Hasegawa AH-1S "Skysoldiers" 1/72

Whirly

With the moderator permission I'm attempting a race build near the end of the GB :)

I'm entering with the very nice Hasegawa kit + Fireball Modelworks decals + Maestro resin Sanders smoke pods, so here are images of the starting point:

....no, no images: Photobucket is currently down, will add them later :(

I started the kit yesterday, it is really a gem with very fine details and few pieces. I painted the cockpit black and the seats a slightly lighter shade, will add later the seatbelts. Decals are supplied for the consoles and instrument panels, they are enough since the canopy is closed.

Closing the fuselages requires some care to position the cockpit tub in the right place, unfortunately the instructions are quite small and vague in this respect. Before glueing the underside panel I attached with Patafix a pair of 10g weights to balance better the model on its skids.

Cheers Fabio

Thank you also to Modelling Minion: actually I the kit is very easy and the painting too, hope I will not have any accident along the road!

Now to more images, Photobucket is still fighting me so I'm lagging behind with the updates here.

First some flat black for the interiors and the decals applied to the instrument panels.

P_20161102_235128.jpg

As I wrote before, some weight is needed to balance correctly the model, unless you plan to glue it permanently to a display base.

P_20161102_235904.jpg

After joining the fuselage a very slight step all around was treated with Mr.Surfacer 500.

P_20161104_113359.jpg

P_20161104_113347.jpg

A rapid application of sanding sticks and flex-i-file completed the major assembly.

P_20161104_215229.jpg

P_20161104_215224.jpg

Now the model is on his skids: I added the sponsons, tailpanes and front turret, everyting good.

P_20161104_232107.jpg

All the other main parts prepared for painting. I retouched with proper putty the upper nose which had a more pronounced step and added the machine gun.

The main canopy was also prepared and it is a very tight fit, actually I feared a crack upon removing it!

P_20161105_002707.jpg

Now I'm checking all the tiny bits with images of the real thing which, being civilianized, differ in some respect from the combat planes.

See you later.

Fabio

Edited by Whirly
  • Like 2

Hi Craig, I'm going at lightspeed compared to my usual pace but I doubt I could complete more than one! :blink:

Some more updates. I finished the cockpit adding the seatbelts and some minor details.

P_20161107_215450.jpg

Then I punched some paper disks from paper to cover the holes for the VOR antennas which are not installed. The instructions tell you to fill the holes but in reality there is a metal cover. Did the same for the underside of the tailboom, don't remember why there are two holes but they should be covered.

P_20161107_221646.jpg

Another disc was used to simulate the cover for the missing IR jammer.

P_20161107_225919.jpg

More antennas installed. The basic kit provides a very comprehensive fitment, I omitted just parts F1, F2 and B6 which are not installed on these civilian machines and added a small fairing in front of the main rotor mast which seems to be missing. Strange, since it's also there on the military Cobras and is the mounting for part F1...

P_20161107_225932.jpg

Now ready for painting. Masking the canopy was quite troublesome since the frames are not well defined and I had to resort to transparent sellotape otherwise I couldn't locate were to cut with the scalpel.

P_20161107_234246.jpg

Now I'm facing a problem with the underwing rocket launchers: I mistakenly assumed they were the same as the 'live' ones but on closer scrutiny I found they are slimmer and longer than what is provided in the box, they also hold only 7 rockets instead of 19.

I'm no expert in this field, anyone knows if these are decoys or another type of rocket launcher that I can find in some 1/72 kit?

P_20161107_212951_edit_1478611181518.jpg

P_20161107_212833_edit_1478611237686.jpg

This is the resin set produced by Fireball Modelworks in 1/48, wonder why they didn't do the same in 1/72...

P_20161107_212812.jpg

• Like 1

Airbrushing session went well: Mr Color gloss black gave a brilliant finish, it smells like hell but if you need a durable and fast-drying coat it is unbeatable.

Flat white over the main rotor is Alclad primer, will follow with flat black after masking.

P_20161108_193148.jpg

Next stop is decal application, hope I won't get surprises.

Cheers Fabio

• Like 1

On giovedì 10 novembre 2016 at 10:04 AM, Whirly said:

Next stop is decal application, hope I won't get surprises.

The last famous words...

Decals are a nightmare, I still haven't finished despite the low numbers because they refuse to conform even to the slightest bump on the model. I hate when this happens!

P_20161109_231204.jpg

P_20161109_232222.jpg

Edited by Whirly

Thank you for your advices. Actually I used plenty of Micro Sol and when nothing happened i applied stronger solutions up to pure acetic acid which is the base component of Micro Sol. Well. these decals are impervious to everything! I never experienced that with ALPS printed decals which, on the contrary, are usually extremely delicate. SO, my fight continue, hope to reach a presentable finish for tomorrow's deadline.

Thank you Exdraken!

Just posted some images in the gallery.

In the end I had to leave out the rocket launchers for lack of time, however I found out that they are regular equipment for the Army helicopters and are coded M260 as opposed to M261 which is the bulkier tube usually provided in Cobra kits.

Whew! It was a race build but I did it: thank you to all who contributed and especially to the hosts for provided this space!