Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

On 01/12/2016 at 11:25 PM, CedB said:

I feel I must defend our roads... and remind people of 'What the Romans Did for Us'.

Everyone knows that UK country roads veer around things that aren't there anymore and city roads can't be improved because of the things that are (still there).

If you want to see what we can do with a blank slate, just go to Milton Keynes. That'll teach you. So there.

or Redditch.

my wife and I were trying once to get to Banbury, and we got to Redittch and couldn't find our way out of their "road" network. After almost half an hour we saw a sign for Kidderminster and just blindly followed it home. The only times I've ever been there since (blessedly restricted to less than the number of fingers on one hand) I got someone from work to drive.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

Hmm. 998 Duc. Nuff said!

Oh! :wub:

My love affair with Ducatis started after being challenged to start an old 900 SS (in all its black and gold gorgeousness) by its owner. Thankfully being taught how to ride by my dad with his 500cc Royal Enfield and BSA so tickle the carb primers and swing the 'kick'starter to fire up this old hunk of jun..Jesus Christ what's that noise and what the hell is going on underneath me!?! Suddenly the LC350s, KR1-S and RGVs I was riding around on were shown up as the soul-less high-reving machines they truly were. This animal of a thing with life and character was a different beast to ride altogether :D 

While I've not sampled what delights the newer bikes offer the 888SP4 and early 916 hold many fond memories so I can only imagine what ethereal thrills can be found with them.

• Like 4

On 06/12/2016 at 08:04, Ascoteer said:

Ah yes motorbikes...  :whistle:

Yes, motorbikes...I had two CX-500s, the first of which I stripped down completely and rebuilt (with quite a few bits left over, but that was because I replaced a lot of stuff). I only ever got the first one up to a bit shy of 160 km/h/100 mph on the South Eastern Freeway outside of Adelaide, when the front end started to shimmy about, so I backed off and never repeated the stunt. I didn't have the knowledge to fix said front end, and thereafter just puttered to work and back on it.

As for the second one, that was in Sydney where the traffic is much heavier (and they 'drive' like cut snakes) and I still had the memory of CX no. 1 well in the forefront. I gave up riding altogether before I had the opportunity to be killed by a blind - I mean 'motorcycle unaware' - SUV 'driver', of which there were a distressingly large number near where I lived. And are probably even more by now - they can stick their top-heavy purposeless tanks up their collective jumpers, the whole boilin' of 'em.

My late nephew used to track-race Ducati 900s in Adelaide (his demise was from teenage-onset cancer, not motorcycle racing, I should hasten to add), always envied him that - the racing that is.

A. :sheep: <-- not a motorcycle

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CedB said:

NOW I remember where all my likes go...

Aha, yes indeed - this thread is a veritable 'likes'-sink -hoover -black hole. Like some others that I could mention. Aplogies for the serial posts, 'tis the tyranny o' time zones, d'you see.

A. :sheep: <-- not a time zone

12 minutes ago, AlexN said:

Yes, motorbikes...I had two CX-500... the second one, that was in Sydney where the traffic is much heavier (and they 'drive' like cut snakes) and I still had the memory of CX no. 1 well in the forefront. I gave up riding altogether before I had the opportunity to be killed by a blind - I mean 'motorcycle unaware' - SUV 'driver', of which there were a distressingly large number near where I lived. And are probably even more by now - they can stick their top-heavy purposeless tanks up their collective jumpers, the whole boilin' of 'em.

A good mate got taken out by some blinkered brain-dead moron in an SUV or 'Chelsea Tractor' as they are sometimes know in the UK a wee while ago who cut lanes to make a left turn off the dual carriageway without using mirrors or indicators. Thankfully no life-changing injuries but a wreaked bike and couple weeks in plaster. The most ironic part of the whole sorry story was the driver stating she'd chosen that tank of a motor for its protective features due to a lack of confidence while driving.

• Like 2

Where do I start? I'm glad that your mate was OK. SUV's (at least, those 'orrible Wange Wovers) called 'Toorak Tractors' over here in Melbourne and Adelaide: no idea what they're called in Sydney, never been bothered to find out.

Mirrors and indicators? Most people seem to be completely unaware of their existence, let alone use/be able to use them. I'd lock up most motorists over here and throw away the key. Or send them to Re-education Camps. Same applies to cigarette-butt tossers: fire-starters and attempted murderers the lot of them, too.

I always sit on the speed limit, but get frustrated be those who crawl in the not-left lanes, just as much as those who speed (and those who speed past then cut in without warning - then slow right down when in front). Just got to push their own unconcsious, selfish, self-centred panic-driven me-me-me agendas.

A racing track is a different bucket o' snakes, of course - but they're not on a (proper) racing track.

:rant::badmood: 

Sorry, rant over (for the moment).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Procopius said:

Mrs P (my last name starts with M, so I keep wanting to call her Mrs M -- confusing!) also hates flying (but will get in a plane if it's to see her mom), but has to wear skirts for work and so never wears anything remotely like a dress when in mufti.

You're having a giraffe:lol:,our last name starts with a P,so it's a good job I don't refer to mine as "Mrs P"

20 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

Hmm. 998 Duc and RS250 Prilla. Nuff said!

Mrs M can only have bikes with low seats(she's only 5'3"),so her present steed is an SR250 Yam,but she keeps ogling low seated Harleys......

19 hours ago, Col. said:

The most ironic part of the whole sorry story was the driver stating she'd chosen that tank of a motor for its protective features due to a lack of confidence while driving.

Yes,and it's usually some short-ar*e with her nose rubbing the steering wheel too.Sort-ar*ed women always seem to like a great big thing,

either people carrier or a massive 4X4(think Nissan X-Trail)or one of those stupid Juke toady looking  things.

• Like 4

I'm 5'71/2" (the 1/2" is important !) which makes me too small for a Priller RSV Mille. Hence me getting the Duc.

My GPZ1100 that I had back in the '80s was realy too tall for me - If I got a lean on stationary I couldn't hold it up. :o

19 hours ago, Miggers said:

Yes,and it's usually some short-ar*e with her nose rubbing the steering wheel too.Sort-ar*ed women always seem to like a great big thing,

either people carrier or a massive 4X4(think Nissan X-Trail)or one of those stupid Juke toady looking  things.

Yup, just like my b**** of a sister (who I havent talked to since 2009 and probably never will again).

• Like 2

Hey Ed, you seen this...

I'm gonna need a new PC.  I can't tell where it's set, or when. 

We're getting this and a new MechCommander,  I feel like it's 97 all over again. 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ascoteer said:

My GPZ1100 that I had back in the '80s was realy too tall for me - If I got a lean on stationary I couldn't hold it up. :o

:Tasty:  re the bike, pity about the height :(. Bloke I worked with had a GPZ 1100, used to spend my lunchtimes drooling at it.

The CX-500 was almost too tall for me, especially with the massive thick-walled steel tube frame member running up under the top of the fuel tank. Didn't make it at all top-heavy (add the transverse vector produced by the drive shaft and you had a recipe for disaster in wet weather on tram tracks - which is how CX-500 No. 1 got rebuilt for a second time - and resprayed). The CX-650 Sports fixed that with twin smaller-diameter tube frames under the tank. I could never get my greasy paws on one of those, though.

On 12/5/2016 at 4:57 PM, Col. said:

Oh! :wub:

My love affair with Ducatis started after being challenged to start an old 900 SS (in all its black and gold gorgeousness) by its owner. Thankfully being taught how to ride by my dad with his 500cc Royal Enfield and BSA so tickle the carb primers and swing the 'kick'starter to fire up this old hunk of jun..Jesus Christ what's that noise and what the hell is going on underneath me!?! Suddenly the LC350s, KR1-S and RGVs I was riding around on were shown up as the soul-less high-reving machines they truly were. This animal of a thing with life and character was a different beast to ride altogether :D 

While I've not sampled what delights the newer bikes offer the 888SP4 and early 916 hold many fond memories so I can only imagine what ethereal thrills can be found with them.

I have a '78 900 GTS that I've owned since '86 and brought to the US with me. My favourite sport is waiting until someone has their back to me, then starting it and watching to see how high they jump! :-)

I can (and have) "kicked it over" with my hand to start it.....

Ian

• Like 3

The Prilla is an RS250 not an RS250 'Race Replica'. Ie it's a racer with lights and a horn, as opposed to a stock road bike.

The engine was tuned by the guy as used to do Joey Dunlop's bikes...

It will (and has) spank any 600cc prod bike ever built, and it will see off a number of 750s.

In the twistys, few can stay with me. :D

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AlexN said:

Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes...

As a SAAI (Skill At Arms Instructor) my advice is: Always shoot at the centre of mass. It's easier to hit and contains all the 'squidgey bits'. Ergo it's the place the bullet will do the most damage...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Miggers said:

Mrs M can only have bikes with low seats(she's only 5'3"),so her present steed is an SR250 Yam,but she keeps ogling low seated Harleys......

I know a few ladies who have the Sportster Low - all of them absolutely love their bikes..

The Fencers looking braw!

Edited by Harley John
Mis-spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexN said:

Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes...

Very apropos, in Battletech (and by extension, Mechwarrior), even "long-range missiles" top out 630 meters maximum range. 

• Like 2

On ‎31‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 3:09 PM, Ascoteer said:

You can't use the one in sixty rule with metres or Kms.

One Nautical Mile (6000ft) subtends one minute of arc at the Earth's centre on any Great Circle so Nautical Miles (and therefore feet) make a lot of sense for pilot navigation.

Additionally, using 1 in 60, then for a 3 degree approach path (which is just about ideal) you lose 300ft per mile. In order to achieve this your rate of descent in ft per minute will be 5x your groundspeed in Kts. Eg 150Kt approach will require 750 ft per minute rate of descent.

Working out drift and groundspeed in the circuit/pattern is easy with 1 in 60 using reported wind and runway direction.

None of the above can be done easily (in one's head) using stupid French measurements!

Sorry, and is this easy? I was flying from beginning of my carrier in km/h speed and metres (altitude) and it was such easy. Now I am flying in kt/feet and I do not see it easier...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

I'm 5'71/2" (the 1/2" is important !) which makes me too small for a Priller RSV Mille. Hence me getting the Duc.

Yup, just like my b**** of a sister (who I havent talked to since 2009 and probably never will again).

Ooh,I've always had a thing for a GPZ11 Eddie Lawson Rep.I had a go on one once BITD and was most impressed with it.

Your not the only one Debs,I've not spoken to my big sister for a good 4 or 5 years now.

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I have a '78 900 GTS that I've owned since '86 and brought to the US with me. My favourite sport is waiting until someone has their back to me, then starting it and watching to see how high they jump! :-)

I can (and have) "kicked it over" with my hand to start it.....

Ian

That Ian,sounds just like my sort of silly game too;)

18 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

The Prilla is an RS250 not an RS250 'Race Replica'. Ie it's a racer with lights and a horn, as opposed to a stock road bike.

The engine was tuned by the guy as used to do Joey Dunlop's bikes...

It will (and has) spank any 600cc prod bike ever built, and it will see off a number of 750s.

In the twistys, few can stay with me. :D

Hoo-hoo,that is right up my street.One thing I've always loved(bike-wise)is a damned good pipey two-stroke with a light switch power band,

just is a "flies-on-teeth" moment when it gets on the pipe.:D

I had a Stan Stevens tuned DT175MX yonks ago,with a good pipe,spark arrestor,reeds and jetting,it was making a good 30-35bhp(plus lots of other mods to the cycle parts).

The front wheel was up and down like a yo-yo,I loved it.^_^

18 hours ago, Harley John said:

I know a few ladies who have the Sportster Low - all of them absolutely love their bikes..

The Fencers looking braw!

Funny you should say that John,I did mention the baby 883,but no,eyes are always cast at a 1200 Sporty.<_<

Come on Ed,where's this swankily decalled Fencer????,Mrs P has you procreating too much and you're fagged out I reckon:lol:

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

To avoid possible misunderstandings across the pond, "fagged out" means very tired. 

At least I assume that's what Miggers was implying... :wicked: 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, CedB said:

To avoid possible misunderstandings across the pond, "fagged out" means very tired. 

At least I assume that's what Miggers was implying... :wicked: 

Soitenly is Cedders.

I naturally assumed that as our Edwud is somewhat well"Anglicized"(partially by your good self I believe),he'd know what I were

indeed implying;).

Very tired through his thrilling and pleasurable exertions with the delightful Mrs P and not by playing cricket

(other bat and ball games are available)with any dubiously attired gentlemen of a certain persuasion whom

indeed do like to "bat for the other side".

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Of course one does not go Stateside and say: "Oi Mate. Can I bum a fag off you'" *

* = "Hello friend, may I scrounge a cigarette pleae?"

• Like 3