A random lot of builds, X-15 SHAR, TB1, SR-71, 109, 190, Hurri, Spit, Hawk, He-162, F117, Jag, A-10, etc. (Added Beau)

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Good morning Hairy

I love the eclectic mix of aircraft, personal favourites of the ones posted are the Hurricane and the Blackbird. :clap:

The recent Black Widow look the business, did you need need to add any weight to it as it looks a tail sitter from side on ?

What aircraft can we look forward to seeing next and what are you currently working on ?

cheers Pat

Good evening Pat,

Thank you for the praise. Those new Airfix  kits are rather nice builds and the Hurricane is a good example of it. I remember it as happily falling together, unlike some...

The Widow... Good thing it was the longer nose version as I needed ALL the space possible for lead weight. A tail sitter is definitely what she is!

Next is the "unbuildable" Airfix Buccaneer in 1:48. I've already painted the missiles while waiting for paint to dry during this build, so I'll start pootling around with the pavla cockpit next.

After that the stash consists of one single kit, the Airfix TSR2 in 1:72nd. I'm not really fussed with that at the moment though. Will see how I feel after the Bucc.

All the best!

• Like 1

Hi Hairy

Sorry mate, my geography is shocking, I had no idea you were that far away and I believe enjoying summer ?

Only one kit left in the stash ! :frantic:

I suggest you edit that bit, :yikes: lots on here myself included have a stash that even if we were reincarnated we wouldn't finish !

:cheers: Pat

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2017 at 1:33 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Hairy

Sorry mate, my geography is shocking, I had no idea you were that far away and I believe enjoying summer ?

Only one kit left in the stash ! :frantic:

I suggest you edit that bit, :yikes: lots on here myself included have a stash that even if we were reincarnated we wouldn't finish !

:cheers: Pat

No worries Pat!

These are the joys of global interaction at work. I'm just finishing breakfast here now and about to commence another sweaty day. Summer has finally arrived and making up for lost time.

Regarding the stash, I don't want to be in that situation of never building things, so keep mine small (matches my IQ...).:rage:

All the best!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just finished the Airfix Meteor in 1:48.

(also noticed that there are broken links ...again... thanks to photo hosting companies. Will try and repair them)

The meatbox is all "out of the box" and using tamiya paints.

41981517102_b390a89851_z.jpg20180511_095517

41981544412_b983e84af5_z.jpg20180511_095234-1

41981561602_70912fa3ea_z.jpg20180511_095141-1

41125749885_58d5c8b24f_z.jpg20180511_095028-1

27155846757_583cd594ba_z.jpg20180511_095013-1

27155859937_f4cb45f79a_z.jpg20180511_094938-1

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 10

Thanks for the kind compliments.

It's always nerve wracking putting up builds, since there are so many greatly skilled modelers here.

22 hours ago, FAAMAN said:

Lovely work on the X-15 ("Pocket Money Scale" 🤔 ????), Blackbird and TB.1 😎😎

What you were able to buy when you saved up a load of pocket money! 1:72nd since 1:48 was waaay out of reach!

1:32 was on another planet entirely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, hairystick said:

What you were able to buy when you saved up a load of pocket money! 1:72nd since 1:48 was waaay out of reach! 

1:32 was on another planet entirely.

The extended family was always buying me 1/72 kits 😍 to keep me busy with the odd 1/48 scale kit that mostly just sat there.

I do not build 1/48 normally (only ever built 6 or 8 kits total and none in the past 30 years). I gave away about thirty 1/48 kits in the mid 80's to free up space mostly Monogram and ESCI kits.

I would save up my pocket money for 1/32 scale kits, like the Revell Mirage IIIO or Mirage V and 1/24 scale kits like the Harrier 😎😎

21 hours ago, FAAMAN said:

The extended family was always buying me 1/72 kits 😍 to keep me busy with the odd 1/48 scale kit that mostly just sat there.

I do not build 1/48 normally (only ever built 6 or 8 kits total and none in the past 30 years). I gave away about thirty 1/48 kits in the mid 80's to free up space mostly Monogram and ESCI kits.

I would save up my pocket money for 1/32 scale kits, like the Revell Mirage IIIO or Mirage V and 1/24 scale kits like the Harrier 😎😎

It sounds like you had a good family feeding your addiction for modelling!

That 1:24th Harrier was a curse, as it seems everyone lusted after it back then... I saved pocket money for what must have been 10yrs(?) to get one! I still have it with its brush painted finish.

A super line up there HS, truly something for everyone. Certainly far more eclectic & I suspect more fun than the modelling I intend doing, if I ever get my modelling roost back, the kids leave home & swmbo stops putting me through guilt trips for wanting some "me" time. :( Please keep sharing them, they're magic. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Hairy

Lovely job on the Meteor, Have you managed that TSR2 yet ?

I hope you have done something about the shocking state of the stash, 1 kit left indeed, that will never do !  :nono:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 11:19 AM, Head in the clouds. said:

Please tell me you did not build these over a weeks holiday😃 I do like the Habu, I feel it is a plane than can trip you up with the all black scheme but you have some great tonal variations on your build, excellent.

This lot goes back a couple of years now. I'm seriously impressed with those who manage to put out a build in a weekend, or even a few weeks in fact!

Yeah, all black aircraft are a challenge. The sled is primarily tamiya rubber black. Getting tonal variations is a challenge indeed.

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Hairy

Lovely job on the Meteor, Have you managed that TSR2 yet ?

I hope you have done something about the shocking state of the stash, 1 kit left indeed, that will never do !  :nono:

Cheers Pat 

The TSR2 is still on the shelf, along with the Italeri B-58 Hustler. That is the full extent of my stash apart from a pre-release purchase of the AMK F-14D Tomcat.

I feel the need, the need for... propellors! So a Mossie is underway at the moment.:wub:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hairystick said:

This lot goes back a couple of years now. I'm seriously impressed with those who manage to put out a build in a weekend, or even a few weeks in fact!

Yeah, all black aircraft are a challenge. The sled is primarily tamiya rubber black. Getting tonal variations is a challenge indeed.

The TSR2 is still on the shelf, along with the Italeri B-58 Hustler. That is the full extent of my stash apart from a pre-release purchase of the AMK F-14D Tomcat.

I feel the need, the need for... propellors! So a Mossie is underway at the moment.:wub:

I do hope the Hustler is the 1/48 scale version and the Mossie is the 1/24  Tsetse version with the big blooming cannon ? 

That way way you won't need your glasses to build them !

19 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I do hope the Hustler is the 1/48 scale version and the Mossie is the 1/24  Tsetse version with the big blooming cannon ? 

That way way you won't need your glasses to build them !

If only the display space would permit...

The Mossie is 1:48th and I'm very impressed with the Tamiya kit so far. Extremely well engineered and thought out.

It is impressive to think that the Mossie carried the same weight of bombs as a B-17 (early version) but with all the advantages of speed and far less crew.

We should be seeing a new Mossie rolling out of the hangar soon, since the last update from the restoration company shows some advanced stages of the build. A few more months perhaps?

The Hustler is 1:72nd out of necessity to get it into the display cabinet, but it will sit beside the Sled as a nice size/proportion comparison. I'm suspecting they will be very similar (never seen a B-58 in the flesh) and the Sled is far smaller than imagined!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The Tamiya Mossie was finished a month or so back. All OOB.

41611038940_66b6095b4d_z.jpg20180611_111652-1

41611042040_b2348f43b3_z.jpg20180611_111616-1

29548450538_7d3e32ee13_z.jpg20180611_111541-1

41611049170_d1bce1d9a6_z.jpg20180611_111516-1

Too flamin' cold to venture anywhere near the workbench currently. Nothing underway, even though the B-58 was pulled out for a week - then immediately put away again!

• Like 8

That's a lovely collection! Only thing I would say is that the 109 and 190 are crying out for a swastika on the tail (controversial as it may be to some these days). Just doesn't look quite right without them!

Edit: PS Are you still brush painting or are some of these rattle cans / airbrush?

Edited by General Jumbo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, General Jumbo said:

That's a lovely collection! Only thing I would say is that the 109 and 190 are crying out for a swastika on the tail (controversial as it may be to some these days). Just don't look quite right without them!

Edit: PS Are you still brush painting or are some of these rattle cans / airbrush?

Hi General,

Interesting that you mention that. There is a huge discussion among the warbird community regarding "authenticity" and the swastika features prominently. A topic all of its own...

The 190 now bears one, but this had to come via Hannants and a sheet of their decals. The 109 still lacks one, as this was due to "the fighter pilot's rebellion" where they refused to have them on their aircraft. An interesting topic all by itself!

Painting. I still do most of the smaller stuff using the brush as I find it faster than spending ages masking up for a 2 second spray job! Then there's the cleaning of the airbrush to do as well...

Exteriors are all airbrushed though.

Cheers for your feedback!