Восток — дело тонкое (1/72 Trumpeter Su-24M FENCER-D)

You can't use the one in sixty rule with metres or Kms.

One Nautical Mile (6000ft) subtends one minute of arc at the Earth's centre on any Great Circle so Nautical Miles (and therefore feet) make a lot of sense for pilot navigation.

Additionally, using 1 in 60, then for a 3 degree approach path (which is just about ideal) you lose 300ft per mile. In order to achieve this your rate of descent in ft per minute will be 5x your groundspeed in Kts. Eg 150Kt approach will require 750 ft per minute rate of descent.

Working out drift and groundspeed in the circuit/pattern is easy with 1 in 60 using reported wind and runway direction.

None of the above can be done easily (in one's head) using stupid French measurements!

• Like 11

Just to support Debs rant reasoned reply I agree that metric / SI is silly.

I have a foot, I can measure a yard (nose to finger tips) and various other bits of my body are handy too (although I don't use them as a rule - boom boom).

For metric I have to know the definition first and then, for a metre for example, find a light source, a vacuum and a very precise clock. Ho hum.

When we first went from Imperial to SI I went to our local wood yard for some 12' lengths of wood. "Sorry, we have to sell you wood in metres now" and gave me a chitty for some 3m lengths. I took this to the shed where the 'helper' cut 0.658m off each 12' length, handed me the bits and said "You might as well have these". Madness

• Like 8

Madness and completely unnecessary. One EU red tape falsehood which really annoys me is the concept that we can't be sold the "metric equivalents " and of course reality is that we are - 4x2 sheets of plywood are still just that (within manufacturing tolerances) and are sold as 1220x610mm

Not doubting Ced's story but it was a classic example of Brits using the Eu to make life unnecessarily difficult for themselves 

mm are a much much more user friendly system for the very small measurements us modellers use, but above an inch either system works fine 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

mm are a much much more user friendly system for the very small measurements us modellers use, but above an inch either system works fine 

Kind of like the difference between 'classical' and quantum physics in terms of scale. I agree with yourself and Ced about a basis in the body for measurement for physical materials as being supremely useful. For computer applications no, it's a PITA and metric is preferable. Look at all that trouble NASA had a few years back with metric/imperial - they got so confused they hit a planet (Mars):banghead:

Sorry for blathering PC. Back to you.

Tony

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Kind of like the difference between 'classical' and quantum physics in terms of scale. I agree with yourself and Ced about a basis in the body for measurement for physical materials as being supremely useful. For computer applications no, it's a PITA and metric is preferable. Look at all that trouble NASA had a few years back with metric/imperial - they got so confused they hit a planet (Mars):banghead:

Only once we introduced metric. We put a man on the moon using Imperial measurements. 

R3LZZkK.gif

I'm running through my very meager reserves of US patriotism at a phenomenal rate right now, just in case I have to spend the next 4-8 years deeply, humiliatingly ashamed apres November 8.

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

I definitely agree with you on millimeters. Very useful! Above that, though, especially when one gets to kilometers, it just feels like being given prices in those stupendously devalued currencies from countries whose main export is exiled elected leaders. 

Just now, Tomoshenko said:

Nice start Mr P and a good choice in build (kind prefer the Mig-23 though) and music.

I have two of those from RV and an Artmodel MiG-27 in the stash, so possible sooner than later!

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Procopius said:

My teenaged years were pretty rotten, to be quite honest with you. Best not to dwell on my teenaged kicks -- most left bruises.

Ah, good ol' Feargal...

Though, to be fair, I always preferred Stiff Little Fingers.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice start PC.

I like the measured debate too. 

I don't know where you find the time to model,

I got about ten minutes at the weekend!

One day I'll get the time to do a WIP.

I used to have a lot of time to model, but now I just sleep about 4 hours a night, having opted for a slow death by exhaustion over a quick one from absolutely loathing my existence.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Only once we introduced metric. We put a man on the moon using Imperial measurements. 

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I'm running through my very meager reserves of US patriotism at a phenomenal rate right now, just in case I have to spend the next 4-8 years deeply, humiliatingly ashamed apres November 8.

I'm watching with enthralled fascination the car crash that is the current US Presidential race

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I used to have a lot of time to model, but now I just sleep about 4 hours a night, having opted for a slow death by exhaustion over a quick one from absolutely loathing my existence.

This is the most American statement I've read in a long time. 

.....sigh.......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

I'm watching with enthralled fascination the car crash that is the current US Presidential race

This year has been a waking nightmare for me, between the possible future breakup of the UK and the disastrous presidential election. 

• Like 2

Anyway, I got some more done on the Su-24, but first I had to take Winston trick-or-treating.

Winston, flying the best of all flags, albeit bashfully:

30666251056_89c148df99_h.jpg2016-10-31_05-32-24 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Trick or treating:

30666251756_4518b4f49f_h.jpg20161031_161012 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30703132845_c379ce3390_h.jpg20161031_161015 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30403013350_94afe32ae1_h.jpg20161031_161020 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30666252136_ba19fbef33_h.jpg20161031_161306 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30666252716_3720caceb7_h.jpg20161031_161310 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The pumpkin costume was not my first choice.

Then after dodging Mrs P and watching Heartbreak Ridge:

30068955243_f289f9a752_h.jpg20161031_195336 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I got down to work.

The main gear wells, pointlessly weathered, are in:

30068948963_f75271d156_h.jpg20161031_223755 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30614918911_546908fb36_h.jpg20161031_223803 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I think it made them too greenish-looking.

I painted the ejection seats Tamiya gunmetal with a drop of black in it -- will paint the cushions, belts, and add a wash later to flatten the silveriness some.

30068948783_88f56f1990_h.jpg20161031_223815 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I sprayed some primer (Mr Surfacer 1000 from a can, because I'm lazy) on the rear engine plate, so I can go over it with a metallic tomorrow.

30666250976_d918233a77_h.jpg20161031_223714 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Then started to test-fit the cockpit tub/refuelling probe port/nosewheel bay and got excited and glued them in:

30068951883_33bed543dd_h.jpg20161031_223738 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30703129975_54c82b266b_h.jpg20161031_223726 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30614920521_0531b6fd08_h.jpg20161031_223735 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Need to add the instrument panel, decals for the controls, the refueling probe, and the ejection seats before I close it up.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

What modellers need is a camera that can be held

in the teeth so both hands can hold bits up to it!

You could always use a go-pro, with a head/chest mount.

Nice work on the kit pc. Up to your usual standards. 

Matt

Trick or Treat - yay! I always ask the kids for a trick, which is probably why they don't come here anymore... cute pics of Winnie :)

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Then after dodging Mrs P and watching Heartbreak Ridge

Mrs P - noted. Becks on the floor - noted. Pile of clothes... hey, wait a minute... you were watching TV naked??!!

Nice tidy modelling :) I like the wheel wells and the internals - good job PC! 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

You can't use the one in sixty rule with metres or Kms.

One Nautical Mile (6000ft) subtends one minute of arc at the Earth's centre so Nautical Miles (and therefore feet) make a lot of snse for pilot navigation.

An enormous cloud just lifted from my head when I read your explanation of exactly what a nautical mile (Knot)  relates to.

Having spent the last 61 of my 66 years absorbing information from both the educational system, work and life in general, I am left wondering just why I never picked that simple fact up :wub:

Thanks!

• Like 2

In early for this on Mr. P.

I've always liked the look of this aircraft, hence why I plumped for it in your little informal poll.

Incidentally, I notice you have AKAN's thinners: Mr. Color (*shiver*) Levelling thinner also thins these brilliantly, as well as doing the same for Tamiya and, of course, Mr. Hobby colours (both types). Just thought I'd give you the heads up should you run out and need a versatile alternative.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

This encapsulates the difference in Ced and my world view, I saw the clothes and Mrs P and thought our lad was in trouble for not tidying his own washing away- nudity was not my first th:Pought 

:rofl: I blame the 'public speaking' training. You know, the old 'imagine the audience are naked' tip to calm your nerves. For me it just never wore off...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Don't forget the imminent WWIII.  ;)

That bothers me less. More frontline decal options! And if it goes nuclear, I won't even know before I'm vaporized -- I live next door to an army base, and just down the road a ways from Great Lakes

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

What modellers need is a camera that can be held

in the teeth so both hands can hold bits up to it!

6 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

You could always use a go-pro, with a head/chest mount.

If I say "shoot" while in the camera app, my phone will take a photo, so I can use it hands-limited, at least.

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Trick or Treat - yay! I always ask the kids for a trick, which is probably why they don't come here anymore... cute pics of Winnie :)

We ran out of candy (three times!!!) the first year we moved here, and they stole our pumpkins, the little darlings. 

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Mrs P - noted. Becks on the floor - noted. Pile of clothes... hey, wait a minute... you were watching TV naked??!!

I want nothing between me and Clint Eastwood, Ced. Nothing.

6 hours ago, 06/24 said:

This encapsulates the difference in Ced and my world view, I saw the clothes and Mrs P and thought our lad was in trouble for not tidying his own washing away- nudity was not my first th:Pought 

Ced's a bit of a saucy rogue, isn't he? It's one the many reasons we love him. And also why we don't disturb him when something's on the telly.

6 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

"The main gear wells, pointlessly weathered..."  But you know it's there!

The problem is, I think I'm liable to forget!

4 hours ago, Blastvader said:

Incidentally, I notice you have AKAN's thinners: Mr. Color (*shiver*) Levelling thinner also thins these brilliantly, as well as doing the same for Tamiya and, of course, Mr. Hobby colours (both types). Just thought I'd give you the heads up should you run out and need a versatile alternative.

Excellent! I have a large bottle of it, of course (dangerously close in size and shape to a half-liter bottle of cola, as I almost discovered the hard way once), and make look into that, as Akan's regular acrylics have a surprisingly weak grip at times...a little like Xtracrylics, which I gather also work well with Mr Color, the God-King of thinners.

• Like 6