New Chelsea Tractor?

mbdesignart

Just having an idle internet browse and I came across this. Obviously AMG will get hold of it, drop a great big engine in, drip the interior with leather and add something like 22" wheels [if not bigger]. Coming soon to a posh school gate near you, or your boot lid in the overtaking lanes of any motorway. Doesn't the grille look a bit Doge RAM pick-up, yeee ha!

143224.jpg

• Like 1

It will come to the UK. The pick up market is erupting - Fiat and Renault are bringing out pickups, Fullback and Alaskan (albeit rebadged L200's and Navaras) as is Mercedes. This is going to be in the 1 Tonne line up, or USA 'midsize' truck range. 

But yes, it will probably be rocking ridiculous rims and not be used as a work vehicle (leaving that to real work trucks like the Hilux).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Parabat said:

But yes, it will probably be rocking ridiculous rims and not be used as a work vehicle (leaving that to real work trucks like the Hilux).

Your probably right, but the Merc work vans have been getting  a lot of  traction here in the US over the last few years so who knows.  I wonder how it will sale here in the USA.  We already have a few straight posh trucks like the Honda Ridgeline and Chevy Avalanche,  that do not sale that well compared to the "real" trucks. I guess it will come down to pricing, the US truck market is huge.  It's insane how big it actually is.

Sorry Bortig, but where did you have your taste bypass operation?:P  I hope they don't bring this to the UK but, sadly, I suspect we'll have it inflicted upon us.  I've just finished working at a building opposite a fee-paying girls' school and the number of eyesore 4x4s and SUVs turning up there has to be seen to be disbelieved.  All money, no taste unfortunately.  Are there any good looking cars being designed nowadays?  (I detect the whiff of "Old Fart" in this post.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thud4444 said:

Your probably right, but the Merc work vans have been getting  a lot of  traction here in the US over the last few years so who knows.  I wonder how it will sale here in the USA.  We already have a few straight posh trucks like the Honda Ridgeline and Chevy Avalanche,  that do not sale that well compared to the "real" trucks. I guess it will come down to pricing, the US truck market is huge.  It's insane how big it actually is.

Ha ha, yes , those Ridgelines and Avalanches just look like they're not up to much! There will always be someone who wants to rock something different, so I'm sure there will be sales but it won't knock the genuine work trucks off their perch. 

Aye, that's a good example of ugly.  And why do they pander to those with low self esteem by giving those steroid fuelled pick up trucks names like "Warrior" and "Barbarian"?  What's that all about?  Not exactly going to smooth the path to road safety.  Perhaps they should legislate to force name changes where inflamatrory names are given?  So Warrior becomes Plonker and Barbarian becomes, well you get the idea.  No offence to those who use them and need them for work etc.  We live up a hill in a rural area so a Freelander or similar is not a fashion accessory.  It's just those names.  It's like calling your dog "Throat Ripper".  

1 minute ago, old thumper said:

Why can't these people just buy proper cars? I see the people that drive this type of big ugly vehicle slow to a standstill to go over speed ramps, I thought these things were designed to go over bumpy surfaces.

Ha ha, yes, they do handle uneven surfaces very well, especially with a half ton of sand or whatever in the back! Most mid size pickups have leaf spring rear axles to handle the 1 ton payload capacity. This however gives the classic bumpy ride when unladen , hence the people who use them as cars are often driving a bit slow and steady. Plus, not many pickups win prizes for acceleration !

9 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Aye, that's a good example of ugly.  And why do they pander to those with low self esteem by giving those steroid fuelled pick up trucks names like "Warrior" and "Barbarian"?  What's that all about?  Not exactly going to smooth the path to road safety.  Perhaps they should legislate to force name changes where inflamatrory names are given?  So Warrior becomes Plonker and Barbarian becomes, well you get the idea.  No offence to those who use them and need them for work etc.  We live up a hill in a rural area so a Freelander or similar is not a fashion accessory.  It's just those names.  It's like calling your dog "Throat Ripper".  

Inflammatory names?! Smoothing the path to public safety?! Legislate to change names?! That's got to be one of the  most tenuous statements  I've seen regarding pickups! 

I've always reckoned that buying a set of wheels like that was an admission that you were totally unfit to hold a driver's licence (which, ergo, should automatically be cancelled) or even be permitted to be anywhere near a motor vehicle. SUV stands for "Stupid, Useless Vehicle".

• Like 1

The only thing this  good for is bullying other drivers , blinding you with its lights either coming toward you or worse  riding your bumper 

No tradesman will buy this as its useless for everyday workuse the pathetic pick section not big enough for any serious hauling 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, old thumper said:

Why can't these people just buy proper cars? I see the people that drive this type of big ugly vehicle slow to a standstill to go over speed ramps, I thought these things were designed to go over bumpy surfaces.

No, the things they're designed to look like go over bumpy surfaces, like my '95 Isuzu Bighorn aka Trooper (named for the mountain sheep ;):D )

Steve.

9 hours ago, Parabat said:

Inflammatory names?! Smoothing the path to public safety?! Legislate to change names?! That's got to be one of the  most tenuous statements  I've seen regarding pickups! 

Probably.  However the point remains and just asking -  "Warrior" and "Barbarian" - what daft names and whats that all about.   It would put me off buying one out of sheer embarrassment !  Every time I see one I have a chuckle and expect to see the door open and Arnie as Conan  step out.   From a marketing perspective its like naming a red sports 2 seater a "Thruster" or "Penetrator".  Bonkers names if you ask me but just my 2 p worth.

I suspect there are other daft toe curling names given to vehicles

Pick ups and four wheel drives do have their place as a utility vehicle.  Living in a rural area I'd say most are used in context.  Very not sure if they are required in the city other than in commercial use as pick ups which is fair play.  On the other hand if you really want an all black shiny and chrome  "Barbarian" then each to his own.  Its a free country and you pays your money and takes your choice.  Still I have the right to laugh at the daft names though.

PS My wife has a Freelander and thats a daftish sort of name too - still not as bad as Warrior when she would have to dress as Red Sonja  (strangely interesting thought)

Oh good grief.  I do a lot of work in the Cotswolds.  Narrow steep lanes which are icy and slushy in the winter and slippery mud through most of the year.  I drive a 10 year old Freelander (Facelift MK1).  4x4 when needed, nice comfortable driving position and quite chunky BUT it's smaller than my wife's Audi A6 Estate.  I can park it in a normal parking space or squeeze it in somewhere on a high street.  I can trundle it around a multi storey and it doesn't upset people.  Landover Defender too basic.  Range Rover just too big (and expensive) and a pain  to get around little market towns.  Why oh why people want these huge things that are a pain to drive around town or park is totally beyond me.

• Like 5