Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Procopius

Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

Recommended Posts

Have you ever considered making your own compressor?  My buddy did it with a salvaged refrigerator compressor.  It's almost completely silent and gives steady pressure.  Best part, the entire compressor cost him $45. Once my shop compressor finally dies, that's my plan to replace it.

 

 

Here is a how to: 

 

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-modify-a-fridge-compressor-into-a-silent-ai/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Have you ever considered making your own compressor?  My buddy did it with a salvaged refrigerator compressor.  It's almost completely silent and gives steady pressure.  Best part, the entire compressor cost him $45. Once my shop compressor finally dies, that's my plan to replace it.

 

 

Here is a how to: 

 

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-modify-a-fridge-compressor-into-a-silent-ai/

 

When I was first getting into modelling, I did, but unfortunately I'm far from handy -- I'm one of those people who can't put together an Ikea desk without a little swearing and a skinned knuckle or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Procopius said:

 

When I was first getting into modelling, I did, but unfortunately I'm far from handy -- I'm one of those people who can't put together an Ikea desk without a little swearing and a skinned knuckle or two. 

 

Ah, so you're just like every other human being on the planet. At least Ikea doesn't use horse meat in their meatballs. No, wait...    :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

 

Ah, so you're just like every other human being on the planet. At least Ikea doesn't use horse meat in their meatballs. No, wait...    :)

 

 

Mrs P cannot turn the little Allen wrenches with enough force to tighten anything from them, no joke. I once asked her how she opened jars before we were married: apparently she jabbed a knife through the lid to break the seal. Rust was a concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Fencer is looking good, Ed. Sorry to hear that you don't get along with the MIL. For cleaning the airbrush, I run Iwata's Airbrush Cleaning solution through it, then a little laquer, and a few drops of the cleaning solution again right before I spray again. It's not the cheap, but a bottle has lasted me 6 months now and I've only used half of it, and you can get a bottle with the 40% coupon from Hobby Lobby.I'll definitely have to look into the windshield wiper tip though.

Edited by Supertom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome home PC. The Fencer weathering looks awesome, especially compared to your ref pic.

 

That is a sweet airbrush collection. Do you have a specific use for each? I've been using windex to clean water based acrylics too, but am always sure to run a little Iwata cleaner or distilled water through it afterwards, in the hopes that I don't destroy the seals. So far so good.

 

I use an inexpensive and loud compressor, it came with a free nail gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fencer looking great with that weathering Edward. I use windscreen wash fluid for cleaning my airbrush, but could do with something stronger so will try your mix :)

 

The photo on the previous page of your missus made me laugh, that blank look I get off mine when I tell her what my next build will be :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you're back safe from a guest appearance in Down by Mother in Law. Late on the vote PC but I'd add my voice to Liberation Day as the next adventure.

Tony

Edit:

PS. The Yurchak book arrived today. I love the chapter on ideologically harmful music - Julio Iglesias guilty of neofascism? I always suspected as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harley John said:

Weathering looks good.

Airbrushes? Compressors? What strange wizard talk is this?

 

I'm always impressed by people who (like @tonyot and, if memory serves, @PlaStix) can achieve a superior finish with only brushes. With good-quality airbrushes, I can about swing mediocre, so here I am.

 

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That is a sweet airbrush collection. Do you have a specific use for each?

 

Eh, not really. I was thinking of using the cheapo Master airbrush as my dedicated enamels brush, but that honor may fall to my recently-ordered Badger 350 external mix brush, since I plan on only using enamels for underbelly colours and won't need a ton of precision (not that I'm capable of it with any brush). and it's easy to clean, per Navy Bird, who is even wiser than he is handsome, if such a thing can be believed. I use the Badger 200 exclusively for lacquers and lacquer-based primers, though.

 

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I've been using windex to clean water based acrylics too, but am always sure to run a little Iwata cleaner or distilled water through it afterwards, in the hopes that I don't destroy the seals. So far so good.

 

Of course, I just discovered this page, where the owner of the Badger Airbrush Company says it's perfectly fine to use Windex or ammonia, so long as it's being sprayed through. My mistake was leaving my color cup in it overnight, which is why the chrome was stripped away. So I feel a little dumb now. But I still can use the squirt bottle!

 

50 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Glad you're back safe from a guest appearance in Down by Mother in Law. Late on the vote but I'd plump for Liberation Day.

 

You know, I've never seen it! Tom Waits' voice makes me feel an intense need to gargle. I know many people love his music, but I am prepared to use lethal force on those people if they try to share it with me.

 

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

The photo on the previous page of your missus made me laugh, that blank look I get off mine when I tell her what my next build will be :lol:

 

Yes, Mrs P is fairly disinterested, but that's okay, because an unwillingness to take interest in modelling means you never really can be sure if the stash was always this big, or if that truly is a different kit than the one that was there before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Procopius said:

 

Tom Waits' voice makes me feel an intense need to gargle. I know many people love his music, but I am prepared to use lethal force on those people if they try to share it with me.

 

 

You don't know where I live, right?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beard said:

 

You don't know where I live, right?

 

 

 

 

Weirdly, that looks a little like my house. Do you know where I live?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Procopius said:

 

Weirdly, that looks a little like my house.

 

 

It looks like the house Elvis was born in. You're not Elvis, are you?

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

 

Do you know where I live?

 

 

Luckily, for you, I don't. Which is unluckily for me as I need to borrow some milk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Beard said:

 

It looks like the house Elvis was born in. You're not Elvis, are you?

 

You know too much.

 

20 minutes ago, Beard said:

Luckily, for you, I don't. Which is unluckily for me as I need to borrow some milk.

 

Your luck's held out, I rarely have any milk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Procopius said:

 

I'm always impressed by people who (like @tonyot and, if memory serves, @PlaStix) can achieve a superior finish with only brushes. With good-quality airbrushes, I can about swing mediocre, so here I am.

 

 

 

Those guys are the basis of my current build. I'll  get it finished and posted as soon the weather dries out. Gotta love Alabama weather,  70 degrees today and it's supposed to snow Friday. :unsure:

 

I gotta say, I'm having a blast not worrying about all the nonsense that comes with all extra steps of the airbrushing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

I gotta say, I'm having a blast not worrying about all the nonsense that comes with all extra steps of the airbrushing. 

 

I felt a lot less pressure to do a good job when brushpainting, which has its upsides and downsides, but I think plenty of others manage to do quite well with brushpainting. For me, I wasn't very good in general, and the airbrush was the impetus to try and get a little (but not too much, you understand) better at the hobby. Brush painting is loads easier, though. 

 

Ugh, look at those seams on one I did in 2011:

 

280642_246410288717124_6048507_o.jpg?oh=

 

Terrible.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Looks just like my 2013 builds, except your brush painting is better.

 

Having seen some of them in person, no, no it was not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After some unusually good time management (by my standards*), I think we can really call this done. It's a 2016 build as far as I'm concerned, since it would have been finished handily had I not been lured to Michigan with the promise of fancy undergarments (not mine). Not a mistake I will make again, gentlemen!

 

31717755570_9e42be2d1e_h.jpg20170103_235014 by Edward IX, on Flickr
 

31975013421_44d0a47fbb_h.jpg20170103_234949 by Edward IX, on Flickr

 

32054153346_4d461b5947_h.jpg2017-01-04_12-02-41 by Edward IX, on Flickr

 

Weathering: not great, everything else the same. A surprisingly frustrating kit in some ways, with some issues I don't think should be present on a jet kit from a mainstream company costing nearly fifty dollars. But I did it and so can you.

 

 

 

 

* Which are low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand you will see faults in your model that none of the rest of us do; I think you've actually made a really good job of the build and the painting - and the weathering which looks perfectly convincing to me. Had you told the Procopius of one year ago that you would be applying weathering to one of your builds and no-one except you would think it 'not great'... well what would that protoypical Procopious have thought?

 

Allow yourself at least a little pat on the back, you worked hard for it and no-one will disagree that you earned it :) 

 

Cheers,

 

Stew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seconded!

After all the trials and tribulations you've produced a good model PC and one that will certainly enhance your collection. Good job Egbert!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work PC!  :coolio:

 

Weathering these wingy blighters certainly takes some practice.....My battle with the Bf.110 continues.  :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Procopius said:

had I not been lured to Michigan with the promise of fancy undergarments (not mine).

I can't decide if that's Flannery O'Connor or Dorothy Parker... :lol::crying:

 

Given the frustrations of the kit, I'd say you've retained your composure admirably PC. :thumbsup2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Sir, well done. I'd be very happy if I could brush paint as well as you achieved on that Spit. Part of the joy of returning to the hobby for me has been learning and trying new things to hopefully drag my builds up from mediocre to mundane.

And the promise of fancy undergarments has weakened the resolve of many an individual, whether in Michigan or not!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×