Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

On 18/11/2016 at 7:42 PM, AlexN said:

Wearing the Robe of Rassilon... (I'm a Big Finish fan.)

I knew nothing about this website. Thanks for the link Alex . I just spent a pleasurable 20 minutes listening to a free excerpt from a lost episode of 'The Avengers' :) .

This aircraft really looks the business now PC. I like your improvised stand - is that a little box of butcher birds I see?

Regarding your brother; A chair, rope, gaffa tape, nipple clamps, 3 elastic bands, a lollipop stick and a metal cheese grater. :thumbsup2: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Regarding your brother; A chair, rope, gaffa tape, nipple clamps, 3 elastic bands, a lollipop stick and a metal cheese grater. :thumbsup2: 

Your describing a nice weekend with the wife Tony. :wub:

I've always thought that of that eras big three swingers- the Vark,  the Tonka and the Fencer,  the Fencer was the best looking of the lot.  I've never bought a kit of it because they where all so expensive,  but seeing how big that beast is the kits may not be overpriced. :huh:

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

I've never bought a kit of it because they where all so expensive,  but seeing how big that beast is the kits may not be overpriced. :huh:

Oh, it's probably a little overpriced. I think $35 is a fair price for a new kit of the Fencer's size, but Trumpeter (and most US retailers) want c. $45 for it. Perhaps if the fit were better I would feel differently -- the Airfix 1/72 Lightning F.6's fit is so poor I'd hesitate to pay more than $12 for it, but I'd happily pay $20 for a single Eduard Hellcat. 

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

23 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

Your describing a nice weekend with the wife Tony. :wub:

Wow, folks sure do things differently in Alabama!

• Like 4

That looks great PC - smooth and even.

I'm still thinking about the options for BiL. Both have their attractions... that said Simon's offer is attractive and very 'Strangers on a Train'. :)

On 17/11/2016 at 8:03 PM, Miggers said:

Godzilla slippers eh,hhmmm.:hmmm:

Dealer boots are my footware of choice for going out in(very fashionable here in the UK at the mo.Edward).

I have three pairs,all brogue style,including a pair of these beauties:

https://www.ardmoor.co.uk/banbury-market-boot-573l-573l

They're a lovely light tan Mustang leather with metal quarter heel tips,Mrs Miggers calls them "noisy clown shoes"..........

You're lucky.

When my daughter was between 5 and 11, the first time she noticed I wore a pinstripe suit to work she called it my clown suit.

The stripes weren't that wide ...

• Like 7

Nice work PC :clap:

I mean on the Fencer seams and gaps, that's a tidy job, not the various and nefarious plans to re-educate retared BiL. Although... if you do answer the urge to batter some sense into him I do hope the ambulance crew who safe his sorry existance are, um, what's the currently accepted term for those of us who aren't so pale a shade of pink?

• Like 3

It sounds as though your brother needs a short course in biology, and genetics specifically, PC. If sub-human - whatever that really means - then 'interbreeding' would not be possible. Ignorance is a really dangerous scourge.

Oh, and be careful with that axe, Eugene.

Sadly, I flogged my 1/48 F-111 - but interestingly, found a1/48 'Mini Hobby Models' Super Flanker (it's in the Scalemates database) when rootling about for summat else in the collection the other day :).

And I have taken to writing out 'Trumpeter' in full again myself, to avoid any confusion.

Fencer looking more like a naeroplane now :). Nice.

A.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Brother, sorry, not BiL - apologies... who was I thinking about I wonder... :whistle: 

I was the one with a racist BiL. Although maybe yours is too?   :shrug:

The Fencer is coming along nicely. Which scheme? I like the gray with white underside myself, what is that for - Russian Coastal Command?   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

The Fencer is coming along nicely. Which scheme? I like the gray with white underside myself, what is that for - Russian Coastal Command?   :)

Apparently the grey-and-white scheme is the standard Russian paint job for nuclear-capable aircraft (hence Backfires and Blinders being the same colours), per the Yefim Gordon book. I'd always thought some were painted in the VVS camo scheme that Russian tactical jets wore in the 1980s, but apparently only a demonstrator aircraft and export models (Su-24MKK?) were so painted. The one I'm doing is the earliest version of the scheme, where the radome is white and the rest of the uppersurfaces save dialectric panels aren't (isn't?) -- later aircraft painted the nose white all the way back to the windscreen, to make it and the reconnaissance version look identical to US spy satellites. 

• Like 7

Speaking of, Akan white cut with Gunze self-levelling on the underbelly:

31085318096_d32ef19e86_h.jpg20161119_184418 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Akan is either quite thick or much too thin, I find, and so the brush clogs and sputters a bit with it -- not normally a problem for me, but I'm told it happens to lots of guys anyway, so who are you to judge?

White done up top:

30300816824_705a38ed93_h.jpg20161119_190457 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The astute observer will note that I belatedly added the base for the Master Models pitot tube, a tiny work of art wasted in the weird Christopher-Plummer-after-the-plane-fire-scene-fingers of yr. correspondent. It's too narrow to fit on the kit at the radome, so one has to cut down and drill out the kit pitot to serve as a sort of docking adapter. 

30978596692_1f648f224e_h.jpg20161119_190551 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30978596542_167b65fb70_h.jpg20161119_190504 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I've sanded back a few spots where paint blobs got on the machine, then I need to fix the nose-pitot join, then I'll wait a while for the paint to dry (Akan peels like Xtracrylics) and then I'll mask the underbelly and do the uppersurfaces.

• Like 11

Looking edible, PC - although I suspect that in reality, neither edible nor palatable.

Hmm...I could be tempted to acquire one of these - after the supposedly forthcoming Airfix Victor (they keep shifting the dates, latest of which is 25 November). Anyone want to buy a mountain of Dragon armour kits?

• Like 2

Smart work on the whites* PC. :thumbsup2: Enjoying your production notes on the qualities of various paints; I must look at venturing-out beyond Tamiya, but limited in what I can buy here locally.

Tony

*Why does everything innocuous sound like a Trump tweet now...

• Like 4

Docking Adapter eh,I like it,very spacey NASA sounding ring to it.

Not used AKAN paint(Azko Nobel yes,AKAN no),but try to establish a baseline cut if you can Ed.

Start at say 4:1 and see how it runs down the mixing jar,it should run easily and leave a fairly strong tail of colour.

Obviously,if it dont run,add your thinner until you get the desired run and go from there.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Procopius said:

Listen, if you're going to end a human life in a fit of passion, how would you rather do it:

1. With poison, bloodlessly
  2. Barechested, screaming in rage, and firing a minigun at a rate of six thousand rounds per minute?

I submit to you that almost anyone would pick the minigun.

Burp gun every time.Buuuuuut,Deb seems pretty handy with that skillet.............

Talking of the Trumpster,sounds like he's coming over here for a bit of the Red Carpet at Buck House action.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Don't be silly. Don't aim to kill him. Just maim. Think knees,  arms etc.

Most people think that the best way of kneecapping someone is to fire a shot through the joint from behind, thus blowing the kneecap off.

But it isn't.

The best way of kneecapping someone is to fire a shot through the joint from the front, thereby shattering the patella...

• Like 6

I have always* felt that hammering a spike (or, in extremis, a screwdriver) through would be more satisfying. But a bullet sounds very effective. 

PC, your brother must have two knees, sounds like you could use both the techniques that Debs suggests and report back?

* well, not always. Since I was thirteen, maybe.

• Like 5

Scary.

I think the 'from the front' method is preferred because there's no name for 'the back of the knee'.

(Attempting to return the thread to jocular subjects and away from, gulp, thoughts of fratricide and fratr-in-law-icide.

I, for one, will be watching the news after Thanksgiving for items about problems at family gatherings, although I fear it will be hard to pick out just our one to two).

• Like 5

This whole knee-capping business; it's surprising how vulnerable the old knee-cap can be.

One day, around 8 years of age, I was (as was quite usual) making a model on the table at my grandmothers home. I dropped a tiny part.

Time to fight the (very thick 1970's style) carpet monster.

I left my chair and knelt on the carpet with the intention of searching for the tiny component.

Red hot pain through the knee, lightning style.

Upon standing I noticed a (brass?) drawing pin was now flush with my knee, pinning my trousers to me quite neatly.

For some reason I think I grabbed a pair of tweezers,went and sat in my grandfathers rocking chair, and promptly pulled the drawing pin out.

Much fountain of redness.

I believe it was at this point I screamed.

Ambulance, hospital, X-ray, plaster cast, wheelchair.

The X-ray showed that this little drawing pin had done a good job of shattering the kneecap (patella?) from a central

point outwards; little crack lines.

Landed me in a wheelchair for weeks.

Looks like not even bullets would be required.

Staple gun?

:D 

TonyT

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

I, for one, will be watching the news after Thanksgiving for items about problems at family gatherings, although I fear it will be hard to pick out just our one to two).

There's a blog called Lowering the Bar that I follow for work that has a feature called "Good Reasons to Kill". If you take one thing away from reading it, let it be that Americans are a volatile people, especially around the holidays.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I left my chair and knelt on the carpet with the intention of searching for the tiny component.

Red hot pain through the knee, lightning style.

Upon standing I noticed a (brass?) drawing pin was now flush with my knee, pinning my trousers to me quite neatly.

DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN

• Like 4