• Matchbox II
    • Radial Engines Rock
    • The Duel
    • Racing
    • Dassault Mirage
    • None in this group

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I agree with you 100% on that! Gosh I know its really way too early to think about GB's for 2018, but as so often the case........

We have tried for a "Rising Sun/Japanese GB" (from memory) for 2016, that didn't make it, this year the SEA GB for 2017, again won't make it! So may be this time we have to think REALLY BIG!!!

With the exception of "From Russia with Love" all my votes are outside the top nine - and no this isn't strategic voting as that is where my interests are and I would have loved to see some more votes for Nightfighters II, SAE, ANZAC, Dawn of Jet Age, Spanish Civil War and Nordic countries. But on the other hand, whichever GB makes it to the top 9, I should be able to find some kits in my stash :) (with the exception of Matchbox as I have not one Matchbox kit in my stash of over 1000 kits :( - shame on me)

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I think once the voting is done and dusted for 2017 GB's I'll propose a "Pacific Conflict GB" to cover the main Pacific campaigns plus include the SEA campaigns as well. This would be a huge GB that would basically everyone to join in.

I don't know, but don't we start to loose the essence of GBs? Make the topic as wide reaching as possible to ensure a place in the top nine.

Why not having seven "World conflict GBs", one "Intergalactic conflict GB" so that the Sci-Fi modellers can participate and one "No conflict GB" for people building non military related models - that should make everyone happy.

But on second thoughts, why bother with GBs at all and just participate in the "Work in progress forum".

Yes I know, I contradict myself as I too suggested such a wide reaching GB, but at the time more as a "balance" to another Made in Britain GB - but then, the Made in Britain GB looks to be an all time favorite.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk

I agree with a lot of what you have said but in some ways it looks like we have to make these huge campaign style GB's just to get some of the themes in! I mean I thought it would have been a no-brainer that SEA GB or the "Rising Sun/Japanese" GB (maybe the ANZAC GB) would gone through as they cover a huge range of subjects and pretty much you can build whatever you like.

But look what happens.....they barely make it off the bottom of the list while the number one choice, as well as 3 of the top 4 GB are of very exclusive subject matter! I'm not having a dig at these either, so people no need to jump on the keyboards over that sentence! I'm building a Mirage 2000C for that one!

I think you're wrong though in saying you lose the essence of a GB if it gets to big. For a GB to be great it doesn't need to be small and inclusive, the essence of a GB is brought together by the people who participate in it so size really isn't an issue.......for a change this time! :D

We have had a similar problem a few GB's back, where there was a VacForm GB proposed and I also proposed a Resin GB, they got nowhere even though they were very inclusive GB's. So the next year we joined forces and it went through easily, and was a very successful GB!

My point is that is some cases we may have to join two GB subjects into one to secure the numbers. You could just go silly and say have a "WWII GB" but while that sort of defeats the GB idea even it is still a valid one! 

Just doing a WIP may suit some members and allow them to build their favourite subjects, but you're just building it by yourself and there's no motivation to finish it or really put extra effort into it, I know for some it their thing. The great thing with a GB is it's a chance for everyone to get together an build subjects they're interested in and learn things from each other and for the most part enjoy building models. For me I wouldn't have been bother to be here if it wasn't for the GB's (the 1st WhatIf GB got me interested GB"s and joining this site) and I think that may be the same for quite a lot of the member who participate as well. I get a lot out of the experience and again I think that goes for most of the member here. The passion in their replies in this thread and the one Enzo started on the future of GB's shows it! 

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox.....and start plotting for next years catfight...opps I mean poll! :D

• Like 5

Likewise.....I found BM slightly intimidating until I joined my first GB (SCW) at which point I discovered that, aside from being fantastically talented modellers, the 'BM Massive' are also wonderfully kind, generous and helpful folk!  :coolio:

Consequently I'd like to see even more inclusive GBs, so I can meet more of them.  ;)

• Like 5

Rich, I couldn't agree more in what you said in regards to the spirit of GBs as it is a great motivation and inspiration. Whichever way you look at it, at the end the votes give the direction and the trend is to a wider coverage of topics.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

I have to concur with the previous comments, many of the GBs offer a chance to see kits being built of things I had never even heard of. Recent Great Patriotic War (Russian Front) being a prime example. 

The encouragement and Micky taking where appropriate are fantastic and as many of us build for our own enjoyment it can be a bit isolating and you are unlikely to win any favours domestically if you sit down to build your 1/100 scale HMS Victory complete with cloth sails when the bathroom you started tiling 6 years ago (has it really been that long! ) hasn't been finished ! :rant:

However having fellow builders encouraging each other, ( "relax Pat it's been 10 years for me ! " ) :wicked: gives you the encouragement to carry on regardless.

So to all those who give their time to host the GBs and encourage / cajole participants into a. joining and b. finishing ( I live more in hope than expectation on this last part ! ) can I give my heartfelt thanks and appreciation, please keep up the good work as many of us only build because of the GBs. :clap2:

Stroll on, sorry for the short story I only meant to say I agreed with the other blokes, even if some of them are colonials ! :poke:  :evil_laugh:

cheers Pat

PS Peter, I think many of the Revell kits are matchbox reboxings so amongst your envious stash I'm sure there will be something appropriate   :goodjob:

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Stroll on, sorry for the short story I only meant to say I agreed with the other blokes, even if some of them are colonials ! :poke:  :evil_laugh:

What's that about colonials?

What have we done now :confused: ?

For so many of us it simply started with a great, great, great grandparent that stole a custard tart :eat:.

Centuries of alienation and persecution.

Hope it was a really good tart :) 

TonyT

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

:fight:

mmm we are still waiting for you to finish some of those builds as well ;) ........plus I still seem to remember you owe us a resin build as well??? :P 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

:fight:

mmm we are still waiting for you to finish some of those builds as well ;) ........plus I still seem to remember you owe us a resin build as well??? :P 

Guilty as charged your honour :sorry:

I will try to do a resin build in one of next years GBs, should I fail I promise to make a donation to BM as a punishment, fair ?  :redx:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JOCKNEY said:

Guilty as charged your honour :sorry:

I will try to do a resin build in one of next years GBs, should I fail I promise to make a donation to BM as a punishment, fair ?  :redx:

you can't get rid of your resin models that easily!! :D

• Like 1

Six and a half hours to go!

The poll will autolock at midnight UK time.  Tomorrow I will contact the hosts of the winning GBs to work out some dates.  However, if you want to contact me now regarding dates, please feel free.

I'm hoping to get the cat herding phase out of the way by 4th December.  That gives us about four weeks before the first GB starts.  Does anyone want to volunteer to take the first slot?  

• Like 2

On 26/11/2016 at 3:00 PM, old thumper said:

It probably would have worked much better if it were to have been proposed as a general war against Japan group build.

GB proposals can be discussed and ideas brought forward to whoever has proposed a new GB. I can't remember if any similar objection was aimed at the SEA GB, in any case the inclusion of a wider scope could have been proposed.

Personally though I feel that having GBs that are too wide in scope is not ideal, in the same way as those that are too limited in scope are not ideal. A theatre based GB like the recent MTO GB fits perfectly.

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

PS Peter, I think many of the Revell kits are matchbox reboxings so amongst your envious stash I'm sure there will be something appropriate   :goodjob:

Only a few of the kits that have appeared in the Revell catalogue are from Matchbox moulds.

• Like 4

ok I hadn't planned to do another chart but the swing of late votes or strategic voting has produced some interesting changes.

The Matchbox faithfully have come to the rescue of that beloved brand of colourful plastic and have ensured it's place in next years GB calendar. 

There's been another late charger in the Dawn of Jets GB, but unfortunately it won't be enough to see it through.

9th & 10th spot may change but at this stage looking at past trends the poor old Maritime Patrol GB looks like its just going to miss out to the Prototypes GB.

Will there be any late runs????? Is this the final order of play?? Will or cricketers pull their collective heads out of their a#%$ and win something!

All will be revealed shortly.......

2017%20GB%20Voting%2028-11_zps1zzomzww.j

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dave_R said:

ooh! - Matchbox very much the Donald Trump of this vote.  :unsure:

well, come to think of it, he's one of the original Matchboxkits... all plastic, blue for the suit, yellow for the hair and orange for the head! :P

Edited by Dorbeck
  • Like 6

Final score

1    Flying Boats and Float Planes    73
2    Made In Britain - The Sequel    70
3    Dassault Mirage    69
4    70s NATO v Warsaw Pact    68
5    Matchbox    68
6    De Havilland    67
7    From Russia with Love    65
8    Radial Engines Rock    65
9    Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers    63

Can all GB hosts please PM me with suggestions as to dates. 

• Like 9

with the 5 STGB's i'm in it looks like it'll be 9 GB's for next year....gosh and I was hoping for a quite one!  Least I have planned what ones i'm interested in and the good thing is I can cover a couple that missed out (Nightfighters is one) with the a couple that are in Radial Engine GB will have a Nightfighter in so all is good!  

• Like 1

Well, now we all know the GBs for next year, thanks again to our GB Moderator Enzo Matrix for all the work involved with this !!!

I'm glad to see that a couple of GBs I'm interested in and that were in a risky position made it through in the end. Guess next Saturday will be spent checking boxes in the stash to see what I'll build... and then I'll actually build something else depending on the mood of the day, as I did for most of my GB entries.. :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Guess next Saturday will be spent checking boxes in the stash to see what I'll build...

Been there done that already, have them all planned already....not quite to spreadsheet/chart level...............yet! :D

• Like 2