Trumpeter Vampire F.Mk5 1/48 Gold shark

This one is a little in between kit I wanted to build to test a new paint (Vallejo liquid metal; copper gold) and to summon up the courage to finally go all out on the Tamiya 1/32 F16 I got from my better half. She got me the kit in exchange for me having to wear a pair of skinny jeans she bought for me against my clear and immutable wishes. I strongly feel no man should ever wear pants that cling to their legs as if they're wearing leggings. But well, the slut I am, for a €160,- Tamiya kit I do a LOT (maybe I should not have said that here...).

To save myself; I only wore it once, which makes me a rather expensive slut actually :P 

But anyways, I found the Vampire in the local shop and having a weakness for perculiar planes and the pricing and my experience with Trumpeter was ok I thought it would make a nice in-flight model. At first glance I was very content with the kit, the molding is nice and detailed and I didn't see a single problem with it. Later after reading here for a bit I found out it's not the best kit in terms of accuracy. But then again, a nice excuse for me to take some artistic freedom myself. I imagined it as a special show version of an existing livery. Plus the gold paint used makes sure my blonde crow tolerates the end-result in the living room which is an added bonus, in general anything shiny goes with her.

For paints I used Vallejo silver and military green (if I remember correctly) and the Vallejo liquid metal; copper gold. All from my trusty airbrush. Panel lining was done with flat black and dark gray acrylic heavily diluted with Vallejo airbrush thinner after a good gloss coating of Tamiya clear gloss from the rattlecan and some time in between. For the rest I used my Tamiya weathering kit (metal) to darken a few panels, give it some depth and a copper detail. I wanted to pose it in flight so the landing gear bays were closed as tidy as my clumsy fingers allowed and filled with a bit of Tamiya putty, sanded and "re-scribed" (which I am very bad at). The base was left over from a binned Revell kit I couldn't be bothered with finishing painted flat black (actually the best painting of the whole end-result). Decals were set with Tamiya decal solution and sealed with a few coats of Vallejo satin finish from the airbrush.

Anyways, I hope you guys appreciate the result. As usual I see more flaws than good sides but that's the thing we all have to live with, it's definitely not my best build but I like it regardless. The canopy is way below what it should be (I've managed to fix it a bit after the photo's were taken) and I've overlooked a critical panel line near the exhaust. The paint in particular is way to "murky" to my taste and I feel I've overdone the weathering. But then again, I really like the Japanese style clean look so on the other hand I'm actually quite pleased I've gotten a more weathered result for once. I hope you guys enjoy, I welcome all tips and suggestions so please don't hold back.

w1p2w4.jpg

kmNWeB.jpg

JZDFjk.jpg

2JEZ7E.jpg

Thanks for watching!

This really is a lovely forum and I'm happy to be a part of it.

Kas.

Edited by Kasparov
Spelling
  • Like 21

7 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Nice build and story ;)

How are you gonna paint the Viper if you 'd like to see her from time to time?

😎

Haha since it's going to be 3 shades of grey and it'll be almost two feet long I'm pretty sure the bird will get a cage in my new mancave I'll hope to have in a few months. 

I might paint it more shades of grey so she'll allow it in the bedroom?

...padum tss....

Hmmm many shades of grey usually qualify for the cellar only ....

I thought you 'd go for another fiction paint scheme 

back on topic, there was a Sabre dudplay team that had similar colors like your fancy Halloween Vampire!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

That looks pretty great to me. That copper color isn't easy to get right,  but you really nailed it. 

What's so wrong with the accuracy of this kit?

Thanks for the compliment!

This build topic quite adequately and in a thorough and detailed fashion points the flaws of the Trumpeter kit out and corrects them with verve. Definitely a WIP to read if you're interested!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933298-alleycat-vs-trumpeter-dh-vampire-fb9-build-off-calling-bloodsucker-fans-now-with-added-trumpeter-ness/

Edited by Kasparov
Spelling
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, exdraken said:

I thought you 'd go for another fiction paint scheme 

Oh it will be fictional. But more in a sense of "blast where did I lose that decal" and wildly flaying with the airbrush exactly at the most crucial moment.

9 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Looks good to me too! Hope you've voted for & will sign on to the Silver & Gold GB:

I reckon you've definitely got tips & tricks to offer ...

g.

Thanks, I'll look into it :)

• 1 year later...

I love what you've done with this kit!

However, just be aware that the real aircraft was mostly constructed of plywood, including the wing and fuselage skinning. 

Great Vampire 👍 ... Love the look of the plane with the different panels. After all the talk of the F-16 & Gold paint. I figured you were going to do this F-16 ? JNJFYtL.jpg

South Dakota A.N.G. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1