As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Server Reboot Pending

We've just had notification that a patch is needed to our server's operating system to eliminate a security vulnerability that frankly, I can't see ever being exploited, as it requires the hacker to be next to the box, but we should do anyway.  I've given support permission to go ahead, so when we hit the top of the queue, they will do the work and then reboot the server so that everything takes effect.

So if you're posting anything important this evening, don't do it live on the site, or keep copying and pasting it somewhere on your PC as you go on.  Just in case the server reboots while you're doing it and you lose all your pearls of wisdom.

it's Operating System related, so shouldn't affect how the site responds, which is nice :)

On ‎6‎-‎11‎-‎2016 at 19:43, sinnerboy said:

that's what my missus says :(

Pottymouth :P

We just had a server reboot after an upgrade to some of the software that handles the database.  It's now up-to-date, and if the word on the web is to believed, we should gain a little speed advantage from it :)

There's a reboot going to take place in the next 24 hours to update some server software, so if the site goes down while you're online (I've asked for it to be done in the wee small hours GMT), please don't panic.  We'll be up after 5-10 minutes, as servers take a looooong time to reboot. :)

They couldn't do it early doors this morning because I wasn't around to give the OK (early night cos I felt rough), but they should be doing it tonight instead now.  If they can't schedule it for the required time though, I've told 'em to proceed whenever, as it'll only be down for a few minutes while the server reboots and chugs back to life.  If you've ever seen a server reboot, you'll know what I mean... thousands of lines whizzing past on the screen telling you what it's doing, for minutes on end.  If you think your router reboots slowly, that's a walk in the park compared :tired:

Something came up last night, so they're going to reboot the server now.  Stand by for a "site not available" message for a few minutes :)

A truly insightful post from you there Dave, as usual :hmmm:

View image, them copy the URL from the top:

6279094131_f8901e18ae_b.jpg

Nope.  You were a step away.  So near, and yet so far! :crying:

Oh, and the reboot happened while I was having some lunch. :)