Trumpeter 1/350 Admiral Lazarev Battlecruiser

box20art_zpsfy5bizia.jpg

hi everyone

With the completion of my C-5b Galaxy in sight, I though this might be a good chance to step outside my usual comfort zone and try something new - a ship model. I normally don't do ships - in fact, this will be my first one (excluding the Typhoon sub). I also have the Tamiya Enterprise and New Jersey in the stash, but I chose this because I love the sharp shape of the bow and the overall aggression it emanates. 

Also, surprisingly, I haven't been able to find too many builds of the Lazarev online. I've found numerous Pyotr Velikiy builds - although mostly in 1/700 and a few Ushakov's but not many of the 'Laz

Not that it really matters as all four of them look awesome.

So, what's the kit like? Well, I really like it. I've read a few negative comments about from the usual rivet counters and Trumpeter bashers but to be honest, they were so trivial I couldn't be bothered reading more. I mean really, you would have to know the ship inside out to really notice what the hell they were on about and I am not one of them, so I shall be building it as is. I have bought and am waiting on delivery of the Gold Medal Models PE set of handrails which I think will really add to it.

Upon looking at the contents, I noted that Trumpeter have molded the walls of the superstructure in clear. I have no idea why they would do that....at all! I can't really imagine anyone wanting to light it. Not sure what the reasoning behind that was but have a look for yourselves:

IMG_4044_zpsgkf9yrjn.jpg

Anyways, I'm sure they know what they're doing even if I don't :)

I made a start on it last night by adding the small details on the bottom of the hull.

IMG_4039_zpsax6hrtko.jpg

IMG_4035_zpsmqcuyvuq.jpg

Just look at that beautiful bow shape:

IMG_4037_zpszwdqdxmm.jpg

IMG_4042_zpsi06rxhyd.jpg

Now, I have one big questions for all you maritime modellers out there: Is it best to paint the decks first then assemble the superstructure and attach or assemble it all together first then paint?

Anyways, that's all I have for now, but thanks for looking

MH

• Like 5

Nice project! Not much for Russian ships, but that bow is sharp looking. Reminds me of the Arleigh Burke class.

The only reason I can think of to have the bridge in clear is to give the option of masking the windows. Some people like that.

Any extras other than PE, or is this a straight build?

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

Thanks Thom, I'm glad to see someone is interested in this other than just me :)

It'll be a straight build with the PE set only, although I did add some detail to the AK-130 last night (hand hold bars)

Hi Madhatter, looking forward to seeing this build progress.

Re. the decks. Personally speaking I have always found it easier to paint them first, and likewise with any areas on the superstructure that will be difficult to access with the brush once the parts are in place.

Regards, Ross. 

• Like 1

hi 

always fancied building one of these, so looking forward to following this build 

as for decks, always found it easier to paint it first then start attaching deck fittings

• Like 2

thanks guys

I've been thinking I should paint the decks first so I will take the advice of the above :)

The PE arrived today but I won't get back to this kit until the weekend. I still need to buy the relevant paints as well, so will try to get to a hobby shop on Friday after work. 

thankfully, this ship doesn't have a wooden deck! I am not too good at simulating wood finish and I don't have to buy a separate AM deck :)

Oh - and welcome to the forums h20 :welcome: 

greetings all

I have been slowly plugging away at this and have laid down the first bit of paint onto the hull with white primer and red underneath. I'm thinking the red maybe a bit to bright, but a flat coat ought to solve that.

I have been searching online a lot for a replacement AK-130 gun turret but believe it or not, there is not one to be had in 1/350 scale. 1/700 and 1/200 yes, but not 350th! I have no idea why not. I know WEM used to have one but that's long discontinued and rarer than rocking horse pooh. So, I have had to make do with adding detail to the Trumpeter one. It's not too bad, but the barrels sit far to low down and the platform below them is missing, but I shall endeavor to make do. I have added some hand hold bars made from stretched sprue to make it more interesting

IMG_4061_zpsbwnzzqbg.jpg

I have also made my first ever PE radar set! yay for me :D

As well as that, the aft light platform and from yard arm have been made up. I do like that yard arm - it's sooo much better than the kit blob

IMG_4062_zps0wzci2ds.jpg

IMG_4059_zpsiohtbpsw.jpg

IMG_4058_zps9eko4ynx.jpg

IMG_4064_zpsdo3mswve.jpg

well, that's all I have for now sorry. I'm still trying to get the right shade of orangey/brown for the top deck - I am getting closer each time but man, am I using so much paint trying to get it right. Never mind - I'll get there in the end -  I hope :)

As always, thanks for looking

MH

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 12

Nice work there mate, I have Kirov in the stash so I'll enjoy this. The Trumpy ship kits are pretty good and the inaccuracies that some moan about are really quite minor, mostly windows missing or wrongly located.  The AK130s look pretty good too.

• Like 1

hi mate 

coming along nicely

must have a patience of a saint with all that photo-etch

as for deck colour look on sovereign hobbies site, its in colourcoats sea

m13 russian deck red  they also do the russian surface grey colours too

hope this helps:blink:

• Like 3

I don't think Colourcoats will work for our Madhatter, postage is expensive for the UK let alone Ozville. 

What's your preferred weapon of choice for paints Hatter? Russian deck red is quite a rusty orange-red. Google images of the missile cruiser Varyag passing under the Golden Gateate bridge in San Francisco for good views of the deck colour.

Part of the decks will be a charcoal grey a bit like Revell no.9 Anthracite.

If you do go for Colourcoats then, as h20 says, they do the hull colours too, I'm pretty sure Lazarev was Pacific fleet.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

hey thanks for the heads up on the Colourcoats range. I found an Australian stockist of said range and have now got a pot on order. For those in Aus who want this range, creative stock them amongst other things. Incidentally, Its the same place I bought the PE set from as well

I'm using Gunze H334 for the deck colouring. It seems to match pretty well with pictures I have

• Like 2

I was reading that the Kirov is far gone though to bring back up to ocean going capacity, and the Lazarev wasn't too far behind it, but apparently it's on it's way to being refitted. 

Wicked looking ships aren't they

• Like 2

yeah - have to admit, I do like the Typhoon a lot! I have the HB one yet to build. I don't like their carriers as much as some of their other ship designs, but I would still like to get one just to go alongside the Lazarev.

Yep, I have to agree with you about the carriers, I don't like the ramp and head on they look incredibly off balance! Typhoons are groovy too, but their best looking sub for me is the Alpha, very sleek and looks as fast as their reputation!

greetings everyone

Well, work continues slowly on-wards. I must admit, I am quite enjoying the change in subject matter. I'm finding the PE rasiling a challenge - it's certainly no where near as neat and tidy as a lot of PE rails I've seen on this forum, but this is my first time with them, so I am giving myself a break :)

here is the current progress:

IMG_4084_zps8yrhlrrn.jpg

IMG_4085_zpsgvd0yu5z.jpg

IMG_4087_zpsrr8wod2q.jpg

IMG_4088_zpsnukw2lj0.jpg

IMG_4089_zps9vqqxdlz.jpg

Just waiting on the arrival of my Sovereign paints so I can paint the decks.

I will try harder to get nice straight PE railings from here on :)

MH

• Like 2

hi guys

I've been plodding along with this one and have got some base painting done. Still need to touch up some bits and bobs, but it's getting there

IMG_4093_zpsf2j3vg6h.jpg

72b7a1f2-0838-4d65-a9fe-1ca6ec22c67a_zps

IMG_4096_zpsnflxctf6.jpg

IMG_4097_zps9azqju9w.jpg

IMG_4098_zpsdgm64okp.jpg

IMG_4099_zpsijruazsv.jpg

IMG_4100_zpsxiyvgutj.jpg

IMG_4101_zpshtcrhkq8.jpg

IMG_4102_zpsuwstsymq.jpg

IMG_4104_zpsmm3y5sre.jpg

IMG_4105_zpshgr6esqn.jpg

the above parts are still being painted. I'll have some proper images of those later - most likely tomorrow

Thanks for looking

Si

• Like 6

It's looking good. The P.E. work is really good. I wouldn't worry how some of the railings look, under a magnifier my P.E. work looks a bit rough, but from a normal viewing distance they look fine.

Andy

• Like 1