1/48th Lone Star/ Revell conversion- Marauder Mk.I, 14 Sqn, RAF, N.Africa 1943.

Hiya Folks,

I`ve wanted to build a 1/48th scale Marauder Mk.I for quite some time and for a Christmas prezzie last year I received the Lone Star early B-26 conversion from the USA complete with the `Hot Rod Marauders' decal sheet from Red Gecko Productions. This was combined with a Revell boxing of the venerable Monogram B-26B Marauder kit and I began work on the project as part of the Britmodeller MTO Group Build, with the WIP being here for anybody who is interested, which also explains the colour scheme in more detail; 

Well it was quite a struggle and here is a pic of the main airframe parts together including the new resin outer wing parts and tail;

DSCF9051

DSCF9049

The airframe was sanded smooth and rescribed with the armour from the nose sanded smooth and the rear waist windows filled in and moved further back, easier said than done considering that the Revell plastic was like reinforced steel! A new set of spinners and wheels intended for a P-61 Black Widow were also incorporated into the build.

This is the subject aircraft,....which like many of the early 14 Sqn Marauder Mk.I`s bore a locally applied version of the Temperate Sea Scheme for their low level over water armed recce/ torpedo bomber role, consisting of what appears to be Olive Drab and a dark grey such as Extra Dark Sea Grey,....possibly with the original US Neautral Grey undersides. A desert scheme had been applied to these aircraft in anticipation of 14 Sqn returning to its previous light bomber role over the desert, but this was soon modified for their eventual maritime role. The subject aircraft was Marauder Mk.I, FK142/R, `Dominion Triumph' usually flown by the CO Wing Commander Dick Maydwell;

H9-Dick Maydwell in front of Dominion TriumphH8b-Dick Maydwell at the controlsH10a- DOMINION TRIUMPHH5-FK375 Dominion Revenge

H4b-FK375 Dominion Revenge Dick Maydwell note orig Mid Stone around name

Plus another pic in the desert scheme which it was originally repainted into, before the maritime role was confirmed;

H1b-Title...Stan Piet Maryland museum

Here is some colour artwork done by 14 Sqn Marauder crews at the time;

H13- Deramore Marauder painting

Note the camouflage on the drawing;

h14a- George Gilbert Graham- Log Books 1&2 152

And finally,....at last,....here is the finished model, armed with a torpedo from a Tamiya Swordfish and mounted on a scratch built mounting;

DSCF9355DSCF9348DSCF9349DSCF9356DSCF9360DSCF9359DSCF9362DSCF9327DSCF9340DSCF9338DSCF9361

Sorry for so many pics,.....but I hope that you like it, I`m certainly pleased to have added this to my collection and finally finished what was a very demanding conversion! As usual with my models, this was brush painted, using a mixture of Tamiya, Polly Scale and Aeromaster acrylics ,

All the best

Tony 

PS,.....here it is with its little 1/72nd scale brother, built as FK375/D `Dominion Revenge';

DSCF9364

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Tony, nice to see an RAF example :goodjob: would be good to see a new tool  B-26 in 1/48th.

Guy

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind comments everybody,......they were all very much appreciated and have cheered me up while I`ve been a bit down in the dumps and  `confined to barracks' so to speak due to my ongoing back problems!

Cheers

Tony

Well Tony that's a cracking conversion.  I had the 1/48 Marauder and always fancied doing it as a RAF bird but didn't know where to start.  Sold her on.

Now I will expect you to do just as good a conversion job when perhaps HK Models complement their 1/32 Mitchell with a Marauder as you now have the mantel of BM resident RAF Marauder experten

Damn nice model

PS hope the back gets better soon

• Like 1

Very nice build and finish Tony.

Your unusual (to me) scheme suits the ‘Widow-Maker’ very well.....

I am also impressed by your weathering on the tires............. most convincing.

Good job mate!

• Like 1

Another cracker Tony, with your usual impeccable build & finish, lovely!!

I do like the way I seem to learn something new from every model you post - like Woody, torpedos on a Marauder were new to me (as was the colour scheme!)

Hope the back is giving you less gyp.

ATB

Keith

• Like 1

In case anybody is interested,......I have re applied the photos for this article, replacing those removed by Photobucket by some downloaded onto Flickr,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Way to go, Tony! Can't make up my mind which one of the two I like best! Outstanding job on both, sir! Sorry to hear about your back, but there's sure as hell nothing wrong with your hands!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to do this Tony, I really enjoy your models, and this gives us all a chance to see them again! One small silver lining to Photobuckets ransom attack....

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Did this aircraft attack a hospital ship?

As the caption says 'sighted', I'd hope they'd just photographed it... 

Keith

• Like 1