1/48th Lone Star/ Revell conversion- Marauder Mk.I, 14 Sqn, RAF, N.Africa 1943.

14 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Really nice model. But I have to ask about the aircraft history document. Did this aircraft attack a hospital ship? :huh:

Thanks,.......as for the hospital ship,......no it wasn`t attacked but as a matter of course it was photographed, as seen in the log book. 

Cheers

Tony

• 10 months later...

Damn you Tony😁

I was already to do my marauder as "Big Hairy Bird"  Reading this and your messages to me decided me the conversion was just too difficult, but then Ive reconsidered after re reading this post.

Somewhere along the way, I have lost my clear parts, so have contacted Mike from LSM hoping he can find some spare parts for me , otherwise do not know what I will do about the tail gun position.  If Mike comes through, I will do mine as  a desert camouflaged machine.  Can you tell me if this machine would have had underwing roundels, Im guessing C1 type?

Can you also confirm you cut the wings on that chord wise panel lines just outboard of the nacelle?

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by pacificmustang
forgot something

On 8/12/2018 at 3:32 AM, pacificmustang said:

Damn you Tony😁

I was already to do my marauder as "Big Hairy Bird"  Reading this and your messages to me decided me the conversion was just too difficult, but then Ive reconsidered after re reading this post.

Somewhere along the way, I have lost my clear parts, so have contacted Mike from LSM hoping he can find some spare parts for me , otherwise do not know what I will do about the tail gun position.  If Mike comes through, I will do mine as  a desert camouflaged machine.  Can you tell me if this machine would have had underwing roundels, Im guessing C1 type?

Can you also confirm you cut the wings on that chord wise panel lines just outboard of the nacelle?

Cheers

Bruce

Hiya Bruce,......if you don`t get a replacement clear glazing don`t worry too much as it isn`t a great fit anyway and you can always depict it as opened up,.... the sides folded down into the solid section.

The 14 Sqn Marauder Mk.I`s which were painted in desert colours,....... around 4-5,...... only wore this scheme briefly before being repainted for coastal work,..... and as far as I know they did not wear under wing roundels in any of their schemes.  

I did the cut lines as per the instructions,........I`m pretty sure that was aling the panel line,......I`ll check the in progress photos.

Good luck with your model mate,..... it is a beast of a conversion but well worth it at the finish!

Sorry I`m late replying,.....I`ve been away in Italy.

Cheers

Tony  

PS,..... Here is the WIP in case it helps you;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235009869-148th-scale-marauder-mki-monogram-kit-with-lone-star-resin-conversion-set-finished/&tab=comments#comment-2500199

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Nice work, Tony, I had not seen this before.  I have this conversion underway at the moment and I've made it worse by adding a lot of PE.  Here's two pictures of my wing cuts that worked well.  It was kind of a scary process until everything fit well.

0051b26.jpg

0061b26.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Thanks Tony

Ill let you know how I go

Cheers

Bruce

No worries mate,..... good luck and I cannot wait to see the end result!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Nice work, Tony, I had not seen this before.  I have this conversion underway at the moment and I've made it worse by adding a lot of PE.  Here's two pictures of my wing cuts that worked well.  It was kind of a scary process until everything fit well.

0051b26.jpg

0061b26.jpg

Thanks,..... looks like your cut is a little inboard from mine,.....glad it fits OK.  Good luck with your conversion too and as with Bruce`s project,...I`d love to see the finshed model

great pics Jeaton. Tony, I was going to say, they look a little inboard from yours.  I'll cut just outboard of the panel line and sand back on mine, I think.

Tony, re the transparencies.  I noticed you sanded the frame line off the nose blister. but on photos of Dominion Triumph and Kermit Week's airframe I'm still seeing a frame line there. Is it higher or something?

Also rear tail gunner glass, so If I was to portray this open, it would be just the central frame with the socket for the gun?  The clear panels slid down inside the position.  Is that correct?

Mike West got back to me and id sending me a couple of replacements, but I like the idea of showing it open too

Cheers

Bruce

10 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

great pics Jeaton. Tony, I was going to say, they look a little inboard from yours.  I'll cut just outboard of the panel line and sand back on mine, I think.

Tony, re the transparencies.  I noticed you sanded the frame line off the nose blister. but on photos of Dominion Triumph and Kermit Week's airframe I'm still seeing a frame line there. Is it higher or something?

Also rear tail gunner glass, so If I was to portray this open, it would be just the central frame with the socket for the gun?  The clear panels slid down inside the position.  Is that correct?

Mike West got back to me and id sending me a couple of replacements, but I like the idea of showing it open too

Cheers

Bruce

Hiya Bruce,...... re the wing cut,....... you are best to just compare the resin wing to the kit wing chord wise and then cut slightly outboard of the line,... then sand back,.... that is what I did. 

Re the nose transparency,..... the Mk.I did not have the framing for the .5in Browning,.... there was just a simple frame in the middle.

Rear gunner glazing,....... I useed the kit parts,...... but cut away the rear section. This just left the two clam shell clear doors to use from the conversion set,...... although they are far too large. It would be easy to cut sections of clear plastic and mount them in the open position, inside the rear cone. Maybe these pics will help;

X 7e215ed736393acecd1738eef74b4178--gun-turret-military-force

X B26_Av_4312_news_p225_W

W24

W23

There is a photo of an RAF Marauder rear gunner in his position with the doors opened,...... but I cannot find an electronic copy of it! The RAF gun was not fitted with the external armour,...... I think that the position originally had a .3in Browning,..... but that a .5in was later fitted,.....although I could be wrong? 

Also,...... the conversion set spinners were far too large,..... I ordered a set of resin P-61 Black Widow propellers and these spinners were perfect,... they make the model look much better..  

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Excellent Tony! That was quite an effort you pulled off.

Very well done.

All the Best!

Don

Thanks Don,....... oh it did test my patience mind you!! 

Tony, my wings fit fine with that cut.  I did as you say and cut a little outboard and then filed to fit.  Not happy to hear that the tail transparency was too large, I haven't dealt with that yet.  I'd rather have it closed up for that "sleek" look.🚀

0091b26.jpg

• Like 2