880 Squadron Sea Hurricane, operation 'Pedestal'

iang

I've amassed over the years a fairly large number of original photos of Indomitable during Pedestal and have now scanned most of them. Here are two images of what I assume is the same incident, cropped from larger photos of Indomitable just before, or during, operation Pedestal.

It looks like 880:7G to me, though 7C is a possibility? If it is 7G, then it is Z4849. The aircraft doesn't have Pedestal identification markings, so it is possible that the incident is late July, but certainly before August 8. The engine of the aircraft appears to be missing, so perhaps an attempt to dispose of a badly damaged aircraft that then got hung up?

img030_zpsniotfgo4.jpg

880_7G_zpsm0ywffhl.png

The original of the photo that this image has been cropped from shows three Sea Hurricanes on the outriggers at this time: aft, from stern to bow, are 800:M, 880:7Z,  forward 880:7M.

We have discussed a photo of a Sea Hurricane going over the side. Could this be the same incident?

• Like 4

My first impression was 7G Ian but it is very hard to tell for sure isn`t it! Looks as though the aircraft has been cannibalised for spares including fuselage panels, engine nacelles, canopy, escape hatch and outer wings. 

Good luck mate,

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

These two pictures came to my mind as right now I am reading "Sea Flight".

Hugh Popham mentions an incident involving the CO's Sea Hurricane being blown away from the lift and into Indomitable's catwalk. Lt. Popham had to supervise the recovery and "rebuild" (his word) of the aircraft.

However, if this is the one, the period would be November 1941, when 800 Sqn. still had Fulmars.

I'd agree the aircraft might be '7G' and, if so, in November 1941 Z4849 had just replaced Z7151 as '7G'. Z7151 was damaged when flown by the CO, Lt. Cdr. Judd.

Claudio

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ClaudioN said:

These two pictures came to my mind as right now I am reading "Sea Flight".

Hugh Popham mentions an incident involving the CO's Sea Hurricane being blown away from the lift and into Indomitable's catwalk. Lt. Popham had to supervise the recovery and "rebuild" (his word) of the aircraft.

However, if this is the one, the period would be November 1941, when 800 Sqn. still had Fulmars.

I'd agree the aircraft might be '7G' and, if so, in November 1941 Z4849 had just replaced Z7151 as '7G'. Z7151 was damaged when flown by the CO, Lt. Cdr. Judd.

Claudio

The photo can't be November 1941, as Indomitable was in an early Admiralty disruptive pattern then. This photo must post-date operation 'Ironclad', as the camouflage scheme in the photo was applied after that date (May or June 1942).

Edited by iang
  • Thanks 1