Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

Personally, I love her "The Last Living Rose".

And the grey, damp filthiness of ages,
And battered books and
Fog rolling down behind the mountains,
On the graveyards, and dead sea-captains.

So started on the canopy and cockpit some more (which technically means "started" is the wrong word):

30767446262_f99f494aeb_h.jpg20161109_135135 by Edward IX, on Flickr

If you look closely, you can see a slight misalignment of the canopy halves. Almost certainly because I bungled the positioning of the cockpit dividing wall.

30248121163_cbed286b16_h.jpg20161109_135713 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Worse from the side:

30883654715_6198d749d1_h.jpg20161109_135741 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Winston came by from his grandma's and ate lunch with me today:

30767450722_da859df338_h.jpg2016-11-09_02-02-55 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 14

Nice song, nice Winnie video, nice cockpit detailing (when did you do that?)

I can't honestly see how those canopy parts would fit PC - I don't think it's the divider, they just look like the wrong shape to me :(

Perhaps just a little off the back sir?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

Perhaps just a little off the back sir?

Right you were, Buffers, I sanded the starboard hood a bit and it fits not great, but much better. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miggers said:

Do you know Ed,I think you know more about us than we do ourselves,but by and large,what you've said there pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Don't know whether you've ever seen this series,but quintisentially,this is what being an Englishman(for me anyway)is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT7G6-F7CRY

Without wanting to come over all  as an angry Scot Nat at least one of the programmes in Penelopes series was shot in villages in the beautiful (one day a year) North East of Scotland so I  think it's about being British in the very best sense of the word. I'm also ignoring the insult made earlier, to our other national drink, the one made from girders, because frankly i can't stand the stuff unless as described above as a hangover cure with a roll and sausage as my weegie buddies would say.

Sorry about Winstons wee sore eye but I watched the apple of my eye, my 7 year old granddaughter, cut her knee, and prove that she is indeed her Grampa's heir, by tripping over nothing while her one year old brother happily launches himself of the coffee table and suffers not a bit - it's part of growing up and of lifes rich tapestry.

Oh and nice work on the canopy!

Oh and loved the washes in the wheel bays, what did you use?

And I'll take a Tonka every time.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Harley John said:

Oh and loved the washes in the wheel bays, what did you use?

I believe it's AK025 "Fuel Stains".

3 hours ago, Harley John said:

And I'll take a Tonka every time.

A gentleman's jet!

The camera has a hard time capturing it, but this is where we are after much sanding of the canopy -- a dangerous pastime: 

30257296704_d2dd3ff2f9_h.jpg20161109_213257 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Sort of flush, even!

30889387645_5b6b682774_h.jpg20161109_213245 by Edward IX, on Flickr

As an aside, this pernicious tendency to engineer canopies to only be built open needs to be nipped in the bud. Trumpeter needs to make a Great Leap Forward in kit design, and I care not how many bodies lay in its wake.

Current state of the kit, wing gloves assembled:

30800909571_47720a9390_h.jpg20161109_213235 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Wings go on soon.

• Like 14

Edwardian finesse on the glassware PC. That canopy's much better now.

I trust young Winston's monologue has been surreptitiously installed as the new ring tone on his mother's phone?:wicked:

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I trust young Winston's monologue has been surreptitiously installed as the new ring tone on his mother's phone?:wicked:

Sadly, Mrs. P's phone is pretty close to a tin can on a string, as she's an adherent of old Ned Ludd.

Here's progress now:

30811892812_77305fcf89_h.jpg20161111_232117 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Lots of little greeblies to add to the hull, it wears one down after a while. Also, if the positioning of these sprue gates were a child, the parents would be worriedly arguing about getting counselling for them.

30811891722_5892842bea_h.jpg20161111_232226 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The wing fences are particularly bad -- each is two parts, and the lower halves have locating pins, but no holes are open for them under the wing gloves, and the gloves go on a number of steps before the fences, so it's easy to miss. I did, anyway.

30928220745_191abb6749_h.jpg20161111_232158 by Edward IX, on Flickr

So lots of clean-up here at the end. 

It's been a rough week here -- lots of ugliness on social media right now, of course (way more than normal, as people who were promised or inferred they were promised some pretty specific things with regards to what could be done to their perceived enemies are exulting), and one of my coworkers, whose husband is from Mexico, plans to leave the country within a year. I think often these days of Pitt rolling up the map of Europe in despair after Austerlitz. But even the architect of Austerlitz had his Waterloo.

• Like 16

It's a plane! She really does look quite menacing doesn't she? :)

I sympathise with the 'rough week' PC and I think it will probably drone on and on I'm afraid if our recent vote is anything to go by. It can't be easy being at the forefront of the social media mob - giving people a voice, let alone a vote, seems like a good idea until you realise that a lot of people can't keep their mouths shut and their opinions are not just dubious, but downright barbaric... I suppose it's the price we pay for freedom and free speech... and people being used to the idea that, if they don't get what they think they want, they can just scweam and scweam and scweam.

You could take some pleasure in the fact that, as you trim off the unwanted sprue gates, locating pins and other unwanted excess and gently, but firmly, fill over the cracks the result will be a pretty perfect model and try to ignore the fact that, despite all the bluster, anger and downright rudeness, most people may have a say but they don't, really, have any power. At the end of the day the sun will still set and it will rise again in the morning, despite what fears the polls and media may try to instil.

Crikey, that was deep. Or perhaps not. I'm not sure I know nowadays... :shutup: 

I'm off the Telford soon so I will try to ignore the rants of the unwashed masses and enjoy the good bits in this world - as Monty Python says, "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition" ('Sliding Doors' quote, there you go, dark thoughts replaced with images of Gwyneth Paltrow, much better)

• Like 8

Gwyneth Paltrow? That brightened up my Saturday morning! The unwashed masses less so.

Checked my stash last night - I need more Soviet stuff. I've only got a Matchbox Fulcrum in the Gentleman's scale and not one Sukhoi! Which is weird because I love the Su-27.

• Like 2

Started fixing the wing fences:

22771326798_7a48f5169d_h.jpg20161112_231606 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And tape off:

30861786871_1db759160b_h.jpg20161112_231725 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Looking forward:

30648195330_35b0bef63b_h.jpg20161112_231747 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Test-fitted the intakes. Surprise! There's gonna be some gaps to fill there.

22 hours ago, CedB said:

('Sliding Doors' quote, there you go, dark thoughts replaced with images of Gwyneth Paltrow, much better)

I've never forgiven her for not really having a British accent. 

23 hours ago, CedB said:

try to ignore the fact that, despite all the bluster, anger and downright rudeness, most people may have a say but they don't, really, have any power.

Unfortunately, that's about to change here.

22 hours ago, Harley John said:

Checked my stash last night - I need more Soviet stuff. I've only got a Matchbox Fulcrum in the Gentleman's scale and not one Sukhoi! Which is weird because I love the Su-27.

Good news! There've only really been some good Flanker kits in the last two or three years anyway.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I've never forgiven her for not really having a British accent. 

know! You can appreciate my shock when, after first seeing her in the film, she was interviewed on TV and didn't have a soft, sexy accent at all!! BIG disappointment... second only, really, to Dick van Dyke.

• Like 10

Any more gaps on those parts, and your name's Bondo. James Bondo. Licensed to fill...(that's probably doomed this thread to a series of bad Bond-related puns now. Sorry)

I must say I'm enjoying your current Soviet period enormously Edward. The fact that many are lesser-known to me and frequently have a design ethic all of their own is fascinating. I wonder sometimes how much of that design ethos in the various bureaux was the result of engineering necessity, and how much the aircraft were an ideological construct of 'must not look like decadent Western aggressor' directive? I know that argument falters considerably when you look at Concordski or the Buran shuttle of course. (I won't even mention the Tu-4..) 

Being a child of Cold War One means that many of these Tupolevs and Sukhois etc. were just grainy low resolution photos in library books to me back in the 70s and 80s: now we're practically able to argue over the buckles on the seatbelts......

Resolute progress Eduardovich.

Tony

• Like 9

2 hours ago, CedB said:

know! You can appreciate my shock when, after first seeing her in the film, she was interviewed on TV and didn't have a soft, sexy accent at all!! BIG disappointment... second only, really, to Dick van Dyke.

I forgave her everything when she played "Pepper" in the Iron Man films! Damn there goes the blood pressure, time for a lie down in a darkened room me thinks! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Any more gaps on those parts, and your name's Bondo. James Bondo. Licensed to fill...(that's probably doomed this thread to a series of bad Bond-related puns now. Sorry)

I must say I'm enjoying your current Soviet period enormously Edward. The fact that many are lesser-known to me and frequently have a design ethic all of their own is fascinating. I wonder sometimes how much of that design ethos in the various bureaux was the result of engineering necessity, and how much the aircraft were an ideological construct of 'must not look like decadent Western aggressor' directive? I know that argument falters considerably when you look at Concordski or the Buran shuttle of course. (I won't even mention the Tu-4..) 

Being a child of Cold War One means that many of these Tupolevs and Sukhois etc. were just grainy low resolution photos in library books to me back in the 70s and 80s: now we're practically able to argue over the buckles on the seatbelts......

Resolute progress Eduardovich.

Tony

Well I'm shaken, not stirred by your comment regarding Bond-related puns!

You raise an interesting point about the design bureaux being forced down a line  of 'must not look like decadent Western aggressor' because of ideology. 

Given the perceived centralization of the Soviet state it always struck me as odd that they would let a number of bureaux survive especially at a time in the 70s/80s that consolidation of defence contractors and aircraft design was seen as the way forward in the West. 

But having been lucky to tour some of the museums and Great Patriotic War displays around Moscow back in the mid nineties I'm very glad they did.

• Like 4