Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon

IanC

Here's my latest build from Airfix's new range. I wanted to do a late war rocket-equipped Typhoon from the period after January 1945 when invasion stripes and tail bands were painted out, spinners painted black and the hi-viz upper wing roundels were applied. I chose an aircraft from 164 Squadron, 123 Wing, based at B-77 Gilze-Rijen in Holland. I kept weathering to an absolute minimum, but this aircraft had been in service since August 1944 and would presumably have got quite grubby over the winter period, so I may add a bit more at a later date.

The kit went together very well and I think it's one of Airfix's easier to construct new tool kits. I used Tamiya and Humbrol paints with a light oil wash, chipping with a pencil and pastels for the exhaust stains. 

IMG_1253_zpsqml170n3.jpg

IMG_1251_zpskzrf2s4l.jpg

IMG_1256_zpstpsfqxzy.jpg

IMG_1257_zpspnv09wtt.jpg

IMG_1259_zpscny5h7yg.jpg

IMG_1263_zpsppxvrylq.jpg

IMG_1262_zpsovmolemy.jpg

• Like 39

57 minutes ago, Nomis61 said:

Ian, it looks great.  Encourages me to look for one to add to me to do stash.

Simon

Thanks. You won't regret it. It's a cracking little kit - up there with the Defiant, in my opinion.

Ian

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Great looking Typhoon there Ian, love the camo`

Cheers Russ. The green is brush painted. I find it less fraught than masking! 

I prefer more chipping personally 😉

Joking, looks great. Nice and restrained weathering and the painted camo is beautifully done. Did you use Tamiya when brushing the green? If so, how might I ask? No matter what I do when trying to brush with them they dry too quickly, leaving horrible marks. I've tried Tamiya thinners and W&N retarder.

Decal leading edge strips?

James.

2 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

I prefer more chipping personally 😉

Joking, looks great. Nice and restrained weathering and the painted camo is beautifully done. Did you use Tamiya when brushing the green? If so, how might I ask? No matter what I do when trying to brush with them they dry too quickly, leaving horrible marks. I've tried Tamiya thinners and W&N retarder.

Decal leading edge strips?

James.

Haha! Thanks James. No, I used Humbrol 116 for the green. Two or three well thinned coats over the Tamiya grey. I've tried and failed to brush Tamiya paints, so I only use them in the airbrush. 

The leading edge strips were masked and painted. 

Nice attention to details with the overpainted tailband and whatnot!

My guess is that a Tiffy from march-45 and onwards would be quite dirty, with all the thawing out on the ground and so on. There should be a lot of mud splashing around, shouldn't it?

However, for a more cold winterlook it's perfect!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rod mcq said:

One detail I particularly like is the overpainted sky fuselage band. How did you do that?

Rod - I masked the fuselage where the band would be and just filled in the colours, making sure they were a different shade to indicate fresh or 'not quite the right shade' paint, and followed the camo lines. Photos show this job was done with varying degrees of neatness.  

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Ian