Warped Lancaster B.II

Radleigh

Hi guys,

Having a few builds on the go, all mostly long termers that don't have a finish time yet, I decided to build something OOB that was 'easy'. So, back in June when I went down to Fairford for some B-52's, we popped into Swindon for a bit of shopping & I picked up this B.II for £15 from the Hornby shop in the shopping centre. It was all looking good until I cut the fuselage off the sprues to see that both parts were heavily warped, as were the spars & floor. So with a bit of work, I've managed to get it fairly straight..

Some pics of where it's at.. I've not had it out for a while as I lost interest at first, but when speaking to @woody37 at Newark, it's sparked the interest back and I'm now full steam ahead. Will add the black and start painting the interior shortly.. hoping to get it closed up by the weekend with wings attached.

One of my favourite WW2 bombers, just something about a radial on a Lanc..

29966092683_fab7714d8c_o.jpg

29967879424_3e86479335_o.jpg

29966097973_481285cdd5_o.jpg

• Like 9

On 27 October 2016 at 10:25 PM, woody37 said:

Looking forwards to it mate, agree about the B.ii, this is the masculine version of the Lanc!

The Mancaster! :D

Best o' luck with this Radleigh:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 2

You're not the only one with warpage: the fuselage of my first B. II is bent like a banana, but the other parts are much better.   I haven't felt brave (or stupid?) enough to try the second one yet.

Nice start on yours, but I think Lancaster wheel wells were generally in Night.

Edited by stever219
@&#%^* auto correct & typos it doesn't
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

... but I think Lancaster wheel wells were generally in Night.

You are absolutely right! But not only the wheel wells - bomb bay and flaps also were painted in the Night Black.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Steve,

Have painted the wheel wells now, but left the flaps.. Ignore the brown, just checking seams and had paint left over in the airbrush so I blasted the Lanc. Top of seat is still bare plastic, due to how it was being held and you will notice the inner bulk head doesn't touch the sides in the bomb bay, not sure if it's anything I've done, the fuselage was warped but now together it's fine, so who knows?! Enjoyable build otherwise. I want it done for Huddersfield, so giving my self plenty of time to do it.

Not fitted any clear parts either, will fill the holes in with Crystal Clear.

Thanks for looking in.

30834589876_eeee2b02e1_o.jpg

30235497523_0a38e5ac65_o.jpg

30235498843_9e10cde613_o.jpg

30754477012_d03b152fde_o.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...