My Wessie Threesome! Three become two.....

moaning dolphin

I have applied a good second coat so now its time to do the unveil and see how good my masking was, first thing to hitme though is the cockpit glazing and it looks a bit poor but that is really least of my worries.....see a bit later.

I nearly got away with it seeing as it was surprisingly tricky to mask. A couple of undersprays and one patch where I somehow really screwed up the taping!

20161221_194918_zpsouv0vdhm.jpg

This wasn't a problem though, a bit of tape and a touch up with a hairy stick. The yellow is really horrible for manual touching up but the blue is really sweet

20161221_194927_zpsk6ciy2s3.jpg

The colours do look very 'vibrant' shall we say but it is close up with a camera phone (or should that be a phone camera?) with the flash so its not quite so garish.

Now I did do a head on and I am a little perplexed....does it look a little squint? I cant tell if the canopy looks skewiff, if its my masking or whether I have incorporated a Hind-esque 7 degree bend to starboard. I have offered it up to a previous effort and it does seem a little different, what do you reckon? It does mean there will be no head on shots when she does go into the gallery!

20161221_194940_zpstqmgsg2g.jpg

That's all for now, I shall leave her to go off for a few days, give it a gloss and then stick a load of transfers on her, until then, laters!!

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 1

It dos seem a bit out of square.  The outside frames when seen head on should be equal

That said really love this build.  I reckon if you have used PVA to glue the windows you could get away with straightening it but it is your model so your decision.  It's nice to know you are the same as me and have the occasional blip

Rodders

1 hour ago, moaning dolphin said:

does it look a little squint?

'fraid so.   Though you'll probably only ever notice it straight on.  If this is an italeri kit, then the issue probably lies in there somewhere.

I'd say carry on - looks like you're doing a great job.

Hmmm not just me going a bit mad then! I recall I did put more filler on one side than the other.... I shall see how much it drives me mad over the Chrimbo period as to whether I'll change it or blag it!

I am still debating on that canopy more so because the inside is so mucky so may have to praise it off go make it acceptable. Whilst making up my mind I have carried on regardless.  She was given a nice gloss coat.

20161228_191658_zpsdiy1efwz.jpg

And then the transferring began. They did look OK but I have had this kit for a good few years and they are very fragile. I had problems with the first set but have managed to make do so far. Looking OK so far, I have just let them settle under a coat of micro solution and will see where we are at tomorrow.

20161228_193648_zpsbtqk9bel.jpg

That's all for now,

Bob

• Like 2

I have now finished decaling the 3. Again the rest of the decals must have been printed on the same rice paper. The window 'cut here' markings were the worst, because the windows were still masked I had to cut the inside of the square out so I could remove the masking later and didn't want decal film over the windows. This left them mightily flimsy, but it was a good test for my patience and perseverance! So here is how she sits.......

20161229_181417_zpsze7srgpe.jpg

20161229_181427_zpstt7jmhqr.jpg

20161229_181450_zpsjg2cagti.jpg

In places she does look like she was painted the day after the RNAS Portland Dope Shop Christmas party but overall I think I may get away with it. I shall put her aside for a few days before a fresh water wash to get rid of the Sol. Hopefully the decals will be rock hard by then! More work is required on the 5 as that is quite a way behind this one.

Laters!

Bob 

• Like 4

On Tuesday, January 03, 2017 at 6:42 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looks good! Not planning to dispose of my Frog kit and buy Italeri though... :)

Regards,

Adrian

The Italeri kit is a bit more refined, but what's refined if it's all wrong!

After a crimbo  hiatus I have started again on these two. Starting off with the Mk 3 I looked at the exhausts and didn't like the kit effort (no surprise there) so looked at knocking up a couple of new ones. I used tubing as close to the kit size and thinned the end. Next I made a couple of brass rings that go on the edge, at this moment I also decided to make up a sonar ring and soldered them all up.

20170107_160617_zps6dfdo648.jpg

Airfix bit of whittling later and I had 5 lovely rings, putting them aside I couldn't get over that canopy,. It was really annoying me so it was off with it!

20170107_145945_zpshglnzqzh.jpg

I cleaned it up and stuck it back on, a bit better but not perfect. Still at least the canopy is nice and clear.

20170108_183235_zpsi4evowp4.jpg

You can also see the exhaust have been painted Humbrol polished steel and fitted. Now these to me seem far too big

20170108_183244_zpsyth2b8ls.jpg

But then comparing to the kit part it isn't too bad

20170108_183355_zpsoqxfd7wo.jpg

Now hopefully the kit part is nice and accurate then all is well lol!:analintruder:

Bob

• Like 2

Now onto the Mk 5. This had slipped quite a bit behind so a catch up is required. The most tedious bit was fitting all the handles all over the shop. Canopy was fitted and all was masked. Finally as many ancillary bits as possible was fitted. Here she was ready for priming.

20170108_183211_zps294dcwuu.jpg

20170108_183219_zpsqhsllemk.jpg

And a close up of the handles

20170108_183226_zpsyqz2leku.jpg

Now first coat of primer to makes sure all is good

20170108_184211_zpszewgfuxh.jpg

Depending on that I am hoping to get some red and green on here this week.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 2

Nice, but take two demerits

(he he)

for reminding me I will have forty little handles to make for mine...

Your HAS looks much better now you have tackled the screen/ roof interchange

nice, very very

• Like 1

So we move on and the Mk 5 gets a splash of colour! A couple coats of Model master 'guards red' acrylic. The first coat was very poor but a second has come out nice.

20170111_183743_zpssn9dyvbx.jpg

I thought it was all looking tickets boo, and it was until I looked at it from the nose 

20170111_183753_zpsyw8o4phr.jpg

Once you see it you can't unseen see it. That intake does look quite ridiculous.  I have never really noticed it before but it is blatantly obvious and does look bad. Not much that I can do now I suppose. I do have a 'scrap' kit for spares so may have a look at reshaping that but it won't be done for this GB.

I then looked at the most obvious mistake, that of the tail rotor pointing the wrong way. The first thing I did was to chop the blade off right at the root and the drill a tiny hole in the corresponding parts

20170111_190607_zpstd4xslpf.jpg

You can see the mid point with the grey and the dark one is the original. I used a bit of plastic rod to help strengthen the join and reattached the blades the right way around as below

I am still waiting on PB to load the image so Ill be right back until then some music........

20170111_210928_zpsjutdkhqz.jpg

Ah there it is, they have both now been done and I have fitted the pitch change bar. This is a little thick but there isn't a lot of room for whittling it down with out destroying it. I did chop off the links and will replace these with probably fine wire. Next will be transmission paint shop where I can do both at the same time along with my 48th build as well. So until then .....

Cheerio! 

Bob

Waiting endlessly for PB!
  • Like 3

I have been bleating about this huge appendage since Pontius first flew solo, however the red has taken nicely so it is becoming... Just very nice.

I removed this scheme from mine when I began its rescue, always liked it enough, so I'll be copying you with it later in the year with my next Naval Walter.

Plenty of choices left on my Modeldecal 99 sheet. :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the kind encouragement, it's appreciated indeed! So eventually I got round to masking up the mk5 and gave it a good couple of coats (after a quick prime, learning my lesson of course!) Of Model master green. Coverage was quite nice but I was eager to see how good my masking was. Initially not too bad.

20170113_201903_zpsol2axp1x.jpg

From the other side not bad

20170113_201958_zpskclvzseq.jpg

But closer inspection highlighted a bit of bleed around the cockpit

20170113_201912_zpsakroj8g6.jpg

It looks a lot worse on camera and isn't really that bad. I did find it strangle tricky to mask this area mainly because of the handles in this area. The underside also predictably had a couple areas of light bleeding

20170113_201924_zpsw67ebvvh.jpg

But I was mightily impressed that the worst area to mask, around the pylon hinge area, it came out quite cushy :D

20170113_201937_zpskgod0rib.jpg

So there we have it for now. Tomorrow if it's warm enough (we are due -25 tomorrow! :cold:) I will give it a good gloss and then not too long until the transfers go on. I have also done some rotor head work but picks to follow.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4

So after a small hiatus I finally got round to glossing and decaling the mk5. I am using the Model decal sheet 96 (loads more options left on mine Bill as well :winkgrin:). I also needed to use some kit decals and the letters and numbers provided by extra decal. The only thing missing was a 36 inch two tone roundabout but I found one deep at the bottom of my decal stash from an old Revell Wessie 3! So decaling I did go. All the numbers and letters bar the Royal Navy's and the Rescues are individuals, trying to get them to line up, especially the serials was a right royal PITA! Any hoo the photos....

20170116_190504_zps8bziphui.jpg

20170116_190450_zpsmw0unbtf.jpg

And with her partner in crime

20170116_190526_zpsyltysuh8.jpg

Once I took the above shots I tried out the serials, these tested my patience! 

20170116_192952_zpsjerwpp9o.jpg

20170116_193009_zpsgubwx0kv.jpg

All the decals (even the kit ones!) Behaved well but I did screw up the non skid decal on the turtle back after smudging it when it was coated in Sol :doh:

Still working on the heads, more soon.

See Yas! 

Post script! Just added a coat of microsol before bed and was a bit too rough with one of the serials and spread it all over the tail cone! I have removed it totally and will try again. A mere trifle of an inconvenience :confused:

Update for disaster!
  • Like 4