Protocol, Gonk & Mouse droids

The main painting is done now so, after a bit of detail painting, it'll be on to the weathering. I've used a more faded colour for the upper half of the body as that's the area that would be most exposed to the sun

30426880894_716ef99749_b.jpg

31104235902_3ebf7bc261_b.jpg

After Sarge's suggestion of painting the top orange, I decided to add a faded orange circle. I might add a few more orange markings here and there to break the green up

31248126565_9c96ff3832_b.jpg

And the last thing to finish was the power outlet box on the back, which I've done in a different green (AMMO Russian Cockpit Turquoise) so it looks more like a retrofitted item

30426873344_bef8deff86_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 9

Thanks guys

On 11/26/2016 at 13:05, Hunter Rose said:

Nice! Seeing the red and green together with the orange spot it gives me an almost boba fett feel. Looks good :)

I hadn't really seen that until you pointed it out but he does have a Fett-ish look to him.

Some weathering has happened. Not much, but it's a start, and hopefully he's not looking quite so vibrant now. I picked out a few details, then added a few layers of grime, starting with acrylics then moving on to enamel washes. The upper body has also had a dirty brown wash/filter over the whole surface, which is why it looks a bit tonally different to the lower body. the rest will get the same wash to tie it all in

31180330282_37cc0929c0_b.jpg

30502174594_54183dc297_b.jpg

30502167164_0d086dbddb_b.jpg

30955850420_99bb7bacb5_b.jpg

31209375631_443a45615c_b.jpg

31288044186_70c1be4692_b.jpg

30516743273_c48f3ddf3f_b.jpg

I'll get the lower body dirtied up next then start with some oil weathering.

Andy

• Like 10

Just now, AndyRM101 said:

he does have a Fett-ish look to him.

Just now, Mike said:

That droid's got a... a... spigot! :shocked:

Oh dear, surrounded by closet droid fetishists. Abandon thread!

:yikes:

I like the weathering, I'm keen to see what happens with the oils - at the moment it feels like the feet might be a hue too far but you generally have a better idea where you're going than I do!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

OMFG ! To begin with I thought that was a bold choice with a green and red Gonk, but this just takes it to a whole new level ! Lesson : Never doubt Andy :-)

Love to know what you used to get the rusty panel look.

And where did you get that "spigot" ? I want one for mine too ! :-) I'm in Amsterdam on the weekend, although I don't think I'm game enough to ask where I could get one of those.....

• Like 1

totally knocked it out of the park Andy, 

i just love how different and yet so right this looks.

i am sooo gonna borrow some of your idea when i get around to throwing glue and paint at mine..:D

• Like 1

Outstanding!  :worthy:

That has to be some of your finest weathering yet.....The grubby marks around the sockets and the streaks around the spigot are superbly done, absolutely magnificent.  :clap2:

On 29/11/2016 at 11:15 PM, Will Vale said:

I like the weathering, I'm keen to see what happens with the oils - at the moment it feels like the feet might be a hue too far but you generally have a better idea where you're going than I do!

That's what I thought about the other green.....But now it looks amazing!  :o

I was very surprised to discover that oils hadn't been used yet, they were my first thought when I looked at the streaking.....I'd really like to know how it was actually done?  :hmmm:

• Like 1

Such a pleasure to see both your work and your clear explanations of your techniques and methods.

Thank you!

I am always invigorated and enthused by your models, no matter what the subject.  They make me want to get back to the workbench and build something. :D 

I am so envious of your skill in working with colour schemes, just love em to bits.

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks guys. An update will be forthcoming, just as soon as I get around to actually doing something :whistle:

On 11/29/2016 at 23:15, Will Vale said:

at the moment it feels like the feet might be a hue too far but you generally have a better idea where you're going than I do!

I refute that claim Mr. Vale. I generally have absolutely no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing. Just blindly jump in and hope for the best has always been my doctrine :P

On 12/1/2016 at 08:46, Portaler said:

Love to know what you used to get the rusty panel look.

And where did you get that "spigot" ? I want one for mine too ! :-) I'm in Amsterdam on the weekend, although I don't think I'm game enough to ask where I could get one of those.....

The rusty panel was just painted in a dark brown, then had a few washes with Lifecolor rust paints. I finished it off with a very light dry-brush with dark silver to highlight the rivets and panel edges.

The spigot was left over from a BTR-60 I built earlier in the year. It had a full interior included but I didn't use any of it and, as a result, I've got lots of little greebly bits left over which have turned up on various builds this year. The extra detail parts on the control panel on his 'face' are from the same kit. I think the spigot was some kind of interior air duct, probably part of the NBC filters.

On 12/2/2016 at 01:13, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I was very surprised to discover that oils hadn't been used yet, they were my first thought when I looked at the streaking.....I'd really like to know how it was actually done?  :hmmm:

The streaking that's there is a preliminary step before I add any oils. It was all airbrushed with heavily thinned Tamiya black, and slowly built up in light passes. I sometimes struggle to get oil streaks blended to a degree I'm happy with. I either blend them too much or they're too streaky and harsh. I thought an airbrushed undercoat would help soften the oil streaks without me having to over blend them, if that makes sense.

Andy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Portaler said:

Andy. Any reason you did the dark streaks with an airbrush and not with Tamiya weathering pastels ? Like Black Soot ? Not sure if you have those ? I think it's Set B with Soot. 

Well, mainly because I don't have any :D. I generally prefer to use an airbrush when I'm doing basic shading, as painting the effects is a bit more permanent, and it's easier to go over it with other weathering materials.

Speaking of which, I've gone over some of the previous airbrushed streaking with oils, and added some more general grime and dirt. He's also had a sandy wash around the legs and on the rim of the mid section. I'll enhance the dusty look with a misted over-spray of acrylic

31471295775_e730814280_b.jpg

31355750451_7301e768a2_b.jpg

31433983246_4fd38155b1_b.jpg

31100073770_10350cccce_b.jpg

31100058830_3b235b3610_b.jpg

31471236955_c74b06d51a_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 7