1/72 Fokker DV II in belgian colors

I picked up this little kit for around 4€ in a toystore. Post ww1 some german types saw service in the belgian airforce. most where stripped of their guns and used as trainers.

I wanted a quick build so i build it almost straight from the box, only leaving off the guns and covering the hole with plastic card and filler, i also added a windshield.

the lozenge cammo presented a problem as the kit decals only provice a black outline pattern for these and revell will have you paint each individual square by hand... seriously revell?

I googled some lozenge patters and printed these to scale, after adding belginan roundles.. these where stuck to the plastic parts using a mixture of microscale kristal kleer and pva and also given a coat with this.

For the commet on the fuselage, i first sprayer the area red and than put masking tape over a printed design, carefully cut out and masked it and than oversprayed with an off-white.

i imagine the real plane had it's fuselage recovered with new, unpainted fabric resulting in the strange, but striking design.

original decals asside, and considdering it's vintage, this is a little gemn of a kit, and given there's more interesting conor schemes for it, i'd certainly be tempted to pick another one up.

441b9f13-2fab-4f9a-9d7d-557b01488a15.jpg

IMG_20161030_081536.jpg

IMG_20161030_081605.jpg

IMG_20161030_081629.jpg

26f99c52-014c-419d-9aa4-ff8e7e30db6f.jpg

IMG_20161030_081708.jpg

• Like 17

Very nice indeed.  The lozenge pattern technique you used has worked well.  I really like the engine/radiator and that wooden effect you've done on the prop ! :goodjob:

BillyD

Very nice, I think Blue Rider do decals for a similar one & its one I'm keen to do. I've been on a Belgian AF  bent since visiting the Museum in Brussels a couple of years ago & have been steadily accumulating kits & decals since.

Steve.