The Vampire that just would not die - 1/72 scale Xtrakit DH Vampire FB5

This was meant to be a quick mojo boosting build back in February, however fate intervened. I had got to this point:

AEAC596F-C291-44BC-A254-FD1DF5B22207_zps

Then came back to the hobby desk a few (sunny) days later to this:

669E2EA3-8585-48B3-AC20-7C98804680C6_zps

Probably caused by too close a proximity to a magnifying lens.

Cue witticisms about vampires not be able to survive direct sunshine.......

Eventually I plucked up the courage to fill, sand, fill, sand, fill...... followed by some rescribing. My original intent had to be to complete her has a silver aircraft,  instead I went with the other box option of a camouflaged machine of 605 (County of Warwick) Squadron, RAF Gibraltar on exercise in 1955-56. Brushpainted  Tamiya acrylics as always, the full sad tale can be found here. Thanks for looking.

3F3A494C-A71C-414C-A284-5AB80592EC24_zps

115135F5-F145-48A7-8492-7A2841946A78_zps

554F0324-94E2-48D9-8B78-4334E55AF0A9_zps

15E57CF1-FBDA-4468-852D-24525FEC4388_zps

82B0E059-BFCC-47F6-B565-1274B81E3E34_zps

• Like 46

Great job!

Regards

J-W

P.S.

Your accident with lenses should be the precaution for all of us- the losses could be much inreversible, if the sunlight will focus on a more flamable stuff (a bottle of enamel thinner?) ...

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

A wonderful repair job. The airframe fitters at the Maintenance Unit had their work cut out on that one. The Vampire must be a tough wee beastie but the finished product, like Baby Bears porridge was "just right". A nice paint job too and a cautionary tale which I took on board a while ago as I cover my modelling table with old towels  when the Sun is out. It doesn't happen much in the Frozen North ha ha. Keep up the excellent work and the airframe repairs. Cheers mate.

albamac (frustrated Norseman):viking::worthy:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SimonL said:

Probably caused by too close a proximity to a magnifying lens.

Cue witticisms about vampires not be able to survive direct sunshine.......

Ha! I actually had to explain my loud blurted out laughter to the rest of the room just now.

Nice save though! I would have binned it but you've managed to get a very proper end-result, good work!

• Like 1

Well done for the rescue repair to the wing....a really nice job. There's just something about the early jets that i find fascinating; Vampires and Venoms were great aircraft. 

• Like 1

'Vampire Recovers from Laser Surgery' 

I'm very glad that it did too! Your perseverance has created a right little beauty. I've a Heller one with a Flightpath set tucked away and the quality of your work here has only increased my anticipation levels.

Bravo sir, a splendid finish!

Tony

• Like 1

Great save and from the end result you would never know it had happened. I applaud your determination and grit.

Lucky it was "only" a model that took it but that could have been so much worse - sobering!

Nice one.

ATB
Rick

• Like 1