1/72 - Avro 685 York by Mach 2 - released - new boxing

Homebee

Dixit a post in French forum Master194, after last year Argosy (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234990603-172-aw-argosy-mach-2/) Mach 2 is to release at Telford SMW 2016 a 1/72nd Avro 685 York kit - ref. GP079, GP080, GP081 & GP082

No more details known for the moment.

See also Mikromir same project: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011331-avro-york-172/

Sources:

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95530

https://www.facebook.com/1098581226825624/photos/pcb.1524328597584216/1524325614251181/?type=3&theater

201129054913707696.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

If I can find a nice scheme, I'll get one.... but off the top of my head, nothing takes my fancy. Was there any test bed Yorks? I know there was one converted to radials... so maybe I could build that..?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Not having heard of Mach2 am I to take it they dont produce clean cut moulds or lack detail ??

They're not easy, but pleasing to complete due to the subjects they offer. My stalled Savage has been a nightmare to build, both fuselage half's were different.. detail is sparse, moulding is rough but cleans up OK. My Argosy is a different story, quite nice... needs a good clean up, but no where near as bad as the Savage. Both will be finished, but I have decided to do the Argosy first, then go back to the Savage.

21792734919_f86621e1b0_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

Not having heard of Mach2 am I to take it they dont produce clean cut moulds or lack detail ??

Let's just say that if you're not a founding member of the Spank Me With  A Shovel Brigade, there are chances you'll be slightly disappointed with the kit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I want to see before I buy as I already have a Contrail York in the stash (the later complete kit) and the CMR conversion.

I'd also include the Final Touch one, but with a solid resin fuselage, it's not a kit!  More a blunt object to be used to repeatedly beat the master maker over the head with!

• Like 3

An Avro York seems a strange subject for a 'complete' kit by MACH2............most modellers will surely be tempted to use better wings, engines, tails and undercarriage from one of the Lancaster kits available ?

On 31/10/2016 at 14:06, Sebastien said:

Let's just say that if you're not a founding member of the Spank Me With  A Shovel Brigade, there are chances you'll be slightly disappointed with the kit.

When is a square fuselage not a square fuselage ?   When it travels at twice the speed of sound.............

• Like 1

I've said it before - but it bears repeating.....

You can't just stick a set of Lancaster wings onto a York fuselage and call it done.

The York and Lancaster have the same wingspan - despite the York's boxy, wider fuselage.

So you have to remove a section from each Lancaster wing root - the equivalent of half the difference in width between the Lancaster and York fuselage.

For example (and don't use these numbers!) - if the York fuselage is 10mm wider than the Lancaster fuselager, then remove 5mm from each Lancaster wing root.

Seeeeemples.

Ken

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95530

First details: 

- ref.GP079 - "Maritime Livery" - boxing with two French schemes: "Ascalon" from General de Gaulle and another one from French Aéronavale;

- ref.GP080 - "Berlin Airlift - boxing with two RAF schemes "Berlin Airlift".

Still no pics.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Hmmmm civil schemes, two from BOAC, Dan Air, Skyways or something more exotic? RAF schemes probably one silver and one in camo? Looks like my wallet will be taking another big hit!

Edited by wamwig

It's nice but the Lancaster parts are clearly based on the 1979 Airfix Lancaster but rescribed and cleaned up a tad.  I'm giving a it a miss, largely due to having the later and better Contrail* one in the stash, plus the superlative CMR conversion fuselage.

My advice is to wait for the Mikro Mir kit and then decide.

*Contrail did two - a very rough fuselage conversion and a later complete kit, which used a Matchbox Lanc as a pattern for the wings, etc.  Nice kit, came with decals and injection parts.