P-51B, D and H, 1/72: the D is done.

Bedders

Lovely job on the 'H'! I have several RS kits, and found them to be nicely-done limited-run kits. Good to see that's the case with this kit. I don't have this kit, but I do have the Airfix 'D' so I shall be interested to see how that comes out. I haven't built mine, but it looks to be a very nice kit so I don't expect any major difficulties when I get around to building it. Now I just have to come up with a paint scheme for it (the USAF NMF just doesn't do it for me, although you certainly did an excellent job with that scheme on your 'H').

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Minor correction.
  • Like 1

On 08/12/2016 at 8:04 PM, Learstang said:

Lovely job on the 'H'! I have several RS kits, and found them to be nicely-done limited-run kits. Good to see that's the case with this kit. I don't have this kit, but I do have the Airfix 'D' so I shall be interested to see how that comes out. I haven't built mine, but it looks to be a very nice kit so I don't expect any major difficulties when I get around to building it. Now I just have to come up with a paint scheme for it (the USAF NMF just doesn't do it for me, although you certainly did an excellent job with that scheme on your 'H').

Regards,

Jason

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The 'H' turned out terrific Justin, wonderful gallery pics. The 'D' looks like it's coming along great too.

Thanks guys. I like the shape of the H, and I'm quite pleased with it - so much so that I put some better-lit photos on the main RFI section too. Hopefully I'll get the D finished soon and then the B, and then I'll have a nice little parade of Mustangs.

Justin

• Like 2

Could it be that I'm about to finish the D as well? I've made some decent progress over the weekend with the decalling. I decided to paint the fueselage stripes rather than use the Eurodecals as I feared they were neither the right shape nor length. As I'm separated from my airbrush for much if the time and in the interests of speed, I chose to brush-paint them, as well as the white spinner and red nose-band and rudder. Humbrol enamels were used, taking a leaf out of Tony O'T's book and using a succession of nice thin coats. Insodoing I learned not to bother with the low-odour white spirit as thinner, as it takes an age to dry. The good old smelly stuff is best.

The decals were otherwise a mix of Eurodecals, 25-year-old(!) Microscale for the stars & bars and some of the stencils, and the Airfix kit stencils for the rest. All went on well in their own way.  So here's where I've got to:

IMG_2378_zpsu334mtgm.jpg

Justin

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer to the end on the D. Today I did a pin wash on the panel lines and am reasonably happy overall. It's been a slightly rushed job but it's coming together.

IMG_2432_zpsi0rd0m6h.jpg

IMG_2433_zpsrajj0wwz.jpg

Over the last few days I found an interesting pic on Littlefriends which shows the subject of my build in a slightly earlier guise with the 20th FG:

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=20&Style=item&origStyle=list&Item=95&Temp=1944.

Still, they spruced it up nicely for occupation duty with the 355th:

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=355&Style=item&origStyle=list&Item=0&Temp=235&searchString=

Hope to get it finished tomorrow.

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 4

Oops.

IMG_2444_zpsugs3xwjd.jpg

Slipped out of my fingers whilst doing some final weathering. Although I saved it from impact with the floor, my clothing caught the tailplane and I heard a crack. Any tips for an invisible repair? I've already stuck it back on but the break does not follow the join perfectly, so there will be some sanding and repainting required. Paint is Alclad. Thought I'd get it finished today too...

Justin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The D is finished. Poor organisation on my part meant that I misread the deadline (thought it was the 18th) so that was a pity. But I'm pleased it's done. Hope you like it. 

IMG_2479_zpscn14zfxe.jpg

IMG_2478_zpsw8yi2yzc.jpg

Here's the original:

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=355&Style=item&origStyle=list&Item=0&Temp=236

And here are my two Mustangs together: D on the left, H on the right. The B will have to wait:

IMG_2481_zpsezsuhbob.jpg

A fun Group Build, with lots of colour scheme variety, and well done to all those who got their models done on time.

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 3