• Nordic countries
    • Matchbox II
    • Radial Engines Rock
    • The Duel
    • Racing
    • Dassault Mirage
    • None in this group

This poll is closed to new votes

It's tricky, from my own point of interest it looks like some of the group builds on offer could be amalgamated. As I only build WW2 aircraft the Coastal Command and flying boat group builds will be pretty much a repeat of the same thing for me. All the jet based group builds I wouldn't even look at, unless I were to stumble over a Matchbox jet kit that is and even then probably not.

Maybe the group builds could all last a year and we vote at the end of the year, that way I for one could fit things in when I had time. I wanted to do a good number of things for the Med group build but after waiting until August for it to start I had other things on my plate and couldn't start building anything until now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

My 10 cents (as it seems 2 cents is now worthless ahem) as a strickly wingy builder, perhaps we could have a fixed quota on the GB slots, and then vote within that quota i.e

1 campaign build a year (exceptions would be ones we 'have' to have like the 5 year BoB anniversary) which is inclusive

2. Aircraft only like the mirage/DH  etc

3&4. Themed builds like Martime/Coastal as an example which will be inclusive, by definition and ones like the matchbox one

5. One that specifically catters for non wingy types lets say like as an idea 'Tanks of the Western front' 

6. Wildcard builds, non injection moulded, less than a tenner etc that can be inclusive 

what do we think? 

you may have a point there with a couple of these!

Campaign GB's are generally pretty inclusive, ok some may not have ships in them but generally they are. Maybe we could have just one spot reserved for a Campaign build? The last three we have had have been huge, 80's NATO, The Great Patriotic War, and the current MTO which is the biggest I've seen! Just have a vote for you favourite Campaign each year, least the AFV guys & girls know they'll have at least one guarantied GB each year.

Plus the Non-Injection, WhaIf, "less than a tenner", etc are still the most non-exclusive GB's there are, basically you can build whatever bring, and boy do some members bring some unusual stuff! It'd be nice if there was a "wild card" entry but unfortunately these sort of GB's never attract the votes and just picking one may upset quite a few who's choice just misses out in the vote so a Wild card can go in.

It's a difficult choice MOD's and Admin staff have to go though the keep the general rabble of cats happy!! But it's great we can discuss this so everyone has their say this helps Staff get a feeling of where to take GB's in the future.

As Enzo mentioned, after the voting has finished for next year a thread needs to be started where we ALLl can discuss and help plan the future of GB's. As we now can all see they're only just going to get bigger, which for me is awesome  :yahoo: .....not so much for my shelving/space issues though!! :doh:

The banana counting seems to be taking longer......so on the weekend I'll do another tally. Now if the poll could auto sort itself from high to low life would be soooo much simpler! 

• Like 1

While there is an aircraft bias, it looks as though more than half of next year's group builds will be open to other genres

Looking at the current possible group builds ...

The top 9:

Made In Britain - The Sequel 59
Flying Boats and Float Planes 54
Dassault Mirage 53
70s NATO v Warsaw Pact 52
Radial Engines Rock 49
From Russia with Love 49
Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command 48
De Havilland 48
Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers 44

From the titles, four (or just under 50%) of these are aircraft only group builds.  There may be an argument for merging Flying Boats and Maritime Patrol GBs

Bubbling under are:

Matchbox II 43
Dawn of the Jet Age 41
Nightfighter II 39
Nordic countries 36
What If IV 34
Nose art 33
Non-injection Moulded II - Return of the Blob 33
Big Screen, Little Screen

Of these, two are aircraft only.  I may be mistaken, but I'm assuming early Jet Age is aircraft only.  Nose art may be very aircraft focused, but I am aware of one Sherman with an interesting nose job.

Only one doubtful GB is clearly aicraft only

South East Asian Campaign of WW2 31
"Winkle" Brown's Aircraft 27
The Duel 26
Spanish Civil War 26
Silver and Gold - NMF 25
ANZAC 24
Afghanistan 23
Racing 21

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

Trickyrich, copy/paste all the data into a spreadsheet (or do it manually if required), then sort on number of votes. Simples.

arrr I've done that already (on different computers...I just keep forgetting to transfer the files!!!) and it's up to date, I will post it every so often just so I don't clog up this thread.

There's no real changes to the top group, very a wee bit of position shuffling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

While there is an aircraft bias, it looks as though more than half of next year's group builds will be open to other genres

Looking at the current possible group builds ...

The top 9:

Made In Britain - The Sequel 59
Flying Boats and Float Planes 54
Dassault Mirage 53
70s NATO v Warsaw Pact 52
Radial Engines Rock 49
From Russia with Love 49
Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command 48
De Havilland 48
Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers 44

From the titles, four (or just under 50%) of these are aircraft only group builds.  There may be an argument for merging Flying Boats and Maritime Patrol GBs

Actually, the Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command could be expanded to include ships (in fact, I'm sure that's the intention of that GB's hosts), so of the top 9, a third are exclusively aircraft.

Merging the Flying Boats and Float Planes build with the Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command assumes that flying boats and float planes are only used for maritime patrol, they're not!

Country (such as the French Fancy GB I co-hosted in 2015),or campaign (such as the current MTO), GB's are by far and away the most inclusive GBs and come up with some fantastic subjects.  Unfortunately, as can be seen from the lists provided by Robert, they don't always get the support they need (Nordic Nations is on it's 2nd bite of the cherry, SEA, Spanish Civil War and Afghanistan are trailing behind).

Edited by Wez
extra words
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Rich

Thank you for the list but seriuously how can you be happy whit that  ''Trump wins'' ?

Patrice

Who are you to make such an assertion?

A Frenchman viewing the US elections through the lens of the French media, and all the soup they usually serve?

Do you really believe we've lessons to give in electing a président?

Please keep that kind of opinion to yourself, leave the US elections to the US citizens, and read the topic's title:

Group build poll 2017

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

Who are you to make such an assertion?

A Frenchman viewing the US elections through the lens of the French media, and all the soup they usually serve?

Do you really believe we've lessons to give in electing a président?

Please keep that kind of opinion to yourself, leave the US elections to the US citizens, and read the topic's title:

Group build poll 2017

Good morning Antoine

Please read carefully Trickyrich's comments here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011135-group-build-poll-2017/&page=5

And yes lets talk about plastic moddels and go back to the poll

Have a nice day

Patrice

I have been working on a computerised Group Build generator with a built in random bias illiminator .

After 3 months of number crunching useing all info from Britmodeller membership profiles it has released the following sugestions . Please understand that these are early prototype sugestions and i may need to tweek the software .

1. Whats under your bed

2. A Vignette must contain . Vinaigrette

3 .What has been and what is still to come .( not to include the Airfix garden Bird kits for some reason )

Alistair

• Like 5

I am going to start a new thread for proposals on the future of groupbuilds.  Can we all please post discussions on that topic in the new thread?  By all means repeat your proposals and arguments there.

• Like 3

there should be animated GIF's!!!

........say when two GB's are neck and neck there's a sword fight happening between them, or where one leads the other by just one vote the lagging one appears to chasing it with a pitchfork,.....or the leading GB could be doing a Usain Bolt victory pose!!  

arrr may be I should have a wee lie down now!

Enzo just to clarify something..... you mentioned 9 GB for next year does that include or exclude the KUTA & Blitz Build GB's???? 

:poppy: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Enzo just to clarify something..... you mentioned 9 GB for next year does that include or exclude the KUTA & Blitz Build GB's???? 

The man said in his post in page 4 of this thread at 2028 (I do miss the post numbering of the old forum), KUTA and the Blitz Build GB's are permanent fixtures.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

arrr thanks for that for that with my internet connect out here things take forever to load so searching for stuff is hard. Plus for some reason I'm finding this new forum software is even slower when I'm away!

6 minutes ago, JackG said:

Any idea which GB will be first on the Calendar - the one with most votes?

Once all the votes are in, I enter the cat herding stage.  The various hosts have a bit of a bunfight while they vie for the different slots.  Some may ask for dates which suit their GB subject.  For example, a Battle of Britain GB would probably run during august and September. 

So we can't say at this point which GB will be first.  That's why I give the warning...   

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The first GB for 2017 will start very soon after the poll concludes - on Saturday 31 December.  

Oh what glorious sport! Half the first GB sloshed on New Year's drinks, the other half shaking with DTs or the trauma of family visits...:lol:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Do you still have all your fingers?:lol:

I used to be an armourer when I was in the RAF.  I'm proud (and thankful )  to say that, yes...  I still have all my fingers! :thumbsup:  

• Like 1