352nd FG - Blue Nosed B...irds of Bodney

Back when we acquired Colourcoats I found myself having a 4 way chat with 3 members of the 352nd Fighter Group association, specifically about the colours of blue used on the aircraft.

There were areas where views varied and some where they were in agreement. They agreed that after late 1944 both squadrons seemed to have standardised on the same very dark blue. Earlier in the war, the 486th FS painter just mixed something to his own taste which was different every time, and often a very light blue (but not a blue-grey). The 487th FS painter was much more methodical and consistent, but it was still a lighter blue.

There was some discussion that the British colour MAP Deep Sky was used, but this isn't fully accepted.

An aluminium model was built by George Nunemacher using the squadron paint. The model survives and the association have dubbed this colour "Nunemacher Blue". Kermit Weeks' P-51D "Cripes A'Mighty 3rd" is matched to this model and the association are in agreement that this is typical of mid-war 487th Fighter Squadron blue. I have had the briefest of exchanges with Kermit on his Facebook page about his blue. He's a very busy man but I asked if I could get close to his aircraft and he responded suggesting I matched to his aircraft. I'm hoping to get to Florida next July and will visit Fantasy of Flight and mail ahead to see if I can get access to it.

Of more immediate interest, the association told me of another warbird they believe is correct, but for the late war colour. A man by the name of Grady Lisk chimed in. It turns out he's had worked on this Mustang, painted as Cripes A'Mighty (the 4th / last - the one George Preddy was killed in on Christmas Day 1944 by "friendly fire"). Mr Lisk had the leftover paint used on the aircraft and has kindly sent me a sample. I have compared this to MAP Deep Sky out of interest and it's pretty close to be honest, so I think that RAF Deep Sky theory might not be so far-fetched if indeed this sample is typical of late 1944 onwards blue used by both the 486th and 487th FS, as the 352nd FG Association believe.

20161027_162259_zpspdzdt7mk.jpg

Colourcoats doesn't presently have MAP Deep Sky in the range. To be honest, I'm not sure what use it is generally. I'm tempted due to a personal fondness of the Blue Nosers to make a one-off batch of this colour.

• Like 2

Interesting post Jamie; it could be the picture but the sample looks a pretty good match for Dark Mediterranean Blue as well?

Anyway you know me, if you make up a batch I'll have to buy one 'just in case' :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I think the Light Med Blue and Sea Green was noted as the counter-shading on the fuselage sides and lower wings to the Dark Med Blue and Deep Sea Green on the upper surfaces... that's not to say the scheme isn't mince of course :lol: 

Anyway sorry for the OT mate, keep me posted if you do get a batch mixed...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Ah that may have been it!

I've got around 30 litres of paint just arrived in trade size cans, and a trade order for the US needing various quantities of all of them so am going to park this for a wee while until I've caught up with restocking out-of-stock stuff and get this trade one out.

After that, I'll get back to pontificating about new stuff again!

• Like 2

That's interesting. I recently completed the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D as " Moonbeam McSwine "  which was Capt. William Whisner's airplane, and I used my own mix of Humbrol No.'s 14 and 15, and as it's turned out the colour is almost identical to your colour chip, so that was a bit of luck !    :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

There were areas where views varied and some where they were in agreement. They agreed that after late 1944 both squadrons seemed to have standardised on the same very dark blue. Earlier in the war, the 486th FS painter just mixed f

Colourcoats doesn't presently have MAP Deep Sky in the range. To be honest, I'm not sure what use it is generally. I'm tempted due to a personal fondness of the Blue Nosers to make a one-off batch of this colour.

Hi James

not much AFAIK, the Mosquito XV high altitude (4 built) and according to  some, the undersides of the Fortress I (B-17C in RAF  service), and perhaps some other high  altitude types...

But, if the forthcoming Airfix Mustang  carries on from the P-40, then 325nd connection maybe enough to  make it worthwhile.

HTH

• Like 1

I might be wrong, but that paint sample in the attached photo above  looks like an almost exact match for the color chip labeled FS15052, which I believe is also known as Blue Angels Blue.

Mike

Then there's this...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1254838232/Blue+color+for+352nd+FG+&quot%3BThe+blue+nosed+sweethearts+from+Bodney&quot%3B

Edited by 72modeler
link added
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike. FS35056 actually fits the written descriptions better than Deep Sky does. It was described in the correspondence I have as having a distinct purple caste, which 35056 has and Deep Sky doesn't. Sam Sox was a name that rang a bell. It was with his name that the Deep Sky was mentioned.

Amongst the correspondence is a good number of photographs too which, whilst we all know are dangerous, do seem to hint at a violet quality.

I'll maybe compare 15056 and 35056 just for appearance. The Bodney blue was agreed to be a matt paint, although a small number of aircraft had wax applied to give some sheen to it. Being usable for either these Mustangs or the Blue Angels would make it more likely to pay for itself!

Apparently there has been some very close examination of paint samples found at Bodney - bits and pieces of painted woodwork and plaster from inside buildings. These match Deep Sky, and apparently discussions with veterans from the 352 give some reinforcement to this, as they report the paint came out of cans, ready mixed, and supplied via the MAP in the UK.