Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Procopius

Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Reaper said:

 

Cheers, they're in store only though... this might be an excuse to take a holiday to America.

 

Few other reasons to visit, TBQH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

 

Few other reasons to visit, TBQH.

 

True, would like to see some US airshows due to a criminal lack of USAF stuff at recent UK airshows I've been to, apart from some very friendly Hog drivers at RIAT 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reaper said:

 

True, would like to see some US airshows due to a criminal lack of USAF stuff at recent UK airshows I've been to, apart from some very friendly Hog drivers at RIAT 2015.

 

I highly recommend Oshkosh, one of the largest of its type. It's a few short hours drive from my house, and it's pretty amazing. I last went in 2015, and they had a B-52, F-35A, F-22, AB-8B Harrier II+, and about ten million P-51Ds. The F-22 flight display is probably the only time in my life I felt like yelling "AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" excitedly. Plus, our national character has imbued us with a very casual disregard for life and limb, so the flight displays are low, loud, and perilously close to the crowd.

 

I also went in 2014, and Mrs P got to sit in an MV-22 Osprey, helped by some buff overly-friendly young Marines who strapped her in a little too enthusiastically for my taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Procopius said:

 

I highly recommend Oshkosh, one of the largest of its type. It's a few short hours drive from my house, and it's pretty amazing. I last went in 2015, and they had a B-52, F-35A, F-22, AB-8B Harrier II+, and about ten million P-51Ds. The F-22 flight display is probably the only time in my life I felt like yelling "AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" excitedly. Plus, our national character has imbued us with a very casual disregard for life and limb, so the flight displays are low, loud, and perilously close to the crowd.

 

I also went in 2014, and Mrs P got to sit in an MV-22 Osprey, helped by some buff overly-friendly young Marines who strapped her in a little too enthusiastically for my taste.

 

I got to sit on an Apache at Fairford in the early 90s when I was little, think I ended up with a small crush on the female pilot. I also remember the first B2 flypast in 1996, early 90s were great, we had USAF stuff coming over, along with some Russian stuff and other eastern bloc countries bringing theres, now we tend to just get polish airforce Fulcrums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's any consolation, I've never seen a B-2, and the only time I've ever seen MiGs was at Oshkosh in 1992 or 1993, when they had a MiG-21 and a MiG-15, and it was a very big deal. I used to see a ton of P-3 Orions, valiantly keeping the Great Lakes free of piratical Canadian submarines, but then they closed the naval air station around 1995 and that was that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never seen a Mig 21 in the flesh, never seen a Phantom flying either unfortunately. I also need to visit the AAF Tank Museum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I've never seen a Mig 21 in the flesh, never seen a Phantom flying either unfortunately. I also need to visit the AAF Tank Museum.

 

I saw a USAF Phantom fly this year for the first (and last, sadly) time, just under the wire. Thanks to @Cookenbacher, I saw a MiG-21PFM up close on the ground -- here's the radarscope:

 

14359172_1271130376245105_28591291253244

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Niiiiiice, closest I've come is repeatedly compressor stalling one in DCS World.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reaper said:

I've never seen a Mig 21 in the flesh, never seen a Phantom flying either unfortunately. I also need to visit the AAF Tank Museum.

 

 

My childhood is full of memories of AL ANG RF-4s buzzing the school I went to. In the summers they would come by so low you could easily make out the colors on the helmet.  Some times they would circle back and wave.  

 

 

We also live really close to FT Rucker, so low flying Apache and Kiowa we pretty common too. A lot of times when we would go out camping at night the noise of a helicopter would go on for awhile. My neighbor, who was an UH -1 driver,  would tell us that they were out training and somewhere in the hills an attack helicopter was stalking us. I don't know if that was true or not, but it scared the crap out of a 9 year old me.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Procopius said:

If it's any consolation, I've never seen a B-2, and the only time I've ever seen MiGs was at Oshkosh in 1992 or 1993, when they had a MiG-21 and a MiG-15, and it was a very big deal. I used to see a ton of P-3 Orions, valiantly keeping the Great Lakes free of piratical Canadian submarines, but then they closed the naval air station around 1995 and that was that.

 

4 hours ago, Reaper said:

I've never seen a Mig 21 in the flesh, never seen a Phantom flying either unfortunately. I also need to visit the AAF Tank Museum.

I've seen a MiG 15 fly,a Mig 21 close and personal and I saw the last ever UK SR-71 display at Mildenhall back in '87.

Bovington tank museum is on the cards for next year(as is the FAA museum at Yeovilton)when we holiday in Dorset)

Edited by Miggers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1970s and 1980s were a great time for that sort of stuff. I was born too late. If Gorby had only held on a little more tenaciously, we might cheerfully be still facing off against the Commies (vice Russians) today! But no Eduard...unthinkable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

 

 

My childhood is full of memories of AL ANG RF-4s buzzing the school I went to. In the summers they would come by so low you could easily make out the colors on the helmet.  Some times they would circle back and wave.  

 

 

We also live really close to FT Rucker, so low flying Apache and Kiowa we pretty common too. A lot of times when we would go out camping at night the noise of a helicopter would go on for awhile. My neighbor, who was an UH -1 driver,  would tell us that they were out training and somewhere in the hills an attack helicopter was stalking us. I don't know if that was true or not, but it scared the crap out of a 9 year old me.

 

 

I've had a Vulcan fly above me whilst at Newbury Race course, that was amazing. I live right next to an Airfield that they flew Spitfires out of during WW2 so during the summer there's a lot of battle of britain memorial stuff over head, used to have harriers flying around aswell if there was an airshow on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reaper said:

 I also remember the first B2 flypast in 1996

 

First B2 flypast was Farnborough 1996.

 

The first time it appeared at RIAT was 1997.

 

I was there, watching it through the sensors on the Royal Artllery Alvis Stormer / Starstreak.

 

I took the Dominie to RIAT that year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ascoteer said:

 

First B2 flypast was Farnborough 1996.

 

The first time it appeared at RIAT was 1997.

 

I was there, watching it through the sensors on the Royal Artllery Alvis Stormer / Starstreak.

 

I took the Dominie to RIAT that year

 

I was at Farnborough in '96 for it. Was at RIAT last year and noticed a distinct herbal smell near the RNAF stuff. Hoping I can take my son to his first air show next year though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2016 at 8:02 PM, Procopius said:

I love Mrs P very very dearly, and there is no woman on earth more beautiful or more suited to me, but she's about as "romantic" (whatever that really means) as a napalm strike.

Buahahaha!

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning..."?:lol:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like victory.

 

 

Someday this war's gonna end...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ascoteer said:

Someday this war's gonna end...

 

My favourite line in the movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Procopius said:

The 1970s and 1980s were a great time for that sort of stuff. I was born too late. If Gorby had only held on a little more tenaciously, we might cheerfully be still facing off against the Commies (vice Russians) today! But no Eduard...unthinkable!

 

 

Hmmm.

 

I was rather glad actually to not have to worry about sitting in a hole in the ground awaiting the AS4 Kitchen first strike.

 

No more wearing NBC kit for hours upon end.

 

No more Checkpoint  Charlie.

 

No more IGB with its watchtowers, minefields, automatic guns, and War-Dog runs.

 

No more would I have to worry about hunting Soviet Subs (and the fact out weapon of choice was a big bucket of Instant Sunshine).

 

Now, all we had to worry about were the CFE (Central Forces Europe Treaty) JACIG (Joint Arms Control Implementation Group)  flights.

 

Actually I'm rather glad the Cold War ended when it did TYVM!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading Chieftains put me thoroughly off the fantasy of the Cold War ever going hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Speaking of airshow finds, last year at the air show in Tuscaloosa there was a freaking RAF Tornado.  It was grey so to my mind it was an F3, despite the facts. I went to talk to the crew, but they where surrounded by college girls and where not the slightest bit interested in me.

 

 

The last time we had a Tornado around here was when the ANG had an retirement show for our Phantoms. We had 2 Tornadoes, a Jaguar and a Mirage 2000 for that one. 

 

 

MiGs aren't rare here at all. We have some kind of company that restores or repairs them at a local airport.  I've seen them all except for a Foxbat and Foxhound. They even had a bunch of A-10s parked beside a Flogger a few years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2016 at 1:04 PM, Ascoteer said:

No more Checkpoint  Charlie.

Yes, that was an "interesting" place. Crossing into (or really back-into) soviet territory was odd. East Berlin was nicer than expected, even with the bullet holes still in the masonry.

At least one of the guards certainly did have a sense of humour...!

 

Thank you Mr Gorbachev for opening the door when you did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, one side done (or as done as it's gonna get):

 

31450397531_b15b44cae3_h.jpg20161211_000050 by Edward IX, on Flickr

 

And another begun: 

 

31566146515_5f95528f26_h.jpg20161211_000036 by Edward IX, on Flickr

 

Man, eff the Russians and their stupid stencils.

 

On 12/9/2016 at 3:04 PM, Ascoteer said:

Actually I'm rather glad the Cold War ended when it did TYVM!

 

Instead of a tense peace, endless limited wars where we bomb people in absurd countries that don't even have the decency to have air forces. Huge improvement.

 

On 12/9/2016 at 4:55 PM, Reaper said:

Reading Chieftains put me thoroughly off the fantasy of the Cold War ever going hot.

 

I read Chieftains last year, and it's so absurdly, stupidly nihilistic that it ends up being farcical. 

 

8 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

 Speaking of airshow finds, last year at the air show in Tuscaloosa there was a freaking RAF Tornado.  It was grey so to my mind it was an F3, despite the facts. I went to talk to the crew, but they where surrounded by college girls and where not the slightest bit interested in me.

 

 

The last time we had a Tornado around here was when the ANG had an retirement show for our Phantoms. We had 2 Tornadoes, a Jaguar and a Mirage 2000 for that one. 

 

 

MiGs aren't rare here at all. We have some kind of company that restores or repairs them at a local airport.  I've seen them all except for a Foxbat and Foxhound. They even had a bunch of A-10s parked beside a Flogger a few years ago. 

 

Well I'm just a tiny bit jealous. All I see is the occasional US Army Reserve Black Hawk (and a Chinook one time) that's lost and is navigating by the road network. Once I saw five at once doing it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it was fairford that I saw the b2 on show? Along with a lot over other American AC, got to walk round a osprey and yank globe master if memory serves, lots of fast jets all in a row and the osprey flight display was really rather impressive... 2013 I think?? 

 

She is looking very nice with all the little thransfers on, fine work

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very smart PC, looking good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once got to see a whole lot of Yank Aircraft parked up on deck when the USS Kittyhawk drove in to Sydney Harbour for a visit. Well over a decade ago. That's as close as I have ever got to seeing US aircraft in the fleh (as it were), and that was from the other side of Woolloomooloo Bay. And probably as close as I would ever want to be, unless I have a sudden rush of blood to the head (don't get me started about F-335s, though).

 

Flenser looking good despite your trials with the stencils - I certainly appreciate your hard work on it, even if you do not ;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...