'Enemy at the gate' or 'For you little piggy, the war is over'

....EDIT. Since posting this RFI, this vignette was included in the GB Gallery and vote, thanks to Enzo Matrix and PlaStix.

Here's a link to the WIP, click on 'Enemy at the gate'

So for the past 2 months I've been making a vignette for a GB. I left it late. So late that I've been cramming in painting all day today. I had hoped to get it finished by the deadline, but with 20 mins to go I was still working on the last figure, adding shadows and highlights... and I knew I wouldn't have time to equip him or apply decals to his helmet. With 5 mins to go, I had him finished to the very bare minimum and had to call it a day and get the photos into the gallery ASAP. i grabbed my camera. What I didn't know was that my wife had borrowed it earlier today and had taken 450 photos of trees without telling me, so  when I went to take pics  I found the memory card full. I couldn't delete all the photos (she'd kill me) so I had to upload them to my laptop... the whole lot... cos there's no way of de-selecting them en-masse. And it took so long to upload them all that the deadline passed. To say that I was 'slightly miffed' is very inaccurate.

Anyway, here it is, with the figure at the gate painted in huge rush and missing all his equipment....I doubt I'll finish it off to a decent standard, I kinda dislike the thing intensely at the moment. I suspect that the vignette will be dismantled and used to display a different vehicle.

969048DSC06683.jpg

610728DSC06685.jpg

845465DSC06684.jpg

387351DSC06686.jpg

805882DSC06687.jpg

598006DSC06689.jpg

755814DSC06690.jpg

659260DSC06691.jpg

885408DSC06692.jpg

210933DSC06693.jpg

562972DSC06694.jpg

576501DSC06695.jpg

281007DSC06697.jpg

854674DSC06698.jpg

911697DSC06699.jpg

For WIP, here's the link:

TFL

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 11

You done good mate. Shame it didn't make the deadline, but don't give up on it.

You either need another camera in the house, another memory card, or better ingest software. I recommend PhotoMechanic (and SanDisk memory.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job Badder, I'm very envious of your tree building.

Thanks Ozzy. Kicking myself for missing the GB deadline by minutes! And now of course I have a vignette with a 'rushed' figure standing at the gate with no equipment or weaponry. Maybe he's thinking about dinner and contemplating strangling the pig? Probably though, the passenger might use the MG34. If you've stolen a motorcycle combo from the SS, you might not care how full of lead your pork is.

Glad you like the tree. The job was made a lot easier by using Sea Foam. It's definitely the thing to use to bash out a tree in quick time. However, it's still not completely ideal. It is really fragile and lashings of acrylic varnish are needed to give it at least some small bit of protection from clumsy elbows, cats and vicious drafts.

The 'bushes' though, can be bent squashed and prodded with no fear of damage and, with no time constraints I think a tree made with my fishing line method would actually be better. I do like a good tree and I'm determined to master making them.

Thanks again Ozzy,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I understand the way you feel, but I wouldn't dismantle this. It's your vignette, of course, but the groundwork is excellent and the figures are great too (very well sculpted, also). To me, it's like you made it! :clap::clap::clap: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
typos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, giemme said:

I understand the way you feel, but I wouldn't dismantle this. It's your vignette, of course, but the groundwork is excellent and the figured are great too (very well sculptrled, also). To me, it's like you made it! :clap::clap::clap: 

Ciao

Thanks for your comments Giemme, and thanks for your support during this build.

It would have been nice to see how well it would have been received in the GB vote! But oh well. Now I've calmed down and had a think, I've decided to keep the vignette and continue to improve it. At some point the pig will be removed and the correct figures will be found for the Motorcycle combo. I am thinking maybe add a Kettenrad on the opposite side of the gate and an argument about who should reverse up?:D

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent vignette.:worthy:

Thanks Steve. I am humbled by all the praise I'm receiving, especially from modellers I consider more skilled than me.

Rearguards,

Badder

10 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Nice job like the whole set up of this the rust effect on the barrel and steel looks spot on 

:goodjob:

Beefy

Thanks Beefy, I do like a good lump of rust!

Rearguards,

Badder

Simple yet clever concept! I love the details you've added to the vignette, the undergrowth, the discarded tin roof and drums, the tree and ofcourse the excellent weathered model and figure painting!

It's a shame you missed the deadline with those extreme coincidences, but this is a vignette I'd be really proud of!

Cheers,

Alex.

P.S. A few photos shot outside in the sunlight (if available this time of year) would be appreciated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alxzinbox said:

Simple yet clever concept! I love the details you've added to the vignette, the undergrowth, the discarded tin roof and drums, the tree and ofcourse the excellent weathered model and figure painting!

It's a shame you missed the deadline with those extreme coincidences, but this is a vignette I'd be really proud of!

Cheers,

Alex.

P.S. A few photos shot outside in the sunlight (if available this time of year) would be appreciated!

Thanks Alex,

As it transpires the moderators Enzo Matrix and PlaStix decided that as I only missed the deadline by minutes, my vignette could be included and very kindly reopened the gallery so I could enter.  I took and posted the above pics shortly after the deadline, which was midnight sunday, so I'm afraid there was no sun available. And I haven't taken pics since. But yes, natural light is better.

Thanks again for liking all the details and I'm sure you'll be delighted and wowed by the other vignettes now available to view and cast your vote on in the 'Vignette GB'.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 2

Hi Badder. This really is a superb vignette and I am really pleased we were able to get into the Vignette GB Gallery. Wonderful work! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. This really is a superb vignette and I am really pleased we were able to get into the Vignette GB Gallery. Wonderful work! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks again Stix... it's not as good as yours but I'll get there one day!

Rearguards,

Badder

On 03/11/2016 at 8:46 PM, Badder said:

As it transpires the moderators Enzo Matrix and PlaStix decided that as I only missed the deadline by minutes, my vignette could be included and very kindly reopened the gallery so I could enter.

Well done those men!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanfrandragon said:

I like it!  Your figure painting has come on leaps and bounds!  The rusty barrel, tree, undergrowth and motorbike are all high quality work.

Thanks Sanfran,

I'm glad to say that my figures have improved since my Villers Bocage diorama, but not by that much. More of a hop maybe? I haven't quite worked out which method of painting suits me... whether to construct fully and then paint, or paint parts first and then construct and tidy up... or construct partially, paint and then add pre-painted bits... it's so confusing!

Rearguards,

Badder