Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

On 06/12/2016 at 10:29 PM, Ascoteer said:

I'm 5'71/2" (the 1/2" is important !) which makes me too small for a Priller RSV Mille. Hence me getting the Duc.

My GPZ1100 that I had back in the '80s was realy too tall for me - If I got a lean on stationary I couldn't hold it up. :o

Yup, just like my b**** of a sister (who I havent talked to since 2009 and probably never will again).

Used to know a guy with a 900 Supersport who was about 5' 4" and struggled with it. Came into the pub one Sunday with his wrist in plaster and started telling everyone about coming off on gravel at a junction. That story lasted a few hours until Dave who owned the pub said, "Nah. He fell over trying to park it outside yesterday when the kick-stand flipped back."

On 06/12/2016 at 11:45 PM, limeypilot said:

I have a '78 900 GTS that I've owned since '86 and brought to the US with me. My favourite sport is waiting until someone has their back to me, then starting it and watching to see how high they jump! :-)

I can (and have) "kicked it over" with my hand to start it.....

Ian

Ha ha ha! There's an annual motorcycle convention at Alford every year that used to be well worth a visit. One year they had a Ducati race bike doing demo laps around the small track and a few of us were hanging out in the paddock area watching this thing rip past when my mate's girlfriend turned to my girlfriend and said, "You should come and sit here (on the ground) with me. It's worth it everytime that big bike goes past."

On 06/12/2016 at 11:56 PM, Ascoteer said:

As a SAAI (Skill At Arms Instructor) my advice is: Always shoot at the centre of mass. It's easier to hit and contains all the 'squidgey bits'. Ergo it's the place the bullet will do the most damage...

Unless you want to eat it ;) 

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

The big issue is the decal water going cold -- someone on here mentioned they use a small hot plate to keep it warm, which sounded brilliant to me until I had visions of the grotto engulfed in flames if I forgot to turn it off.

When re-doing the bathroom in our current place (I've no idea how to describe the horrific colour of the origonal basin and bath. Someone tried to tell me it was 'avocado' but if I'd found an avocado looking like that it would have gone straight in the bin. On the end of a long stick) I built the sink onto a storage unit with enough worktop space for a typical 32nd scale fighter model and a sheet of decal placement instructions. Quite handy having a constant supply of hot water 'on tap' as it were. Please note I didn't describe it in quite this manner to Fiona while contructing it ;) 

Decals always bring a model to life in my opinion. Give it an extra measure of identity. What's you opinion of the Bergemot decals so far PC?

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Yep, college kids here use them to have sex by candlelight (and then inevitably burn themselves by spilling hot wax all over).

Nope! Just no. I like to think I'm an open-minded sort of lad but soe things come under heading of No! without any further investigation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Col. said:

What's you opinion of the Bergemot decals so far PC?

The stencils seem very slightly blurry and not very crisp, but since I can't read Cyrillic it doesn't make much difference at any remotely normal viewing distance. So far they've performed surprisingly well, but we'll see what happens long term and if they silver at all. I've used Micro-Set (the blue bottle, anyway), but no Micro-sol (the red bottle, anyhow) yet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beard said:

Are you speaking from experience? 

Edit: there's no need to answer that question.

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Do I strike you as the sort of person who was getting a lot of candlelight action?

Well given that young Winston undeniably exists and your recent admission to you and Mrs P's recent amorous adventures, me thinks thou doth protest too loudly! :o:lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Do I strike you as the sort of person who was getting a lot of candlelight action?

Oh yeah ba... Oh no, wait, Winnie's in the other room :(

Loved the 'wrapped around your finger' clip, although I didn't watch it as, we all know, at my age the mental images are far more enjoyable than the reality (no, I don't have any blue pills).

Rob thanks for the link - my tool illness almost made me click 'buy now' (£6 and I can have 'Summer Delights' tomorrow) but I realised that I don't need it - my hot water tap is minutes away (unlike PC who has to ascend from the basement). I am in recovery!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Rob thanks for the link - my tool illness almost made me click 'buy now' (£6 and I can have 'Summer Delights' tomorrow) but I realised that I don't need it - my hot water tap is minutes away (unlike PC who has to ascend from the basement). I am in recovery!

My kitchen tap is literally mere meters away, yet my decal water was always cold. Mostly because I'm too bloomin' lazy to get up and change it. I no longer have to...

Go on, buy one. You know you want to and it's only 6 quid... :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Procopius said:

The big issue is the decal water going cold -- someone on here mentioned they use a small hot plate to keep it warm, which sounded brilliant to me until I had visions of the grotto engulfed in flames if I forgot to turn it off.

So you get yourself one of these:

cupwarm1404015383_1466572989.jpg

There's a big gift-giving day happening soonish. perhaps Mrs P could be persuaded?

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Jessica said:

There's a big gift-giving day happening soonish. perhaps Mrs P could be persuaded?

I'd actually looked at one of those -- the big issue is that it has no timer feature and seems childishly easy to forget about (or burn myself with).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harley John said:

Well that would have been 5 minutes 11 seconds I'd have lost for ever if I'd watched the whole video.    

We have no proof you don't get a refund at the end. 

1 hour ago, Jessica said:

You can solve that problem with a vacation timer in the power line. Simply set it to turn off in a couple of hours and Robert's your father's brother.

Brilliant!

4 hours ago, Harley John said:

Well given that young Winston undeniably exists and your recent admission to you and Mrs P's recent amorous adventures, me thinks thou doth protest too loudly! :o:lol:

I love Mrs P very very dearly, and there is no woman on earth more beautiful or more suited to me, but she's about as "romantic" (whatever that really means) as a napalm strike.

In any case, I'm almost done with the portside stencils (there are about fifty), so I added the aircraft-specific markings. The Begemot sheet (separate from their stencil sheet) is a pretty comprehensive kit for making an Su-24, with lots of bort numbers in different fonts, which was nice, because "20 White" had an unusual style of bort number. It even has three different versions of the Sukhoi archer, which was the bureau's logo.

31483249666_be1276230c_h.jpg2016-12-08_09-45-57 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Jessica said:

You have to love it when someone presents you with a solution to a problem you didn't know you had! I must acquire one of these, immediately! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Harley John said:

That would be before they started charging punters a small ransom for entry would it?

Aye and getting charged entry to the public car park didn't impress me either. Half the fun used to be the free bike show in the car park before entering the museum grounds and seeing stuff such as the Moped Marathon :blink:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harley John said:

Hmmm, think I'd be weathering that to an inch of its life to hide the fact that I hadn't put a lot of those fiddly little blighters on! In my defence my patience is nearly as poor as my eyesight.

I almost never do all (or most!) of the stencils, but these came from an aftermarket sheet, and I paid for the damned thing, so here we are.

• Like 6

On 30/11/2016 at 18:18, Ascoteer said:

You have a one year old and you're trying for another?

Wow!

That's brave / mad / crazy *

* Delete as appropriate.

My son is 5 weeks old and I want another one, the missus isn't too keen though, unsurprising really. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CedB said:

(unlike PC who has to ascend from the basement). I am in recovery!

Full disclosure: there is a sink in the basement, but it's on the exact opposite end of it (the basement is subdivided by walls into three rooms: a main finished area, the furnace room, and then my grotto). Previously the finished area was heated by a large aluminium lacquer-painted steel box about the size and shape of a minifridge attached directly to the heater, but it began to spark alarmingly about three years ago when turned on, and so we finally had what we both agreed had essentially become the house's self-destruct system removed this year. Now the basement is heated entirely by waste heat from the furnace, and so the finished area gets very cold, down to about 50 F in winter. The grotto, aided by a small 1980s-vintage hot water heater, is considerably warmer.

Anyway, the sink is far, and I hate to stop when I have a rhythm going.

45 minutes ago, Reaper said:

My son is 5 weeks old and I want another one, the missus isn't too keen though, unsurprising really. 

You'll trade places soon enough.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

Full disclosure: there is a sink in the basement, but it's on the exact opposite end of it (the basement is subdivided by walls into three rooms: a main finished area, the furnace room, and then my grotto). Previously the finished area was heated by a large aluminium lacquer-painted steel box about the size and shape of a minifridge attached directly to the heater, but it began to spark alarmingly about three years ago when turned on, and so we finally had what we both agreed had essentially become the house's self-destruct system removed this year. Now the basement is heated entirely by waste heat from the furnace, and so the finished area gets very cold, down to about 50 F in winter. The grotto, aided by a small 1980s-vintage hot water heater, is considerably warmer.

Anyway, the sink is far, and I hate to stop when I have a rhythm going.

You'll trade places soon enough.

All the collectables have already been moved up a shelf. What I would like to know is, where did you get those shark slippers for your son, they're awesome!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reaper said:

All the collectables have already been moved up a shelf. What I would like to know is, where did you get those shark slippers for your son, they're awesome!

Aren't they? I love sharkmouths, so Mrs P got him two pairs for indoor use. I'll ask her where she found them.

EDIT: Target, apparently, the most important store for any Midwesterner.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Aren't they? I love sharkmouths, so Mrs P got him two pairs for indoor use. I'll ask her where she found them.

EDIT: Target, apparently, the most important store for any Midwesterner.

Cheers, they're in store only though... this might be an excuse to take a holiday to America.