Airfix 1/48th scale Curtiss P-40B Tomahawk Mk II

On 05/11/2016 at 1:54 PM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi mate, one of these two - bu't cant decide which yet....

tomahawk_zpsp5nrueu1.jpg

jonners

I went for this one in 1/72d mate,........got to be this one;

DSCF2499_zps470e7ab2.jpg

Good luck mate,

Tony

• Like 8

Decalling is going well!

3B9ECC75-2741-4CB4-96ED-35FB7655C5EF_zps

7EE95A8E-1F75-4709-8B62-132FB553AA13_zps

A word of caution if you have Barracudecals shark mouth sets: They weren't designed for the Airfix kit so the sharkmouth will need some touching up after application. Its not a major problem, not a concern for me as i assumed as much anyway. The decals themselves are excellent though - thin and conform really nicely.

Jonners

• Like 7

Very nice an smooth finish there!

Thanks for the heads up regarding the shark mouth. I'm contemplating a dual build using both Airfix & Academy and Barracuda decals.

Am I correct in guessing the red in the shark mouth is a match for the dull red in the roundels?

17 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Very nice an smooth finish there!

Thanks for the heads up regarding the shark mouth. I'm contemplating a dual build using both Airfix & Academy and Barracuda decals.

Am I correct in guessing the red in the shark mouth is a match for the dull red in the roundels?

Hi Christer - cheers - airbrushed the sky gray and brown, brushed the green, then worked into them all with some airbrushed 'squiggles'. Gloss coat is airbrushed  Tamiya clear thinned with Mr self levelling Thinners and a drop of orange added.

The red in the shark mouth is the same as the dull roundel red. I mixed Tamiya red and flat brown to get a reasonable match for the spinner hub tip.

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 2

One advantage of not going to Telford is modelling time ( yeah right).

So with time on my hands - the build goes quickly. decals are on, exhausts drilled and painted, canopy masked up and painted.

Flat top coat needs to be done plus some "fiddlees"  I might even get this finished tomorrow!!!

0C40718C-0FDD-4B93-9511-70E81AB69D45_zps

E52459BE-4B90-4752-9454-A909103D3590_zps

29DF9BFC-BB21-4D7B-93EB-5394E7C557AA_zps

Cheers Jonners

• Like 7

Nice work,

How was the new plastic surface? I find the older airfix stuff has a light graininess to it that makes getting a nice smooth paint coat a pain without extensive rubbing down with sandpaper.

18 hours ago, Squibby said:

Nice work,

How was the new plastic surface? I find the older airfix stuff has a light graininess to it that makes getting a nice smooth paint coat a pain without extensive rubbing down with sandpaper.

Hi Squibby - the new plastic is OK - smoother than the old I'd say.

So matt coat on, and final detailing begins....

A700164B-4F4C-4111-B6E7-9F2068FDF0C1_zps

Here's  the armour glass with wire hand hold added at the top, and the Barr & Stroud gunsight (borrowed from an Airfix Spit) attached with the extra wire supports added either side. The windscreen "just" fits with the hand hold added! PHEW!

Jonners

• Like 14

On 11/19/2016 at 11:24 AM, gingerbob said:

Hi Jon,   I don't know if this is worth anything, but you mentioned the canopy rails the other day.  The first shot in this link shows that area quite well.

bob

Hi Bob - sorry I missed your post. Cheers for that - Im told the rails were recessed below the 'pit, but external behind it ( to maintain a constant width)- so Im guessing what looks like a rail in that lovely top pic is actually the fuselage side, doing its best John Belushi impression of a recessed rail :)  though TBF that would be more off-the-rail.

Drop me an email at some point mate - I've been lazily, and unforgivably, slack at catching up with you, and should be better.

Jonners