Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

48 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'd also forgotten that Chicago is on the shore of lake Michigan, nice when the sun shines I suspect.

I've just watched 'Source Code' again and it looks really nice on that (apart from the exploding train, obviously) and then I listened to 'more or less' reviewing Trump's stats and, gulp, there seem to be lots of shootings... sounds a bit like a NW Australian beach then - looks beautiful but deadly?

(Waits for a typically articulate and pithy response from PC...)

• Like 3

The Fencer must be gigantic, as the Lightning is an aeroplane that's bigger than it looks, and it's dwarfed in your photo.

I've (barely) survived another spate of playing Rule the Waves and thought of you. The AI is pretty dang impressive, although it's hard to notice through all the anger it causes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

I've (barely) survived another spate of playing Rule the Waves and thought of you. The AI is pretty dang impressive, although it's hard to notice through all the anger it causes.

I just managed to reinstall Harpoon Classic, and it's eating up a lot of my time. 

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I've just watched 'Source Code' again and it looks really nice on that (apart from the exploding train, obviously) and then I listened to 'more or less' reviewing Trump's stats and, gulp, there seem to be lots of shootings... sounds a bit like a NW Australian beach then - looks beautiful but deadly?

(Waits for a typically articulate and pithy response from PC...)

Most of Chicago's crime is concentrated in the underfunded and underdeveloped South Side of the city. Chicago, despite being a northern city, is intensely segregated, and so this means that its black and latino population are disproportionate sufferers of the city's shooting crisis. Most crime is, in any case, intensely personal and bound up in the city's gang feuds and drug underworld. A lot of other people, wholly innocent (not that anything warrants summary execution) in that part of town get killed too, because the weapons in use are of poor quality and employed hastily by people who're hopped up on adrenaline. If you come to Chicago, you are very safe. The police devote more manpower to a tourist being mugged than they do to a local teenager getting shot. I wish that were a joke, but it's a literal truth. If you're from out of town, you'd have to work pretty hard to get into real danger in Chicago. 

I work in The Loop, which is the city's showpiece district, roughly analogous to the City of London proper. If you're a tourist in Chicago, you're almost certainly very close to my office, especially if you're on Michigan Avenue (four streets over from my office) or the bridges over the river, which you saw in the recent Nolan Batman films. The Chicago Hilton is two miles brisk walking away. I work in a building immediately next to one of the bridges. As a matter of fact, here's my office building:

4033500744_cd5963cc86_b.jpg

NB this photo is seven years old (I worked there back then, too) and another building's sprouted up on the left. Notably, my office takes a direct hit in Transformers 3, so in the film's continuity, such as it is, I'm almost certainly dead. (Don't watch the Transformers movies, though.)

I didn't always work in the Loop, and once about twelve years ago I walked through a drive-by shooting without ever realizing what was happening -- I thought it was fireworks. When I worked there, I was also stopped and frisked by the police a few times, a pretty unusual experience for a white American who grew up in an affluent suburb, but boy was I ever not affluent back then. Fun times. You learn a lot about yourself when your cheek is jammed into the hood of a police cruiser.

• Like 12

A series of minor disasters tonight. I alcladded the exhaust pipes and tail sections what needed it, then managed to 

1. Have the Alclad bottle fall off the airbrush (luckily it didn't break) splattering some parts with Pale Burnt Aluminium
  2. Lost the tube of the little cap that allows me to airbrush straight from the Alclad bottle into a cannister of lacquer thinner
  3. Which I had to pour into a spare cannister and saw open to retrieve said part
  4. Now quite loopy, I then knocked over a brand new open bottle of Blue Black enamel wash and spilled about 90% of it, all over some paintbrushes and other assorted tools.

I've beat a hasty retreat from the modelling grotto.

• Like 10

Also late to the show. A thoroughly entertaining show as always.

Its true, there is a 24 hour nature to it. This is South East Queensland checking in at 1.36pm local time :D .

I very much like your comment a few pages ago, on 2016. Not a direct quote but "an unwanted gift that just keeps on giving". Perfect; I'm in absolute agreement.

A split UK, split USA, much military spending on toys that will inevitably be used, many displaced people on our planet, it seems rather silly to mention that the year seemed to start with quite a number of deaths of quite talented artists/musicians/actors.

I'm glad we have HHGTTG people here, as 2016 has been making me feel very 'Marvin'.

Thank heavens we have builds like this and good banter to raise the spirits.

@Ascoteer I went to Bristol too, lucky (certainly not intelligent) enough to get an ESRC scholarship. Very good years there :) .  

Your last post post reminds me of an incident I had with Alclad black primer earlier this year PC. 

Those kind of 'serial spillages' are just horrendous and often seem in some way related to loose inserts in Alclad bottles.

I like the lines of the Fencer. It's coming along well. I'm quite surprised by how huge it is. Those engines must make quite a racket.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Spelling
  • Like 4

Just to return to the Hitchhikers for a mo, did anybody here watch the American remake? I only saw a few snippets of the trailers which was enough for me. The point of this post was to ask anyone who did if it was as bad as I perceived it was going to be, then I realised that anyone who could sit through all of it would at least say it wasn't bad making this post pointless, oh well it is very late.

13 minutes ago, spaddad said:

Just to return to the Hitchhikers for a mo, did anybody here watch the American remake? I only saw a few snippets of the trailers which was enough for me. The point of this post was to ask anyone who did if it was as bad as I perceived it was going to be, then I realised that anyone who could sit through all of it would at least say it wasn't bad making this post pointless, oh well it is very late.

I avoided it. Like De Gaulle and France, I have had a certain idea of Arthur Dent since I was a child. Also, for some reason, I always imagined Marvin to look like Maximillian from The Black Hole:

Black-Hole-2.jpg

I can't explain why, I just do.

Anyway, I crept back downstairs. The grotto has a bit of a smoky odour to it, thanks to the spilled wash.

30153260384_7d02d61e94_h.jpg20161104_230102 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'm getting the sense that the fit of the kit is rather precise -- the slight torsion on the nose has affected the fit elsewhere.There's a slight gap on one side only of the nose to fuse join:

30668003452_340b6db396_h.jpg20161104_230158 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And not a terrific fit now that paint is on at the rear:

30668003622_d5285d0685_h.jpg20161104_230151 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Before it almost clicked into place. So be careful with that when you build it, and you won't look like a dope like me.

Here's the burner can effect that caused me so much trouble for so little gain tonight:

30153259924_2365009e17_h.jpg20161104_230109 by Edward IX, on Flickr

23 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

much military spending on toys that will inevitably be used

Hardly any, really, but look on the bright side, if so, more front-line decal options!

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Hardly any, really, but look on the bright side, if so, more front-line decal options!

The government has ramped it up a bit this side of the Pacific PC:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-25/defence-white-paper-released-increased-spending/7198632

I know it's small in comparison with other nations. Just like so many other 'Western' countries (even though we're quite 'Southern' really), we have some very severe financial and societal issues here in Oz.

I have to trust the government know what they're doing with defence spending, but it's at a time we could really use some more funding for nurses, hospitals, the homeless problem, mental health, the police, fire services, aged care to name but a few. I haven't mentioned the environment as our government is happy to sit by and watch e.g. The Great Barrier Reef turn into an ugly brown dead horror. Of course, tourism is down. But tourism doesn't feed quite as much into the government coffer as oil, Uranium.

We even sell sand from the beaches.

Oh, and camels. I joke not, we sell camels to Arabia :D :

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-Saudi-Arabia-imports-sands-from-Australia-If-so-why

Brisbane and environs has military (all services) bases aplenty. If anything does kick off, I, like you, will be vapour before I know anything about it :boom: !

A good time for Australian submarine modelling anyway ;) .

All the best

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Syntax
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

No, it was worse. Much worse. In fact it was so bad it didn't happen. Much like the first 3 Star Wars Movies, the fans insist that it was an unfilm. It never happened and we shall never speak of it again.

• Like 7

On 30 October 2016 at 4:28 PM, 06/24 said:

And I can. Right, Soviet speed merchant, prepare to meet western tehcnology. Ahmed, take aim...

http://sandsmodelsshop.com/product/mujahideen-stinger-aa-missile-team/

Ahmed was apparently despatched yesterday. Once he arrives and has had his appointment with the paintbrush, he'll be travelling westwards across the Atlantic. Another illegal for DT to get his panties in a bunch about...

• Like 5

Ouch PC - I have those 'fumbly sessions' too and running away is the best option IMHO. That "burner can effect" looks really good to me though - good job :) 

I'm pleased to hear that Chicago is safe for you, despite the past friskings. It reminded me of a story my (slightly mad) cousin tells of the time he and his colleague, both working for Ford  in the UK, saw two NYPD chaps locked out of their car. They offered to 'break in' using a 'Ford entry method' and Bill, when asked what he would like as a thank you, replied that he'd like a photo of him being frisked over the bonnet of their cruiser. They obliged, of course, and it's one of his prized possessions. Mad. 

HHGG (I think that's their official abbreviation, hash tag, website etc) has shaped my life (don't talk to me about life) and DA, may he rest in peace, is one of my modern heroes. I agree that the US film is awful. Making Marvin look 'cute' is inexcusable. Death's too good for them. And 'Habitat for Humanity of Greater Greensboro' should watch out too - stealing the hhgg.org domain - risky!

As for defence spending, well, 'keeping people safe' is one of the tenants of our democracy (I think, along with health and, oh what's the other, oh yes, 'Education, Education, Education'). My Admiral friend always says it's the effectiveness, not the number, that matters but it's hard to feel proud of a couple of ships/aircraft/tanks just because they can fulfil the role of the hundreds of bits of metal they replaced. Cyberwar, that's the latest one. Great drama on the Radio about it recently - The Good Listener.

Nice joins by the way (which I'm sure you'll sort out) and gosh, she is BIG.

• Like 5

I must confess to a lingering sense of disappointment as to how little Chicago resembles the musical I saw up in London's West End once. The absence of bob-cuts, jazz-hands and men in sheer tops means yet another cultural illusion cruelly broken on the wheel of reality.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jessica said:

No, it was worse. Much worse. In fact it was so bad it didn't happen. Much like the first 3 Star Wars Movies, the fans insist that it was an unfilm. It never happened and we shall never speak of it again.

Did you watch it?  Did you watch all of it?

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I must confess to a lingering sense of disappointment as to how little Chicago resembles the musical I saw up in London's West End once. The absence of bob-cuts, jazz-hands and men in sheer tops means yet another cultural illusion cruelly broken on the wheel of reality.

Perhaps you were thinking of San Francisco?

Nice work on the cans PC. Subtle effects make a big difference to the overall.

• Like 2

I actually went out and bought the DVD of the HHGG film (it was cheap and on offer in TESCO honest guv'nor!).

It's pretty crap. No strike that, it's utter cac!

The only redeaming feature for me was the fact that Alan Rickman voiced Marvin.

On the Chicago front I've been there a couple of times. O'Hare is quite hard work in Albert! I heard a very funny thing on one of the ground frequencies between a Lufthansa jet and an El Al jet. I might even recount it in my Albert thread.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

8 hours ago, Col. said:

Perhaps you were thinking of San Francisco?

That would be Boystown.

11 hours ago, CedB said:

As for defence spending, well, 'keeping people safe' is one of the tenants of our democracy (I think, along with health and, oh what's the other, oh yes, 'Education, Education, Education'). My Admiral friend always says it's the effectiveness, not the number, that matters but it's hard to feel proud of a couple of ships/aircraft/tanks just because they can fulfil the role of the hundreds of bits of metal they replaced. Cyberwar, that's the latest one. Great drama on the Radio about it recently - The Good Listener.

i-mxzp9hG-2100x20000.jpg

Some filling done, atypically for me using lines of Tamiya tape as guides:

30797855005_5a8156310c_h.jpg20161105_133928 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30709159721_0ab0967057_h.jpg20161105_133942 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I also added some noseweight to the nose, before I forgot. 

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

Now quite loopy, I then knocked over a brand new open bottle of Blue Black enamel wash and spilled about 90% of it, all over some paintbrushes and other assorted tools.

Thank goodness it wasn't a bottle of the Black Night wash - that stuff's rarer than hen's teeth at the moment.

1 minute ago, Ascoteer said:

Wolts that curious pink looking filler then PC?

1 minute ago, 06/24 said:

Bondo?

06/24 is dead right; it's Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, for automotive use. Dries very quickly.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Procopius said:

06/24 is dead right; it's Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, for automotive use. Dries very quickly.

Exactly the same kind of putty as Squadron Green Stuff for a fraction of the price, in a bigger tube which lasts longer. I've used it for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessica said:

Exactly the same kind of putty as Squadron Green Stuff for a fraction of the price, in a bigger tube which lasts longer. I've used it for years.

It's quite a lovely colour in itself. In PC's photos above it seems to run the gamut from a delicate coral-pink pallor all the way to a virulent Trump-like hue. It's quite the Beauty and the Beast of the filler world in fact.

Tony

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I must confess to a lingering sense of disappointment as to how little Chicago resembles the musical I saw up in London's West End once.

I know Tony, no scantily dressed ladies... the CD version with Zeta Jones is a family favourite :Tasty:

article-2283948-18428B22000005DC-154_964

Lovely.

Nice filling PC, very neat. Must try that masking tip :)