Airfix 1/48th scale Curtiss P-40B Tomahawk Mk II

Morning - right - so I've started.

Apart from some seatbelts this will be what comes in the box - which is pretty good!

9674F525-B051-47AE-A973-89ECFC13CA73_zps

B4B99A20-9E51-4CCD-9BA8-26CB0222983D_zps

1354349F-19EE-40CE-AEAC-D9D928F3080F_zps

0B965D62-B543-4A1A-BA42-BA05409F7D5D_zps

The yellow chromate primer is Tamiya  XF-4 while the cockpit parts are painted in DuPont 71-036 Light Green, or as i call it Tamiya XF-71 IJN cockpit green :)

One thing to watch is that some of the parts have some very, very fine flashing round them - just a swipe with the edge of a scalpel blade removes it, but its worth watching out for

Cheers Jonners

• Like 9

Oh, is this their new one? I didn't know it was released.

I'll be watching this with interest, despite my love hate affair with Airfix, they're still widely available here and generally build up really nice :D

Righty ho -  an update.

Model primed with Vallejo primer ( first time I've used it - and was pretty impressed. Its easy to airbrush and clean out of the Ab easily using their own airbrush cleaner) -  So painting will begin soon, once I've checked everything

I've re-scribed the missing trim tab -  which took about 5 mins. So it's annoying but not fatal. Removing the hinge took about 30 seconds.....

I spent a "wee"  bit of time yesterday morning and this morning looking at mixes for that much discussed colour DuPont 71-021 Sky Gray, and have arrived at  a mix of Tamiya XF-23 light blue, X-2 white and  XF-55 deck tan to give a pale blue with hint of green. i.e.  rather like RAF Sky Type S but not as "green" nor as saturated - so if you will a "sky-grey" LOL

For those interested I'd say it was about 5:5:2  Sky Blue: Deck tan: White, but as with a lot of acrylic mixes they tend to darken when totally dry so this may be changed once i inspect the sample I brushed . UPDATE: Ive since lightened this more and it's now giving me a colour I'm happy with - I'd say the ration is now 5:5:5 of all 3 colours - but as I'm very empirical in my mixes, down hold me to that!

For the DuPont Dark Earth I'm using a mix of Tamiya Flat Earth, with some Flat Brown and yellow added - this gives a hue that's a little brighter and lighter than RAF Dark Earth, while Tamiya NATO Green  looks good for the DuPont dark green - as it's just a tad more towards US Medium Green in Hue when compared to RAF Dark Green. So the general idea is that these 2 colours will give that "Sand & Spinach" look that seems to be a common description o the US DuPont equivalent colours

Barracudecals have arrived too :)

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 1

Good work that cockpit looks great.

How are you finding the new plastic? I hope it's not too hard as I liked the softer blue plastic - one job I hate is rescribing panel lines around the leading edge of wings on kits with hard plastic, like Hasegawa. The softer plastic Airfix were using made this very easy.

15 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Good work that cockpit looks great.

How are you finding the new plastic? I hope it's not too hard as I liked the softer blue plastic - one job I hate is rescribing panel lines around the leading edge of wings on kits with hard plastic, like Hasegawa. The softer plastic Airfix were using made this very easy.

Hi, the new plastic is not as hard as your typical Hasegawa sort, but does seem harder than the previous blues-grey sort. It scribes OK, but I'd say use a light touch, as it does have a tendency to gouge a little if you are over-enthusiastic!

it sands well though, and takes adhesive like Tamiya Extra Thin well. 

Cheers

jonners

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi, the new plastic is not as hard as your typical Hasegawa sort, but does seem harder than the previous blues-grey sort. It scribes OK, but I'd say use a light touch, as it does have a tendency to gouge a little if you are over-enthusiastic!

it sands well though, and takes adhesive like Tamiya Extra Thin well. 

Cheers

jonners

Sounds good, thanks.

• Like 1

Wow, faster than a speeding bullet! This is on my Christmas present list, but I don't know that I'll be able to wait that long,

I like all the detail in the cockpit, particularly the representation of the fuel tank behind the seat.

John

2 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi mate, one of these two - bu't cant decide which yet....

tomahawk_zpsp5nrueu1.jpg

jonners

Should have picked up two kits and done both!

Selwyn

(Trying to spend your hard earned for you!)

• Like 2

On 29/10/2016 at 5:02 PM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

morning!!

Bit more work on the cockpit - There are still some decals to add to the side walls, but the instrument panel decals fits nicely!

Jonners

A8720176-90B8-4119-87AE-B6D269D2E807_zps

Noice!

Cracking work Jonners, keep it up,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

I think you should combine the decals to make a personalized "CAD"

I don't know about that underside color- it looks too blue... no, too yellow...  wait, bring that torch over here...

Just another helpful contribution!

bob

• Like 1