/11/2016 at 11:15 PM, Dave Fleming said:

Strange they would include the Turbinlite and RAF NF nose, but no decal options. Now I just need to remember what the differences between the various RAF marks were! (Is that a Boston II nose as well?)

Hiya Dave,......yes there is a 12 gun Boulton Paul nose included which I believe was fitted to the Mk.II (I`ve tried to show the noses built up at the front of my photo),......the NF variants also had flat fighter style windscreens,.....not sure about the Turbinlite Mk.III`s though? I`ll be building a couple of these as Fleet Air Arm Turbinlites when I have the sponduliks to buy some more! 

All the best

Tony

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Maybe they couldn't find any good photos or an unmodified aircraft to use as a guide; IIRC, there aren't any examples on the UK side of the pond to examine. I have been up close and personal with two preserved examples here, and while both had bomb bay doors that could be operated, both bomb bays were completely gutted of any equipment or structures. Rod Lewis, who has a large part of his collection here in San Antonio, is restoring an A-20, but I haven't seen any photos of it that show the bomb bay- I'll check for you. There is an excellent but very expensive book on the A-20 by William Wolfe on the A-20, and it has good photos and diagrams of the bomb bay. Sure is a handsome airplane in any scheme you choose! Wish they had at least supplied the bomb bay doors, roof, and bulkheads!

Mike

Mike the only early model Boston in the world is the Boston III (DB-7B) at the RAAF Museum at RAAF Base Point Cook and it is displayed with a bomb doors open just no bomb racks, the early (DB-7B, A-20 A/B/C) and later A-20G/H/J/K Boston's had almost identical bomb bays just different internal colours.

Of interest is P-70A-1's (Converted A-20C's) were used in New Guinea in the night interdictor role by Night Fighter units, they used them to do night raids on Rabaul using radar to identify coastal features for night attacks , as they ran a long range tank in half the bomb bay only carried 2 x 500Ib bombs, still a shock to the Japanese to get night attacks.

Also the book by William Wolfe he helped himself to all my text on Australian Boston's from the ADF serials Website, one or two words changed but almost exact copy, now I know why some authors are reluctant to put anything on the web till a book is published as bits find there way into other peoples works!!

SidHuey,

I knew about the Point Cook Havoc- sorry to hear  about the plagiarism; I know all about that, as I've had some bits from my few modeling article attempts many, many years ago lifted and used by others also. Did not intend for my comments on the book  to be an endorsement.

Mike

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

s48,

I found  the site I have attached a link to below that shows several good photos of  Rod Lewis' A-20G, which has evidently recently been restored- the first group shows bomb bay and cockpit  details, and there are numerous photos of some of the other aircraft in his ever-expanding collection. I'm sure the A-20 will be at one of our local airshows in the near future, and I'm going to shoot a ton of detail photos; when I do, I'll let you know. Maybe these few photos will give you a good idea of what the basic structure/equipment looks like. 

Thank you! For me it will be very interesting!! Unfortunately I have not found a good enough information about the bomb bay yet ... I hope my next A-20 will be more detailed if you find (or make) a good photo!

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

... Can't wait to see your model finished!

Mike

So do I :rolleyes:!!!