Tamiya 1:35 Challenger 1 Mk3

This is my Challenger 1 MK 3. It is mainly how it came from the box, with no alterations regarding accuracy except for the addition of PE parts. My knowledge of tanks is very limited and I didn't have the time to study the real thing in detail on the Internet, but I did attempt for the first time to create my own camo netting and tarpaulins instead of paying out a lot of dosh. Using poetic justice I did create some covers for the side accessory pods. Though it may not be real, I thought it looked ok.

So, I hope you enjoy viewing the photo's and look forward to any comments, good or bad, as they make us better at what we do.

To follow the build in the WIP forum please click here

CH01_zpsfqphrbqr

CH21_zpsufkz2qy9

CH22_zpsn649f9me

CH23_zpszycpro4w

CH24_zpsdlcjfwve

CH25_zps1rftnywl

CH26_zpsxmhicmba

CH27_zpszlzdbmh0

CH28_zpskisgeogr

CH29_zpsxhfncwvr

CH30_zpssnfhu2nk

CH32_zpswwtsb4ed

CH33_zpssauljfay

CH34_zpsnlgzkewa

CH35_zps4hbdygva

CH36_zpslia09zfu

CH37_zpsjhwn1xjb

CH38_zps0n8uiirz

CH40_zpsm98r9npq

Edited by ukmodeller
update images
  • Like 14

Great job. Nicely painted. Whilst your camo net and tarps are nice improvement, I think the camo net is in need of some additional work... that being the adding of some raggedy strips of rag... not sure what the correct term is but they replicate leaves and improve the camouflage characteristics of the scrim.

Rearguards,

Badder

On 31/10/2016 at 5:15 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice job, I like the crews camouflage.

Thanks Ozzy.

I used to be very wary of doing camo on figures as it never seemed to go right. Then I just got the hump one day and just kept dabbing the figures with several colours and, believe it or not, I discovered that my problem used to be that I fussed too much. Now I just keep dabbing and eventually they seem to come up fairly ok.

Kevin

• Like 2

On 31/10/2016 at 5:35 PM, Carius said:

Very nice indeed.

Cheers

On 31/10/2016 at 8:23 PM, kwality8 said:

Good work!

On 31/10/2016 at 7:27 PM, FrancisGL said:

A model very detailed and carefully painted, :goodjob:, cheers Kevin :)

On 31/10/2016 at 10:49 PM, TheStig said:

Excellent work, Love the camo on the figures 

Thanks guys. Appreciate the great feedback.

Cheers

On 31/10/2016 at 8:31 PM, Widow 65 said:

Very nice.

An "old school" Chally, dont see many of these on here, everyone opts for the Op Granby type with add-on armour.

Nice one!!

Thanks Widow. I think that, sometimes, less can be better. In my early days (in the 60's) of building tanks, I remember watching tank maneuvers on TV where the tanks had no skirting and you could actually see the individual suspension units working on each wheel. Amazing sight to see. Today with all the armour plating, you miss most of that.

On 31/10/2016 at 8:51 PM, Badder said:

Great job. Nicely painted. Whilst your camo net and tarps are nice improvement, I think the camo net is in need of some additional work... that being the adding of some raggedy strips of rag... not sure what the correct term is but they replicate leaves and improve the camouflage characteristics of the scrim.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder. I know what you mean. I actually watched a video of someone creating those tabs and it did look good. I wasn't up to it at the time but I may just go back and give that a try.

Cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Nice job! could i suggest a wash with some oil paints just to bring the details out.

Thanks Ivan-o

Funny you should suggest that. I watched a video of someone doing just that and it looked great. Alas, when I tried it on a previous kit I either made the mix too thick or too watery and just couldn't get it right so gave up. I am just getting used to weathering and now I have made my own tarps so the next stage would have to be trying the wash again.

As I've found before, I seem to do better when I actually buy a product that is made especially for the job. I have tried to cut corners with cost and it seems to backfire on me.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

Da

11 minutes ago, ukmodeller said:

Thanks Badder. I know what you mean. I actually watched a video of someone creating those tabs and it did look good. I wasn't up to it at the time but I may just go back and give that a try.

Cheers

Bloomin good stuff that scrim/camo netting. I once lay in an 8 inch deep ditch right beside a forest track while a wearing the cloak of the stuff (plus a few bits of additional heather here and there) and a sentry stopped and stood with his right foot 3 inches from my nose, and he didn't see me.

Oh, and using oil paints for washes. I always used enamel washes. Enamels will wash over enamel undercoats without the need for varnishes, so long as the undercoat is properly dry. They will wash over acrylics better than acrylics do. But yes, since returning to modelling after 35yrs, I have given oil washes a go. I suppose they do have a longer drying time and can be messed about with and if needs be, removed easily, but I am yet to be completely converted. Personally, I don't feel pressured into trying something new if I'm having success with the old.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wogga said:

Just love anything armour and  British. Bumped into them at first light one morning moving out of a hide awesome.

Lucky you. I bet the sound of them starting up was amazing. I'm going to have to go to a tank museum someday soon.

20 hours ago, ukmodeller said:

Thanks Widow. I think that, sometimes, less can be better. In my early days (in the 60's) of building tanks, I remember watching tank maneuvers on TV where the tanks had no skirting and you could actually see the individual suspension units working on each wheel. Amazing sight to see. Today with all the armour plating, you miss most of that.

I was a crewman on the Chally both before and after the uparmouring.  Those were the simpler times when you knew where "the Enemy" was going to come from!!!

On 01/11/2016 at 11:30 PM, Badder said:

Da

Bloomin good stuff that scrim/camo netting. I once lay in an 8 inch deep ditch right beside a forest track while a wearing the cloak of the stuff (plus a few bits of additional heather here and there) and a sentry stopped and stood with his right foot 3 inches from my nose, and he didn't see me.

Oh, and using oil paints for washes. I always used enamel washes. Enamels will wash over enamel undercoats without the need for varnishes, so long as the undercoat is properly dry. They will wash over acrylics better than acrylics do. But yes, since returning to modelling after 35yrs, I have given oil washes a go. I suppose they do have a longer drying time and can be messed about with and if needs be, removed easily, but I am yet to be completely converted. Personally, I don't feel pressured into trying something new if I'm having success with the old.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder.

I don't think my heart could take that, having someone stand that close and hoping my camo would hide me enough.............think I'd just get up and run, run, run...........

Re: The enamel washes, sounds like a plan. What do you dilute them down with? The usual thinners? If so, what sort of dilution mix would be wise? I mainly use acrylics so would like to give it a go.

Cheers

Kevin

• Like 1

On 02/11/2016 at 8:05 PM, Widow 65 said:

I was a crewman on the Chally both before and after the uparmouring.  Those were the simpler times when you knew where "the Enemy" was going to come from!!!

Ah! That was when men were men and faced their enemy. I don't think those days will return.........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ukmodeller said:

Re: The enamel washes, sounds like a plan. What do you dilute them down with? The usual thinners? If so, what sort of dilution mix would be wise? I mainly use acrylics so would like to give it a go.

Hi,

Yes, just the  usual enamel thinners. As for the dilution that varies depending on the effect I want. I'm not one for measuring out ratios, but we're generally talking using 'dirty thinners' then adding paint as and if required, testing the dilution as I go.  

Badder

• Like 1