Yakovlev Yak-1 early series (1/48 ModelSvit)

BOBO

Most of my model kit I have built only with a foto copy of this type. Some times ago I get the kit from MODELSVIT in scale 1:48, a Yak-1 early series. I was happy by first look and also to I have had a opinion that will be not a problem to find some interesting foto copies.

This is the first Yak-1 in scale 1/48 I have now in my collection, only for 21€uro incl. post fee.

ms4803.jpg

e44be6de0b4017eb583006e5e0b7731c04c76c10

My book collection about Yak-aircraft fighters I hoped is very good. I have collected many articles from my time in exGDR . Also to I have the books "Soviet Air Force Figthing Colors" and the newest book "Yakovlev Figthers of WWII". AND ... I have from AJpress the book titel "Jak-1/3" (#13) and some other. But I was astonished me while I not found fotos from early seres. Wow - and many mistakes in text und picture captions I found in english, but also too in russian sources! What the matter now?
The best sources of scale drawing I found only in AJpress publication und good text and only little pictures in "Jakovlev Fighters".

Then understand the problem. The first series was built only with around 64 aircrafts. Some aircraft was destroyed by test flights. Some other was tested in some russian squadrons and this was top secret. Therefore you cannot find many fotos from early series from this time. The other is that some foto shows only temporaly markings, no Numbers or insteresting slogans.

The next is, die production was in beginnig. Some production places has had problems with canon armaments and material, also new factory works must be retrain.

Most of fotos you can find in WWW are not early series!

The next: this model kit has a uncomplete description. Some kit parts are only false without additional description!

Please let me little put in order:

The box art shows a I-26 of the 1th and 2th series from factory n° 301. This model you can built, but without additional descritption it is a problem:

This prototype has a super aircharger under the engine area between remaining landing gear cover and not in the wing root, it has no landing spotlight on the left wing nose and also it has only small cannon outlet.

Yak_I_26_0105_Zawod_301.jpg

Yak_I_26_0105_Plan.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 2

But if you want not built a prototype then you must very good shows the next scale drawing (sources: AJPress #13 JAk1/3) Sorry my descriptions on the drawing was only in German :o

Click with mouse wheel only! :lol:The aircraft of an early series has a few other fuselage details!!

Yak_1_Uebersicht.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 1

I have found on a russian website a full colored picture - this is my favorite for a early serie.

The red "23" is in nice camouflage, can built with only two three conversions (see top the drawing: antenna wire, mofified landing gear covers and rockets under both wings)

Interesting are the unpainted metal parts on the tail and wing roots :rolleyes:

zhidovacr.jpg

K48105_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1463417378

The MONTEX camouflage is not ready to use, but all other ist good for my model!

Edited by BOBO

O.k. - I began to built my model kit two days ago after my recherche.
This is also a fine thing to get some surprizes. All parts you must cut only with a mini saw. Otherwise you can demage many plastic parts.

And - please do use many many times for your built. Behind every corner wait a surprize of you:

Yak_01.jpg

Yak_01a.jpg

First surprize :o blue area!

Yak_02.jpg

I must cut the red parts. Only then fuselage can be customized with the wing and interiors.

Edited by BOBO

Just found this topic -

I am not a 1/48 scale modeler, so do not know much about the modelsvit kit, but as you are dealing with the early series Yak-1s, I would suggest to keep in mind that there were two fairly distinct types of early yaks (outside of preproduction samples). Those depended from the factory the airframe was produced at. The aircraft of Plant 301 were noticeably different from those of Plant 292.And then a lot of modifications were introduced at Plant 292 in the course of production, which also shown it the difference between series -  for example the landing light appeared from series 29 only, and the new type of the canopy was introduced at series 49. So many of the "mistakes" in the kits might be attributed to those differences. I presume the best way forward is to check the photo references of the particular aircraft you plan to build.

The "color" photo above in the thread - is actually a recently painted photo of Lieutenant Zhidov's machine taken in the vicinity of the Ladoga Lake in 1942... and originally it is black and white, of course.

Did not try to confuse - just participating:angrysoapbox.sml:

• Like 1

A very interesting thread - thank you, BOBO and BallsBuster! One of the problems some of us  have is that most of the reference material on Russian aircraft has not been translated into English, so details like those described in this thread are very helpful.

John

Thank you, John.

Another thought, perhaps a guess, based on the picture of the box art. The smaller size of gun ports and smaller vents behind the exhaust stacks suggest that the kit represents the aircraft built at Plant 301. There were about 190 of those built mostly in the first half of 1941... it will be a challenge to find an interesting painting scheme for this one....

@BallBuster: SIDE LOADING ERROR from URL :unsure:

Well - the original picture is B/W.

Edited by BOBO

Hi Bobo!

Very nice Yak! The 23 is a challange. I am a bit familiar with the Modelsvit kits. Currently i am building the Modelsvit Yak1b. The cockpit is made for the early Yaks, so you are good on that one. Be careful with the bucketseat. Its a bit to wilde (this can be a problem i created myself due my AMS on my Yak, but i think its to big anyway). I replaced mine with a spare seat of the Eduard Yak-3 (only the lower part!)

The camouflage is a standaard patern of AMT 4 green (whole plane) and AMT 2 black (patches with some shine throu). Belly should be AII light blue (early soviet WWII color, before 1941). There were no bare metal parts. These parts are painted with MK-7 white. The bare metal parts are a myth, but thats another story. Cockpit should be painted in aluminium color (this was choosen of because it had the best UV protecion) or A-14 steel grey (not a metallic paint, just a grey color) and the instrument panel semi gloss black.

HTH

Remco 

Yak_03a.jpg

modified landing gear cover

Yak_03b.jpg

one of many problem areas

Yak_03c.jpg

complete test before interior coloring

Yak_03d.jpg

Yak_03e.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Bobo, 

The seam on the engine deck is the worst. I advise you to line it up as good as possible, then put some tape in line both sides of the seam. Then fill the seam with putty and sand it carefully.

Sand the control surfaces very thin. These are to thick.

HTH

Remco 

Yak_04_1.jpg

Yak_04.jpg

Fuselage and wing are good go together now. :jump_fire:

Yak_04a.jpg

Yak_04b.jpg

Yak_04c.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 3

Fuselage and wing has married - but only with violence and power :huh:

Same places must rework with putty - short-run kit remains short-run-kit, be or not to be -  with serenity and serenity or not - free to Shaekespeare -!!

Yak_05a.jpg

Yak_05b.jpg

Yak_05c.jpg

Yak_05d.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 3

Putty areas are sanded, some cockpit parts are appended. Now the next deatils are prepared.

Yak_06a.jpg

Yak_06b.jpg

It can be I must correct again the below wire loop  to upper ??

Yak_06c.jpg

Yak_06d.jpg

Yak_06e.jpg

Yak_06f.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 4

Tail and the first undersite groundcolor is ready.

Yak_1_07a.jpg

The modl must wait of drying color over night!

Yak_1_07c.jpg

• Like 1

I think wing spotlight is too big. So I have clear this position with putty, open a hool for clear inject molding part and put it in this position. Then I sanding and polished this part

Yak_1_08a.jpg

Yak_1_08b.jpg

• Like 3

And now - i have no decals fpr my red "23" version. I will use the airbrush mask from MONTEX. For me no Problem, I used these in last time often.

First step - all position for red marking/ stars wil be in underground white. The numbers and some stars will be with white outline. Put the parts on right position and than you can make red color with freehand airbrush

Yak_1_08c.jpg

Yak_1_08d.jpg

Yak_1_08e.jpg

Yak_1_08f.jpg

Yak_1_08g.jpg

Yak_1_08h.jpg

Yak_1_08k.jpg

Yak_1_08j.jpg

Now I must wait to color is dry

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 2

Standard colour are ready on this model (Russia topsite green (AGAMA) and AII-Black Green (MODELMASTER)).
Now I must wait for a new undersite color airbrush. These model phase was easy but strong. Airbrush mask are very fine technique for kits in scale 48 or greater ....

Yak_1_09a.jpg

Yak_1_09b.jpg

And now waiting many little model details of me :o ...

• Like 4

Hi Bobo, 

The way you created the fuselage numbers, is exelent! i want to build this aircraft to. i don't have the decals, but Foxbot made a sheet. but i don't want to pay 17,-€ for one set of digits.

The colors are odd to me. AMT-4 and AMT-6 are difficult colors. Especially compared with the Akan brand. AMT-4 is a mid color green, very close to 4bo green. I have tried to made a comparrison with several colors, and no one matches. Your green looks to brown (olive drab brown glow), and the black green looks to "shiny green glow". it was better to paint it just black and sprayed it very thin, so you could see the base color green, just like they did in real live. You still have to put the winter camouflage on it, so will see how it goes. Never the less, great job! 

Regards, 

Remco 

Yak-1 is a pre-war model and also too the colours from pre war. (See kit artwork -very good interpretation)

I used AII Black (it is in normal a "back-green") and AII Green (normal it is "olive-green") and AII-Blue (undersite Blue) AII Blue will be the last color for my Modell before all places over painted with white lime color.

In the moment all green colors are with 50% clear lacquer parts. Additionally a flash when I make a foto ist is not realistic.

The next ist when I over painted my model with white lime color you cannot declare it is black-green or oliv-green :o

For cockpit canopies I used MONTEX airbrush mask. But these only for ACCURATE-kit. So I have modified the mask - it is no great problem.

Yak_1_10a.jpg

Yak_1_10b.jpg

Yak_1_10.jpg

Yak_1_10c.jpg

Edited by BOBO
  • Like 2

Well - now it is not easy with my computer DENGLISH :o

After this first airbrsuh with REVELL#5 underground seems to be through. That was my intention. I overpainted in quast art with a longhaired brush the rear fuselage without star and number area. And today I overpainted all lime white area again with classic white (MODEL MASTER)

I think the result is in the near of my foto copy :clap2:

yak_1_11_0.jpg

yak_1_11_1.jpg

Airbrush overpaiting with classic white

Yak_1_11a.jpg

Yak_1_11b.jpg

• Like 2