Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

First off. The mudguard as it is now:

31757050525_7a150a5316_h.jpg20161219_224113 by Edward IX, on Flickr

31610205902_a0385d6917_h.jpg20161219_224117 by Edward IX, on Flickr

NB, even with the spacer, a test fit shows it to be too narrow -- there's a gap between one half and the other. How do you ████ something up this badly? Amodel didn't do this to me.

Secondly, the nosewheels are fixed. Here she is on her pins with some friends for scale: 

31610230892_c38e34bc15_h.jpg2016-12-19_10-49-02 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 9

Madeleine does look cute, if a bit cross... you know what these ladies are like about their nails (ducks) :) 

What a pain those mudguards are... if you'd like some more ideas could you show us a photo of the wheels (could they be made thinner or closer together?), the mudguard parts (which looks quite complex with the slots) and the real thing all together? Maybe, just maybe, someone will come up with an idea that saves further angst...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Too much tonight. I ran 3.5 miles and did a bunch of other stuff

Happens to me a lot, though in my case it's always in dreams whilst being pursued by the shrieking demons of self-doubt and perplexity.

Mudguard: irritating but surmountable.

Rocket decals: more than a Vostok. Don't envy you.

Madeline: Aww. Just...awwwwwlovely.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Happens to me a lot, though in my case it's always in dreams whilst being pursued by the shrieking demons of self-doubt and perplexity.

Oh, if we're counting that, I've never stopped running.

As for the nose gear, it's just infuriating, really. Especially since it likely means I won't finish the Su-24 this year. Such a dumb thing to do. You shouldn't have to be sawing apart pieces from a $45 kit to make them fit after you add a pound of scrap plastic.

• Like 4

scrap the whole part!! photos of SU-24s show the mud guard is made up of metal pressings- and what Trumpeter depicts as thick bars at the back are actually thin metal louvres.

03-m_3.jpg

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk190_Su-24/walk190.htm

I think I would keep the two sides of the Trumpeter part and scratchbuild the curved rear.If I was feeling brave I'd scratchbuild the whole thing!

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 9

Oh Porkins.

10 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

My 10 cents, this is the powers that be telling you to build it gear up.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true. 

giphy.gif

I don't build 'em gear-up. I just don't. 

32 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

That would be a piece of wee wee to scratch up PC. Especially if you based it on the Trumpeter sides.

A bit of 10 thou plastikard and some microstrip and Robert's yer Ma's brother!

This seems like work.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

That would be a piece of wee wee to scratch up PC. Especially if you based it on the Trumpeter sides.

A bit of 10 thou plastikard and some microstrip and Robert's yer Ma's brother!

agree. 

1) Sand Trumpeter sides flat

2) glue square plastic strip to the internal surface to create a little ledge

3) glue a strip of plasticard to form the back (after bending it to shape by securin it to a curved object of the same diameter and plunging in nearly boiling water)

4) glue on the four small strips to represent the louvres using the thinnest plastic card to hand- I don't think in this scale it would be actually be necessary to have the area behind the louvres hollow- a dark wash would give the right effect,

Or, just put it back in the box and let 2017 worry about it...

• Like 3

I sense a Shakespeare moment.

Methinks he doth protest too much.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

I sense a Shakespeare moment

Oh, I don't know if that's a good idea. 

Reading Mr. P's reaction to the close up photo of the mudguard, I immediatialy have visions of Hamlet....

And if the skulll is missing (young Winston playing a round of footballl  soccer with his mum for instance), an alternative is at hand.....

_hedgehog_zpsx43lrpyk.jpg

"To scratchbuild, or not to scratchbuild, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them. To die—to sleep,
No more [....]

We wouldn't want a fellow BMer on the brink of despair, now would we?

So, staying in the spirit of the soviets, lets quote Lenin. "What to do?"

Maybe using the tinfoil of a winebottle is an idea? Easily shaped, the slots can be made with a knife with the plastic part as master.

Or, my way (the easy way of course): find an example of a Fencer that doesn't have the cheesegrater....

Taaadaaa!!! No Parmigiano  in Togliatti? Yeah, I know, probably got knocked of somewhere down the line, But you don't know for sure, do you?

Full size picture:

25182150-TOGLIATTI-RUSSIA-MAY-2-2013-The

Source:

http://www.123rf.com/photo_25182150_togliatti-russia--may-2-2013-the-sukhoi-su-24-fencer-supersonic-all-weather-attack-aircraft-in-togli.html

Oh, and while I'm very late to this build, I just want to say the model looks as good as this thread is. 
Will be looking forward to the finish! Keep up the good work!

Edited by Dorbeck
typing errors... blloody keyboard ;-)
  • Like 5

Disappoint

I is disappoint PC

You could have made fifty in the time you have been old womaning about over that simple little task

cut sides off

Glue new roof at proper wideness

start at front then follow with ribs round to the thin louvers (.Am Sp 4 colonial child) and paint the thing

We all want to see it finished

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dorbeck said:

Taaadaaa!!! No Parmigiano  in Togliatti? Yeah, I know, probably got knocked of somewhere down the line, But you don't know for sure, do you?

http://www.123rf.com/photo_25182150_togliatti-russia--may-2-2013-the-sukhoi-su-24-fencer-supersonic-all-weather-attack-aircraft-in-togli.html

This one's a vanilla Su-24, whereas mine is an Su-24M -- the nose is different on mine (as is the pitot, which is how I tell them apart).

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

Disappoint

I is disappoint PC

You could have made fifty in the time you have been old womaning about over that simple little task

Well, I was at work, so probably not...

4 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

In retort:

But screw your courage to the sticking-place, and we’ll not fail.

I seem to recall the recipient of this advice coming to a fair bit of grief!

Anyway, while you've all been busy calumniating me, I've been getting down to brass tacks:

31658365401_85ccdd703e_h.jpg20161220_192413 by Edward IX, on Flickr

You can see what a cock-up this is. 

30933043954_b75909d2e4_h.jpg20161220_192422 by Edward IX, on Flickr

In any case, a little closer. Maybe I'll fix it up more, maybe I won't. There's really no telling what I'm capable of.

• Like 14