Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

37 minutes ago, CedB said:

Crikey PC, better be careful what we say then...

Stalker? Heck!

Inactive, so far as I know these days (though they could just be really incompetent), though. It's a long and kind of weird/grim story, perhaps best left untold. I'm a very ordinary person!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Beard said:

If it can't be a Spitfire then your Great Uncle's B-24.

If it can't be a Spitfire, perhaps a proper Seafire (not a hacked-up job). Failing that, that B-24 piece o' Big Iron would be interesting.

Happy Christmas to you and yours in the frozen North.

• Like 1

No family project but a b-24 is planned so gets my vote, and your last one was a crackers! 

Stalker, that's got to be creepy! 

A merry (stalkerless) Christmas to yourself  and your delightful family!

Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back! Michigan (and my mother in law in particular) can eat a bag of richards. God has forsaken that blasted hellhole, and I too was forsook (not a real word) the moment I entered that wretched state. However, when she wasn't busy yelling at me for having the temerity to use her television (she uses mine virtually 24/7 when she visits, because her crappy internet can't support streaming Netflix, whereas my mighty, surging broadband can stream, nay, ragingly flood video in high-definition) or telling me how I'm not a very good parent, or whatever else she's up to at the bidding of her master, The Devil, I was able to think loads about modelling. I also got a new airbrush:

20170102_113238

It's a Badger 105, and it's basically your generic entry-level 0.5mm needle double-action airbrush, but it's a top feeder (my current 175 feeds from a cup at the bottom), and it looks so nice that I'm almost afraid to use it. 

In fact, I was partially afraid because I've been cleaning my airbrush mostly with Windex, which is more or less ammonia and some blue food colouring on this side of the pond. This cleans them out in a jiffy, and well it might, since it also eats back the chrome finish all the way to the brass. Probably not good, and my 175 is going in tomorrow to be serviced (fnarr, fnarr) by the company to cure the hurts I've inflicted in four years of use. I also decided it was high time I found an alternate cleaner.

I initially settled on windshield wiper fluid, which is apparently (in the winter form available now) methanol, and maybe some isopropyl alcohol. This didn't seem to work as well as the Windex, so I settled on a 50/50 mix (approximately) of it and 91% IPA in this neat little squirter bottle I bought today when I got groceries, for the princely sum of two bucks.

31916393972_40e448bad8_h.jpg20170102_181759 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I've resolved to be safer with paints and chemicals in 2017, so I wore my mask when I ran it through the airbrush. This way I'll be fully conscious for all of the wretchedness to come.

Also, here are all my babies!

31916393852_0112bd8bac_h.jpg20170102_174644 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Top to bottom: Badger 200 single-action rebadged as an Alclad airbrush; Badger 175 double-action; Master double-action; Badger 105 double-action; Badger SOTAR 20/20 double-action. Badger is based in my hometown, so their brushes are easy for me to get inexpensively. 

Here's my actual baby with Mrs P:

32025577626_76e19f75f2_h.jpg20170101_161144 by Edward IX, on Flickr

My, what big teeth she has.

Also: weathered the bottom of the Su-24 more, and did it wrong, but I don't care any more. 

31223217054_30a49f99e6_h.jpg2017010

stock-photo-moscow-russia-may-soviet-str

"Over-weathered." Your powers are useless! I DON'T GIVE A GOOD GOD DAMN!

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Rob G said:

I feel... less than manly. I only own 3 airbrushes. :( (And one of them hardly counts, as it's an Aztec.)

I do own 2 compressors though, so mayhap that redeems somewhat?

I'm really intrigued by the Aztek. I know it gets a bad rap, but it seems so weird and goofy, and I'm both of those things. How do you like yours?

2 minutes ago, Rob G said:

I do own 2 compressors though, so mayhap that redeems somewhat?

I'm looking into getting a new one myself. Indoor compressors for tradesmen seem to offer a lot more for the same price than hobby compressors. I saw one that's only 60 decibels, with a 5 gallon air tank, and it's only $185 USD -- less than a quiet-running hobby one with a 1-gallon air tank!

1 minute ago, Navy Bird said:

I clean all of my airbrushes with 100% non-diluted lacquer thinner (without a mask!) because, hey, I already have cancer.     :)

That's a relief, because I did that about 30% of the time last three years or so, and I was starting to wonder if I'd signed my own death warrant. 

2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

That's a relief, because I did that about 30% of the time last three years or so, and I was starting to wonder if I'd signed my own death warrant. 

This is one of the reasons I like my old Paasche Model H single action external feed airbrush. I clean it without spraying anything through it. All that needs to be cleaned are the cup, the needle, and the cap. All come right off of the brush with one set screw twist. I use an eyedropper to flush all three components - no spraying and no noxious cloud of atomised carcinogens hovering around my head.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Interesting! The roughly-equivalent-but-slightly-downmarket Badger 350 is selling for $16 shipped on ebay new, so I've grabbed one to see how I like it.

30 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I'm really intrigued by the Aztek. I know it gets a bad rap, but it seems so weird and goofy, and I'm both of those things. How do you like yours?

When it works, it's ok. When it doesn't, it gets put away until I have another attack of stupid and pull it out again. I've had my Iwata HP-C for 10 years or so and haven't felt the need to even look at the Aztek in the interim. That's how frustrating it is.

The main problem with the Aztek is that it's designed around 2 springs working against each other, which is fine in theory, but not so good in practice. When I'm next in a self-flagellating mood, I'll dig it out and put some paint through it, just for giggles.

• Like 3

Looking at your photo and then the photo of the real thing, I don't think it was overweathered at all, in fact I'd have added some more streaking in Burnt Sienna TBH.....The real one is filthy, almost everywhere.  :nerd:

But then, I do mostly paint tanks.  ;)

As for the new project, I'd vote for the B-24.  :coolio:

FWIW

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I'm looking into getting a new one myself. Indoor compressors for tradesmen seem to offer a lot more for the same price than hobby compressors. I saw one that's only 60 decibels, with a 5 gallon air tank, and it's only $185 USD -- less than a quiet-running hobby one with a 1-gallon air tank!

Sounds like mine - what's the brand? Mine is GMC Syclone, like the truck, but that was just a name used under license. It's actually made by California Air Tools, and that's the name it goes by now. They have a 60 dB model with a 5.5 gallon tank for $127 on Amazon

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Navy Bird said:

Sounds like mine - what's the brand? Mine is GMC Syclone, like the truck, but that was just a name used under license. It's actually made by California Air Tools, and that's the name it goes by now. They have a 60 dB model with a 5.5 gallon tank for $127 on Amazon

Cheers,

Bill

That'd be the one. I was going to plump for the aluminium tank on the assumption that mo' money = mo' betta.

Welcome back Edward; I thought the weathering looked fine too, and I still think it looks fine.

The Procopia are all looking rather well too, though from the view through the window Michigan looks pretty cold.

I'm still using a Badger 150, all those knobs and levers on the newer models intimidate me, I like something of almost agricultural simplicity and not something that I might have a suspicion is for smarter people than me... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Welcome home PC! There's no place like home...

That weathering looks good to me in both versions - but you need to be happy with it, even if it is on the bottom :) 

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

My, what big teeth she has.

All the better to... no, better not go there :whistle:

Mrs P is looking fine and Winnie's career option as a Cirque de Soleil character is off to a good start.

Airbrushes and compressors? You tempt me with your purchases... I've stopped using my H&S Evolution for messy things like primer and varnish in the hope that it will always deliver a perfect spray. I've just given it a stroke and it was stiff, despite cleaning after use (oh, alright you lot, fnaar fnaar!) a few days ago with 'proprietary cleaner' - Paul at modelling tools, my airbrush guru, recommended always using the same brand cleaner as the paint on the basis that they know what they're doing but I don't have any Mr Hobby cleaner so something must have hidden in the innards. I've just cleaned it out with Spraycraft cleaner that 'contains acetone and Xylene' and there went the green from the Pfeil. I must try harder.

For dirty stuff I'm using the Chinese cheapo that came with my first set but it has a side-feed cup, hard to clean. Perhaps it's time to find something else :hmmm: 

• Like 1

Great work PC hope you had a great time away. ;) the weathering looks great. As for cleaner as I mainly use Tamiya Acrylic I clean ma brush through with Mr Hobby Thinner. Spot a bit in the top and run it through into one of those cleaning jar hoojimawhatzits. (No fumes) not quite as harsh as cleaning fluids and maybe a little more pricy but it eats the paint a treat and cleans really well.  Just my two penneth.

hope you have / are having a lovely new year.

Johnny.

• Like 1