Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

I'm still worried that CedB thought

Dick Van Dyke had a soft sexy accent.

And we've gone from Bondo to ladies

apparel within just a couple of entries!

Work in progress? Really? On a Sunday too.

BTW Dick van Dyke is on the telly now, White Christmas. Classic.

• Like 5

Pepper, lace shoes, mantlepiece... stop it! She even has exchangeable hands STOP IT!

Pete Gawd bless ya and fnaar fnaar for 'Bondo top ladies' :D

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Harley John said:

Well I'm shaken, not stirred by your comment regarding Bond-related puns!

You raise an interesting point about the design bureaux being forced down a line  of 'must not look like decadent Western aggressor' because of ideology.

Yeh,that Ideology being use boilerplate,lots of big rivets and great big engines to shove it along.

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Oooh, Pepper... :Tasty: in Iron Man.

Down Boy,Down I say.:whip:

2 hours ago, Jessica said:

You only love her shoes because you don't have to wear them.

You tell 'em Jess.:nono:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

You have no idea what I can wear when the occasion demands... :blink2::lol:

From too much information Tony Baroni............:lol:

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Miggers said:

BTW,Forrus in't UK,I have horrid suspicions that this is the famous "Bondo" stuff that Bill(Navy Bird)and our Edward use on their trusty

works of art:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X3M+Acryl+red+glazing+putty.TRS0&_nkw=3M+Acryl+red+glazing+putty&_sacat=0

Not me - I use this stuff. The Bondo putty may be similar, but I've never tried it so I can't say for sure. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jessica said:

I married a woman exactly my height, so we happily never see high heels in our home -- on anyone's feet.

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I must say I'm enjoying your current Soviet period enormously Edward. The fact that many are lesser-known to me and frequently have a design ethic all of their own is fascinating. I wonder sometimes how much of that design ethos in the various bureaux was the result of engineering necessity, and how much the aircraft were an ideological construct of 'must not look like decadent Western aggressor' directive? I know that argument falters considerably when you look at Concordski or the Buran shuttle of course. (I won't even mention the Tu-4..) 

Being a child of Cold War One means that many of these Tupolevs and Sukhois etc. were just grainy low resolution photos in library books to me back in the 70s and 80s: now we're practically able to argue over the buckles on the seatbelts......

Resolute progress Eduardovich.

I don't think much of it was ideological -- the Su-9 and Su-11 look very much like the Lightning, (as does the MiG-21, to some extent), and the MiG-29 notoriously looks a lot like a Hornet, to the point where in his 1983 book THE THREAT: INSIDE THE SOVIET WAR MACHINE (very cheaply available these days, if you want a larf), Andrew Cockburn (dicey last name, also: father of actress Olivia Wilde, believe it or not!) accuses the US military of portraying it as looking like the F/A-18 (in all those SOVIET MILITARY POWER annuals with those cool Department of Defense "artist's impressions") so that they can justify purchasing the Hornet; I mean, obviously, the Russians would never build a plane that looked so different from the previous MiGs! 

I do think Russian aircraft tend to look a bit alike despite coming from the different bureaux in part because, as I understand it, TsAGI would tell them what the most efficient shape was for the desired performance of a type, and all the design submissions would roughly conform to this. Hence the MiG-21 and the Su-9 looking more or less alike, and latterly, the Su-27 and the MiG-29, or the Su-24 and the MiG-23. 

I know what you mean about the grainy reference photos -- I grew up on them. I loved that little added frisson of the mystery of it all. 

4 hours ago, Harley John said:

Given the perceived centralization of the Soviet state it always struck me as odd that they would let a number of bureaux survive especially at a time in the 70s/80s that consolidation of defence contractors and aircraft design was seen as the way forward in the West. 

Ah! Well, as you know, Stalin violently purged Soviet society's upper echelons (and was working up to killing "rootless cosmopolitans", IE Jews, when he died), and Khruschev more peacefully just exiled them from public life, which is actually a bit more ruthless than it sounds when you live somewhere without the western concept of private property: the men purged by Khruschev lost every perk their positions afforded to them, which was almost everything, including their homes and cars. Many of them were senior officers who'd fought in the Great Patriotic War, so they (understandably) felt that under ol' Nicky, the USSR was no longer "a land fit for heroes", and with so much spare time on their hands, they turned to their brethren who still did have power and kicked him out. Brezhnev, who followed, reigned until his death largely because he promised "stability of cadres", IE nobody would be purged, and there would be guaranteed employment...for anyone in a leadership position. So for the eighteen years he ran the USSR, corruption was largely unpunished, stagnation was considered desirable, and as long as the West was seemingly imploding during the 1970s, nobody in the USSR seemed to notice or much care. Or at least they couldn't talk about it. But it couldn't last forever. Before he died, Andropov tried to root out some of the corruption that had taken root, but ultimately it fell to Gorbachev to discover you could more easily destroy the system than reform it if you were a little shy about spilling blood. 

I'm pretty sure my father, who missed the Moon Landing because he was trying to find his shoe, has no idea who Nikita Khruschev is, but my mother does, and she loves this song:

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It's how you feel that's important, Tones. Go get 'em, Tiger.

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

BTW,Forrus in't UK,I have horrid suspicions that this is the famous "Bondo" stuff that Bill(Navy Bird)and our Edward use on their trusty

works of art:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X3M+Acryl+red+glazing+putty.TRS0&_nkw=3M+Acryl+red+glazing+putty&_sacat=0

I use that, but may switch to what Bill uses on the theory that buying Bill's tools will get me Bill's results.

• Like 9

All this talk about Gwyneth Paltrow, y'all know she's crazy right?  And I don't mean like a little crazy,  she's everybody eating processed meat should be arrested for child abuse and we should all go give birth in the river crazy. (Read her blog,  it gets much worse)   But I've been authorized to make a cultural  swap, if y'all like her so much we let y'all have her for , I don't know ...maybe  Hayley Atwell or....  maybe Karen Gillian?

Think about it.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Be loud be proud, brother!  :P

5 hours ago, Jessica said:

I married a short little southern woman.  I view those shoes with fear. There's a possible hospital visit coming on if those shoes come out the closet. :unsure:

• Like 5

No heels PC? Not even at the weekend?

5 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

All this talk about Gwyneth Paltrow, y'all know she's crazy right?

Now she is, but then, in her prime...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

I married a woman exactly my height, so we happily never see high heels in our home -- on anyone's feet.

At 5' 7 (and a half, the half is important mind)" I can't wear heels  because it makes the average (poor wee lad) male feel intimidated.

That, and the fact that I can run in them and, when push comes to shove, use them as lethal weapons. ;)

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Miggers said:

Can you use that on plastic though Bill or do you just use it on resin?

I know you can use the 3M stuff on plastic,it's not too aggresive.

I use it on styrene all the time, with no problems. It's the only putty I use - I have one of those 1 pound tubes that will last for several centuries.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

I'm still working on cleaning up the wing fences. 

30854825152_2ea64d3fad_h.jpg20161113_212101 by Edward IX, on Flickr

25335544129_7106b837ba_h.jpg20161113_212107 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I also added the intakes, and look at those gaps:

30882913621_5d35dd9e3d_h.jpg20161113_212045 by Edward IX, on Flickr

22792482738_48ad4351c5_h.jpg20161113_212053 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I clamped it a bit after these photos, so hopefully that will help, but that's still quite a gap between the intake and the fuselage. More filling, hurrah.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I use it on styrene all the time, with no problems. It's the only putty I use - I have one of those 1 pound tubes that will last for several centuries.

Cheers,

Bill

I'll be having a natter with our stores guy then.

Let's see if he can get one a tube at "works discount"prices;)

Ed,couldn't you have shimmed those intakes at the back a little?

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

All this talk about Gwyneth Paltrow, y'all know she's crazy right?  And I don't mean like a little crazy,  she's everybody eating processed meat should be arrested for child abuse and we should all go give birth in the river crazy. (Read her blog,  it gets much worse)   But I've been authorized to make a cultural  swap, if y'all like her so much we let y'all have her for , I don't know ...maybe  Hayley Atwell or....  maybe Karen Gillian?

Think about it.

Pond? Not a hope in hell, you may take our lives but you'll never take our Pond!

Mind the Gaps, I'm sure you'll succeed in besting them.

Edited by Harley John
Mistype!
  • Like 2

It's really coming together now PC. I like the overall look of this aircraft.

Good work on slowly conquering the wing fence gaps :thumbsup2:.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

So my solution to the gaps was some plastic card -- since the intakes are just sold walls anyway where they meet with the fuselage abaft the "neck", and since there was a gap in them anyway, which admitted light, this killed two birds with one stone. (A pause while we savour that lovely imagery. Aaaaah. Mmmmh.)

30991454895_60628f01c2_h.jpg20161114_192920 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Then some sanding to get the plasticard down a little, and some puttying of gaps:

25355792389_c8586e48ae_h.jpg20161114_194343 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30956379436_ebe7e4f052_h.jpg20161114_194353 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I think this kit is meant to be built in a very certain way: canopy open, flaps dropped or wings swept back, etc., and I'm not doing that, so it's more frustrating than it might be otherwise. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Did you tip the top of the intake forward by a couple of gnat's eyelashes while you were at it? If you didn't, just say you did - no one will ever notice. 

Uh...yes. Yes I did.

(In truth, with the fit being so indifferent, it would make sense to sand off the rails the intake mounts on so that you could angle it more easily. I was thinking of maybe sanding a little off the lip, myself.)

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The mind boggles. Luckily I don't need to do this for my 1980s era jet, but if I ever get around to doing the one the Turks did for, that's something to remember.

• Like 1

Totally out of context, of course, my spanner in the works today is:

On 10/11/2016 at 14:52, Procopius said:

Trumpeter needs to make a Great Leap Forward in kit design, and I care not how many bodies lay in its wake.

"Waa-aark, chook chook chook", [plop, roll, clunk].

:coat:

Actually, there is a serious message buried in the above, but I shall give you the intellectual fun, enjoyment, nay, and joy of teasing it out for yourself.

Back to normal programming...

:sheep: <-- not a chook