Hasegawa 1/200 MD-11 Korean Air ,21 years in the making

This particular Hasegawa kit was bought by me as a youngster back in 1995 when I started on building it right away.

During these days I still handpainted my models.Sometimes more,sometimes less successful.

This kit belonged to the latter,so I stopped working on it and put it back to its box where it stayed ever since.

As I really like the MD-11 and these Hasegawa kits became rarer with time,I never managed to bin it.I kept looking on the pre-painted parts and thought of a way to clean them a re-start the whole build.

So,earlier this year I took it out of the shelf of doom and gave it a go.

First most of the paint was carefully sanded away with a 2000grid sand paper,then all parts where washed with soap and cleaned as good as possible with a sponge.

Before reassembly and the first coat of primer was applied,I rescribed the panellines and flaps on the fuselage and wings.

When everything looked as desired,the new paint was put on by using Tamyia rattlecans.(Light blue and pure white).Wings were repainted with Revell enamels using my airbrush.

The kits decals had yellowed over time,so I decided to buy a new set from draw decal.This also provided all the windows which were an improvement over the kits decals.

After everything was put back together and all decals were on,two coats of Testors metallic sealer where sprayed on to give it its final finish.

21 years after its initial start,the MD-11 is finally done and improved.

Korean Air's MD-11s didn't last long in passenger service.After roughly 4 years,all 5 aircraft where withdrawn from regular service and converted to freighters.

Cheers,

20161030_163926_zpsaxdnpmfp.jpg

20161030_163938_zps0whfrmtt.jpg

20161030_163952_zps0ypsx8sz.jpg

20161030_164005_zpsmyy4fyya.jpg

20161030_164016_zpsens6rzwl.jpg

Edited by Alex1978
typing error
  • Like 17

Hi Alex: 

Congratulations!!!!

Wonderful build for a wonderful kit!!! Seem that the time she was "stored" made for her a nice chance to age well and be built in that wonderful way.

I have read something about the DC 10 variants from this nice manufacturer and was temting to buy some, and looking your nice build I am thinking many more in do that. I am looking mainly for the 1/200 KC 10 variant as have bought the 1/200 Tristar to have both tankers in the same scale, missing the Boeing 707/Vc 137 and KC135 variants in this scale as Hasegawa didn't do this kit in that scale- If I can't find the KC will look at the reviews to be sure the same fuselage is used in that and which kit (Maybe a DC-10-30 I think) be used as base airframe to make  mine.

Thank you very much for sharing and bring my enthusiasm back for those nice kits!!!

Cheesr,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Alex: 

Congratulations!!!!

Wonderful build for a wonderful kit!!! Seem that the time she was "stored" made for her a nice chance to age well and be built in that wonderful way.

I have read something about the DC 10 variants from this nice manufacturer and was temting to buy some, and looking your nice build I am thinking many more in do that. I am looking mainly for the 1/200 KC 10 variant as have bought the 1/200 Tristar to have both tankers in the same scale, missing the Boeing 707/Vc 137 and KC135 variants in this scale as Hasegawa didn't do this kit in that scale- If I can't find the KC will look at the reviews to be sure the same fuselage is used in that and which kit (Maybe a DC-10-30 I think) be used as base airframe to make  mine.

Thank you very much for sharing and bring my enthusiasm back for those nice kits!!!

Cheesr,

Luis Alfonso

Thank you very much Luis.

The Hasegawa airliner range is/was a wonderful collection.

The DC-10 kit is very lovely and also that Hasegawa released different versions (DC-10-30 as well as DC-10-40) with the correct engines is superb.

The KC-10 kit from Hasegawa is very nice as well,I have one in my stash too.

They moulded a new fuselage that omits the cabin windows but has the cargo door on the left side as well as the converted underbelly for the tanker boom.The rest of the kits parts are straight from their DC-10-30 kit.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2016 at 0:07 PM, Alex1978 said:

Thank you very much Luis.

The Hasegawa airliner range is/was a wonderful collection.

The DC-10 kit is very lovely and also that Hasegawa released different versions (DC-10-30 as well as DC-10-40) with the correct engines is superb.

The KC-10 kit from Hasegawa is very nice as well,I have one in my stash too.

They moulded a new fuselage that omits the cabin windows but has the cargo door on the left side as well as the converted underbelly for the tanker boom.The rest of the kits parts are straight from their DC-10-30 kit.

Hi Alex:

Thank you very much for the explanation. I have since some months looking for one but if can't succeed, for sure will try the -30 and look for as many pics I can to make mine. 

Cheers!!!

Edited by Luis Alfonso

That is a really lovely renovation Alex, beautiful finish on her - really was a good thing you didn't bin the kit!!

I really must make the effort to finish the airfix Vulcan I started 32 years ago...!!

Stunning MD-11, probably my favourite wide body!

Keith

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That is a really lovely renovation Alex, beautiful finish on her - really was a good thing you didn't bin the kit!!

I really must make the effort to finish the airfix Vulcan I started 32 years ago...!!

Stunning MD-11, probably my favourite wide body!

Keith

Thank you Keith.

I would take the effort and finish the Vulcan.

I enjoyed my renovation of the MD-11and it was also interesting to see how much progress in modelling i made since back then...

Yes,the MD-11 is an awesome aircraft.I enjoyed my flights on her every time.Too sad shes no longer in passenger service.I`d choose her anytime over those new Airbuses....

I don't know if I'm the only one, but the pictures won't load... I'm quite disappointed at the moment because I was so excited to see two more of you great builds... Pictures on most other threads are loading normally. Any help in seeing them please?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DrewP said:

I don't know if I'm the only one, but the pictures won't load... I'm quite disappointed at the moment because I was so excited to see two more of you great builds... Pictures on most other threads are loading normally. Any help in seeing them please?

No Drew, not only you, look like someone have removed the pics or the place where Alex stored them have removed them.

1 hour ago, Luis Alfonso said:

No Drew, not only you, look like someone have removed the pics or the place where Alex stored them have removed them.

good and bad news I guess :/ Thanks for responding 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrewP said:

good and bad news I guess :/ Thanks for responding 

I uploaded my pics via Photbucket.I had the same problem as no pic showed also in other threads.I checked on the Photobucket website and it was stated as "Down for maintenance".I think they are back now as I can see pics via my mobile phone.

Alex

• Like 1

I see them now, my mistake for freaking out a bit (I was disappointed because I couldn't see your beautiful build). Back on topic, looks beautiful as always, those Hasegawa kits are amazing works, aren't they? Looks great!

Drew

• Like 2