Light Aircraft Grey Question

Does anyone know of a good match of a Halfords spray for Light Aircraft Grey? As my Sea Devon is pretty much white on top and LAG almost everywhere else, I wondered if a rattle can would do the business. I plan to use Halfords Appliance White for the upper works. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 1

Thanks Gents

55 minutes ago, stever219 said:

There is a supplier in Bedford who can supply sprays to BS381 standards.  Search "Refinish Paints 4U".  Not sure what he charges or if he can post, but give him a tug.

2 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

According to a previous thread, Halfords Racking Grey is a good match for BS381c283 Light Aircraft Gray.

Thanks Gents

On 03/11/2016 at 11:23 PM, 825 said:

Does anyone know of a good match of a Halfords spray for Light Aircraft Grey? As my Sea Devon is pretty much white on top and LAG almost everywhere else, I wondered if a rattle can would do the business. I plan to use Halfords Appliance White for the upper works. 

Hi I've used Halfords Racking Grey on my Ethiopian B.52 it's very nice paint and a good light grey, is it a match for Light Aircraft Grey? I'd say not, I think it's a bit on the light side to be a match, but it does look ok on the model and I will use it again as a LAG substitute, If you can afford it Halfords do a colour mach service where they can mix a paint to mach any colour in some huge books, I found a Tata India car colour that was spot on for PRU blue!  I think they can also match to a BS number so if you take the BS number to them they should match it. It's more costly than a off the shelf paint and a different formula to the standard paint which if you spray directly on to the model it will attack it but if you spray first with Halfords primer it's fine.

DSC05042_zps2d4e7805.jpg  

DSC05051_zpsa4894af2.jpg  

John

• Like 4

I've got some Halfords Ford Dove Grey which I was going to use for LAG on my JP4 when I find time, has anyone else tried that?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I did Wez, I found it to be far too brown for me, it looks ok in some light but always has a brown cast.

John

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Ford Dove Grey is better for the USN grey and white scheme.

OK, that's useful to know, at least it won't go to waste.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Wez, I would still be reluctant in using even for USN aircraft, just for the beige cast.

John  

Ok John, I'll bear that in mind thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 05/11/2016 at 16:02, canberra kid said:

Hi I've used Halfords Racking Grey on my Ethiopian B.52 it's very nice paint and a good light grey, is it a match for Light Aircraft Grey? I'd say not, I think it's a bit on the light side to be a match, but it does look ok on the model and I will use it again as a LAG substitute, If you can afford it Halfords do a colour mach service where they can mix a paint to mach any colour in some huge books, I found a Tata India car colour that was spot on for PRU blue!  I think they can also match to a BS number so if you take the BS number to them they should match it. It's more costly than a off the shelf paint and a different formula to the standard paint which if you spray directly on to the model it will attack it but if you spray first with Halfords primer it's fine.

DSC05042_zps2d4e7805.jpg  

DSC05051_zpsa4894af2.jpg  

John

I suppose you mean Tata Grey, we use it on civillian Mahindra jeeps

• Like 1