Counter Insurgency...1/48 North American F-51D Mustang Fuerza Aerea Guatemalteca

#31/2016

My dad has finished his next Latin American project.
This time one of the Mustangs the FAG used for anti-guerilla fighting in the 60ies and early 70ies before the a/c were succeeded by the A-37 Dragonfly.
Hasegawa kit, Aztec decals, Mk.82 bombs from a Hasegawa weapon set, Gunze and Tamiya acrylics used. 

DSC_0001

DSC_0002

DSC_0003

DSC_0004

DSC_0005

DSC_0006

DSC_0007

DSC_0008

DSC_0009

DSC_0010

DSC_0011

DSC_0012

DSC_0013

DSC_0014

DSC_0015

DSC_0016

DSC_0017

DSC_0001

• Like 47

• 2 weeks later...

A very nice model! Agree with the others that the Mustang looks good in that unusual camo. Also the combination with modern ordnace make a difference. Have planned something similar in 1/72 with the help of fellow Britmodeller Luis Alfonso. Will tell him about the topic - seems there will be a meeting of Guatemalans here!

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Reini 78!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful clean build!!!

My brother was Crew Chief of Mustangs, and his aircraft was the number 381. This cammo was born when orders were reached to the FAG Command to Camouflage the aircraft that were previously in Natural Metal Finish. This pattern and colours were peculiar to that aircraft and the armament is something that many people said that is unbelievable but there are some picrures depicting the aircraft with Mk. 82 and in the rails commonly used to have the 5 Inches HVAR's were one each a Seven Shot Rocket Launchers, making the old pony a versatile and true counter insurgency weapon.

YOU ALL can watch many more information about this and other FAG MUSTANGS camouflage scheme and some pics dealing with some details in the HAPPY JACK GO BUGGY rebuild, as said by the experts, the most accurate Mustang rebuild to  date as the aircraft was a TIME CAPSULE, HERE:

http://www.midwestaero.com/site/Photo_Gallery/Pages/Happy_Jacks_Go_Buggy.html#7

THE INTERESTING THING IS that here is a picture depicting 366 flying lead in company of 381, my brother's aircraft; 354, and 300 with a nice SHARKMOUTH...and the original serial number of this aircraft is 44-74452...THIS IS the aircraft your Dad has built!!! Maybe looking at the pic I say your Dad would wants to do another sharkmouth FAG MUSTANG BUILD!!!

This camouflage was the very last painting scheme for the wonderful aircraft and have been watching your dad's work, a truly amazing and wonderful  one, please say my congratullations to him and thank him for his outstanding job.

Greetings to Eternal Old FAshioned Austria and Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers from Inmortal Guatemala!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2