1/144 a310 S7 Siberian Airlines

phil1

Bought Revells Balair CTA a310 kit (with the yellow wings) with the intention of doing it with the decals provided however I've noticed the kit comes with GE engines rather than PWs that its meant to have. I have decided to crack on and do it in alternative colours of siberian airlines

I've filled the windows anyway but i did note how small they looked, obviously another error. lots of excess plastic but the fuselage halves went together better than I thought with the exception of one small section on the base of the aircraft

IMG_20161023_215154_zpshupnvsbp.jpg

cockpit window nicely sealed also

IMG_20161023_215201_zpscdvagb2q.jpg

started with the wing section. Firstly i cut a hole just big enough to fit a stand rather than glue the stand directly onto the surface when completed. also as the plane is in flight i needed to seal the undercarriage doors, there is only pieces 2 thirds of the gap so the rest has to be filled. to do so i glued spare plastic to the inside to help with that process

IMG_20161023_214834_zpslfpijdh9.jpg

IMG_20161023_214900_zpswhdlyhnz.jpgIMG_20161023_214906_zpsux2pf3ok.jpg

fuselage problem area filled and sanded

IMG_20161023_215219_zpsrfnawvyv.jpg

cleaned up this area too before gluing to fuselage

IMG_20161025_223428_zpskwctj8sq.jpgIMG_20161025_223435_zpslkdzdwmd.jpg

now onto fitting the wings to the fuselage 

IMG_20161025_225433_zpsdc5zo3ot.jpgIMG_20161025_225446_zpsm4n42so6.jpg

plastic now cleaned up and polished (horizontal stabilizers not glued - just a lovely fit)

IMG_20161027_222419_zpsstnyontn.jpg

and now primed. Wing tip fences to be added later as well as stabs and engines

IMG_20161029_201103_zpsj6pwevhi.jpgIMG_20161029_201112_zpszirlfgj2.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TrojanThunder said:

Right into it Phil, So it will be finished tomorrow? :D

I have a couple of these. one will be a Canadian Air Force jet. I suppose I will have to check the engines they use.

hopefully mate!!! rapid progress i know, keeping this one simple, no dissecting flaps, slats, fuselage parts etc!! 

good colour scheme mate - i think your ok with GE engines 

• Like 1

One of my all time favourite aircraft and models. I bought the early Lufthansa "Detmold" box when it first came out and missed out on the BCal box a few years later ('88/ '89 ish) and have regretted it since! I keep an eye out on eBay for one but they're becoming quite expensive. I do have the Pas and Authentic Airliners resin kits and the 26decals BCal markings but it's not quite the same.

You've made a great start especially on that blasted clear windscreen. And the colour scheme couldn't be any more bright!

Please someone release an all new modern kit of the A310. I'd buy stacks.

I'll be following this one for sure.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
Autocorrect is annoying me.

7 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

I have a couple of these. one will be a Canadian Air Force jet. I suppose I will have to check the engines they use.

The Polaris uses GE Engines so what's in the kit will be fine. If you're really picky, the leading edge of the wing is moulded too far down the fuselage which results in the engines being too close to the ground if you build it gear down. It takes major surgery to correct.

• Like 1

Nice to see another project of yours on the go mate.

I've built some of those Revell A310s.They still must be around here in the RFI section somewhere

Here my Swissair version with Braz P&W engines.

2015-05-31%2017.02.44_zpsjoz5otom.jpg

I've reworked the nose section as this is slighly wrong on the kit.Cockpit windows should not be round at front.But thats an easy fix with putty and sanding paper.

Despite the kits age,its quite a good kit and builds up into a nice A310.

Looking forward to the finished product.Will look cool in S7 colours.:popcorn:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2016 at 10:17 PM, Alex1978 said:

Nice to see another project of yours on the go mate.

I've built some of those Revell A310s.They still must be around here in the RFI section somewhere

Here my Swissair version with Braz P&W engines.

2015-05-31%2017.02.44_zpsjoz5otom.jpg

I've reworked the nose section as this is slighly wrong on the kit.Cockpit windows should not be round at front.But thats an easy fix with putty and sanding paper.

Despite the kits age,its quite a good kit and builds up into a nice A310.

Looking forward to the finished product.Will look cool in S7 colours.:popcorn:

looks magnificent mate, you would never think that youd had to rework the nose as its flawless.  love the classic swissair scheme especially on the a310 and MD11. 

• 2 weeks later...

I cant get a decent photo of the wings on this particular aircraft for Siberian, it seems there are certain variation of the coroguard areas , there is one reference photo of an all white siberian a310 that has a very simple coroguard like the luftwaffe a310 which consists of a straight line to the wingtip fence. other examples have the coroguard area cover a much larger area of the wing to the edges of the spoilers and flaps. more research needed 

• 1 month later...

ok ive had a few problems with this one which has delayed progress. the main being that the windows that were filled in prior to any paint job mysteriously appeared again - this required re-filling, sanding then another paintjob. the coroguard area has been extended to a much larger area of the wing

IMG_20170126_162204_zpsbarotecg.jpg

got some transfers down now. the light in this shot does not give the actual green colour as it looks darker than reality. got a slight problem with the pas decals for the 'S7' logo....the red decal on the green doesnt work (pas decals are great if you are applying them to a lighter surface than he actual decal colour) . i have not been supplied a 'white background' decal set to go under these like you commonly do with pas. the 'S7' in the logo is meant to be white but that area on the decal is transparent. i may have to paint a white circle to the nearest size then apply

IMG_20170127_024645_zps1jcbdlcc.jpg

light isnt great on this one but thats one side nearly completed. the cockpit window is from a thai a330 kit, the windows spare from 767 decals as are the doors. 

• Like 4

ok ive had a few problems with this one which has delayed progress. the main being that the windows that were filled in prior to any paint job mysteriously appeared again - this required re-filling, sanding then another paintjob. the coroguard area has been extended to a much larger area of the wing

IMG_20170126_162204_zpsbarotecg.jpg

got some transfers down now. the light in this shot does not give the actual green colour as it looks darker than reality. got a slight problem with the pas decals for the 'S7' logo....the red decal on the green doesnt work (pas decals are great if you are applying them to a lighter surface than he actual decal colour) . i have not been supplied a 'white background' decal set to go under these like you commonly do with pas. the 'S7' in the logo is meant to be white but that area on the decal is transparent. i may have to paint a white circle to the nearest size then apply

IMG_20170127_024645_zps1jcbdlcc.jpg

light isnt great on this one but thats one side nearly completed. the cockpit window is from a thai a330 kit, the windows spare from 767 decals as are the doors. 

a few clearer images today

IMG_20170127_124400_zpsdzk0gl8k.jpgIMG_20170127_124415_zps1ofkqyaq.jpgIMG_20170127_124433_zpsyc2jkmvf.jpg

IMG_20170127_135554_zpsipchzgev.jpg

IMG_20170127_141054_zpsaksoo8wq.jpg

Edited by phil1
missed 2 pics
  • Like 4

Ive now lay down the rest of the decals on the fuselage with all thats missing the main logo on the tail. I'm going to need some large white decal paper as i havent got enough in my own stash. I was able to do the smaller logo however by drawing around a similar sized circle on decal paper from some spare. the tricky thing was cutting out a perfect circle with scissors and making sure there was no overlap.

Ive got a ton of transfers from the balair kit (weird yellow winged swiss air thing) but they arent worth using as i hate cluttering up a good paintjob and in terms of quality they are horrific. One of the doors is missing the handle and instructions as the decal decided to break into 20 tiny pieces, so I'll have to remove the ones on the other doors and simplify them

Stabs are fited but not glued but are a very good fit as they wont come off without encouragement

IMG_20170130_153606_zpsmsxk851s.jpg

ive just noticed the alclad finish on the wing here has thinned so that will need a top up

IMG_20170130_153622_zpsmkvwiyis.jpg

forward door now considerably simplified - i dont have any spare airbus doors

IMG_20170130_153636_zpsu3xipt9c.jpgIMG_20170130_153747_zpsncadwldz.jpgIMG_20170130_153933_zpsv1genjag.jpgIMG_20170130_153821_zpsadjmoveg.jpg

unfortunately ive made an utter mess of the engines trying strip paint off from a previous botched attempt so I will be ordering some resin GEs from hannants (lets be honest they will look better anyway)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Engines came from hannants, they are far better than what came out the kit. bought some dull aluminium and exhaust manifold from alclad, the exhaust manifold was too dark so i sprayed over with the dull aluminium which give a more pleasing result. 

IMG_20170222_140512_zpsielwy9to.jpg

• Like 2

Another masterpiece mate.Vety nice to see another Revell A310.They are a quite rare sight here on BM.

Question; What kind of display stands are these ? Self made or can they be bought ? They look very nice

• Like 1

Always nice to see one of your airliners Phil and this is no exception

Have you considered using the Authentic Airliners Cockpit and cabin window decals? I think they would look outstanding on one of your builds and would add that extra touch of realism to them

Looking forward to your next build

Regards,

Simon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Another masterpiece mate.Vety nice to see another Revell A310.They are a quite rare sight here on BM.

Question; What kind of display stands are these ? Self made or can they be bought ? They look very nice

thank you alex, always appreciate your comments. The display stands are by Academy and can by found on ebay as 'Academy Aero Display stand', but they are getting harder to get hold of these days-particularly the 'clear' ones which are far more presentable than the black ones. I'm a bit OCD with their appearence so i've got to have every airliner with the same stand!

8 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Always nice to see one of your airliners Phil and this is no exception

Have you considered using the Authentic Airliners Cockpit and cabin window decals? I think they would look outstanding on one of your builds and would add that extra touch of realism to them

Looking forward to your next build

Regards,

Simon

thanks simon! i have had a look at them before and have considered using them, some of my more recent builds have been from PAS decals featuring similar 3-D windows. This build was pretty much a salvage job with bits and pieces (mainly the decals) borrowed from all over. I love the look of some of his kits though, they are expensive but who can argue when you see the level of detail close up and in particular how the parts fit together