Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

16 hours ago, AlexN said:

I once got to see a whole lot of Yank Aircraft parked up on deck when the USS Kittyhawk drove in to Sydney Harbour for a visit. Well over a decade ago. That's as close as I have ever got to seeing US aircraft in the fleh (as it were), and that was from the other side of Woolloomooloo Bay. And probably as close as I would ever want to be, unless I have a sudden rush of blood to the head (don't get me started about F-335s, though).

Closest I ever got was kissing the cannon gondola on a USAF QF-4E. Did I use the tongue? A gentleman never tells.

More decals on the Flanker. I'm starting to skip stencils, because I want to build other things, someday, and because the panel lines on the placement diagram don't 100% sync up with those on the kit. 

31548912476_9278a5f4f4_h.jpg20161211_185446 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The keen-eyed observer will note that I've painted the L-082 Mak-UL IR missile seeker detector black using a brush.

More of the stencils and aircraft-specific markings:

30745027054_39210a2205_h.jpg20161211_185504 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The decals are doing a reasonably good job of conforming to a very complex surface:

30745024244_d7b9a87648_h.jpg20161211_185554 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Blorf. After this I still have the landing gear and all the stores to do. 

• Like 18

I know what you mean on the Phantom.  I got some quality alone time with a F-8 and F-106 with only the wife in the room.  She admitted she was jealous on the car ride home. 

And that was nothing compared to the stares I got from a northern warehouse manager as I tenderly rubbed down the Meteor fuselage he had separated from the wings in his assembly area. I'd never seen one before and she was lovely. 

• Like 3

Looking good PC and those stencils do add a certain 'je ne sais quoi'... nearly there.

I share your and Thud's need to 'make contact' with beautiful aircraft... has to be done.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2016 at 06:10, Procopius said:

Well, one side done (or as done as it's gonna get):

31450397531_b15b44cae3_h.jpg20161211_000050 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And another begun: 

31566146515_5f95528f26_h.jpg20161211_000036 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Man, eff the Russians and their stupid stencils.

Instead of a tense peace, endless limited wars where we bomb people in absurd countries that don't even have the decency to have air forces. Huge improvement.

I read Chieftains last year, and it's so absurdly, stupidly nihilistic that it ends up being farcical. 

Well I'm just a tiny bit jealous. All I see is the occasional US Army Reserve Black Hawk (and a Chinook one time) that's lost and is navigating by the road network. Once I saw five at once doing it.

Nice stencilling work, yeah Chieftains was not a happy read atall, Team Yankee was more of the same thing but a less bleak outcome but is a bit "'Murica f**k yeah".

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

because the panel lines on the placement diagram don't 100% sync up with those on the kit. 

I was going to say ask Ced about transfer panel line diagrams not matching up with what's on the model, but I think that you were there. It seems that the transfer maker got a bit of a surprise there, too...

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- not a transfer

• Like 2

Nice-looking Fencer, PC! I have to admit that I've sort of skipped to the end on this one. With the fragile state of my psyche nowadays I'm not sure I have the courage and fortitude to read the thirty or so pages of heartbreak and pathos that have no doubt attended this epic build. Right now I'm listening to some Sex Pistols to relax. Hang on mate, your long nightmare is nearly over and the end is nigh!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Ah, that's the spirit PC! Still, I have no doubt that you shall slay this particular dragon with your characteristic élan. Onward to Victory! Za Pobeda!*

Regards,

Jason

*Yes, I realise a literal translation of 'Za Pobeda' would be 'For Victory', but I felt that 'Onward to Victory' is truer to the spirit without being a slavish translation of the original.

Edited by Learstang
Hopeless pedantry, which is itself rather pedantic.

I hope it's just a trick of the light, but in one of those photos it looks as though there's a nasty seam showing in the leading edge of the left wing glove outboard of the pylon. The rest of the finish is so lovely it jumps out at me.

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Hardly, my friend! Still the landing gear and stores to do. So much could still go wrong.

Get all Shostakovich on its a.s.s. and finish with a rousing crescendo. I seem to recall a line from Michael Lewis' Liar's Poker: 'Where there is distress, there is opportunity.'

I fear Jessica may be right btw...

Tony

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jessica said:

I hope it's just a trick of the light, but in one of those photos it looks as though there's a nasty seam showing in the leading edge of the left wing glove outboard of the pylon. The rest of the finish is so lovely it jumps out at me.

Treat it as a panel line? That way, poor PC doesn't have to start all over again from the top. I reckon that I could probably be able to hear the screams and accompanying crunching noises from here.

• Like 2

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:00, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I'm in.  Anyone who has a white ensign on his workbench deserves respect. 

I totally agree . Respect.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jessica said:

It's not the smoothest join, but I'd say it's a very mild-mannered seam. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - 'Team Yankee'.....Just no.  :mellow:

Team Yankee is one I've not read. 

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Tanks are wonderfully stencil-free.....Maybe you should try one?  :hmmm:  :poke:   ;)

Yeah, but you have to weather them, which I don't enjoy. I actually sold off all of my 1/35 armour kits earlier this year...realized I just couldn't bring myself to do one instead of a 1/72 wingy thing.

• Like 3

You have to weather aircraft too.  ;)

My oils are sitting in front of my 110.....Both have a fine layer of dust.  :blush:

But I conquered Poland in just two turns then punched straight through the Maginot line in SCW Storm Over Europe!  :yahoo:

My recent purchase of the remastered Homeworld collection plus 'Deserts Of Kharak' hasn't done much good for my modelling output either, but it was on offer via Steam, for slightly less than the cost of a basic kit.....No way was I not going to buy it under those circumstances, it's just so beautiful.  B)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You have to weather aircraft too.  ;)

Dear boy, the only things I have to do are pay taxes and die. And whatever Mrs P tells me to do, until her back is turned, anyway.

I would say for me, weathering an aircraft feels optional, because aircraft are rarely a single colour. Tanks tend to be pretty bland, and they need the help. 

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

But I conquered Poland in just two turns then punched straight through the Maginot line in SCW Storm Over Europe!  :yahoo:

I changed a particularly foul diaper and got none of it on me or the duvet!

• Like 10

Glosscoat over the uppersurface decals, and tinkered a bit with the stores. A comment I saw elsewhere about people always insisting on loading their models to the gills* got me thinking, so this jet will only have the two big gasbags and the KAB-500 laser-guided bombs -- she wasn't based in Afghanistan, so would likely be travelling light to bomb some hapless hamlet.

* = Obviously they had a dead soul, because fully-loaded jets look cool. 

• Like 4