Revell 1/48 Tornado ADV

At Sea

Well, time has moved on and the kit is known to be available; in fact, pretty soon I'll be buying one. Somebody in this thread mentioned 111 squadron - well, that's the reason. As I said in my "Hello" post, my family has unbelievably tenuous links to 111; I've built the old Hasegawa 111 Phantom (no pictures here, it's simply not good enough - learning exercise), but, of course, the ADV was its the successor. I may, and I stress may, as I'm a novice modeller, post its build, I'll need to see how it goes. I'm also thinking of getting the Hobbyboss Su-27, but doing it Ukranian, but not digital camo, trying to emulate the pixelation would be beyond me at this stage. I think I've got the camo colour codes from the Eduard kit instructions, and there is a Youtube video (very good, in my opinion) of the build of one (Russian), but it contains the mixes he used with Tamiya paints to get the "right" colours. Another question - did the Ukranians use the same camo colours (light, mid blue and gray) as Russia. Oh, dear, that's possibly opened a can of worms!

If anybody shows interest in the "tenuous" bit, I'll expand, then you can tell me just how tenuous it is!

On 2/19/2019 at 11:23 PM, exdraken said:

Hmmmm I have done a Firebird already...im very similar scheme... cause there were 2 of them!

Yes, the Firebird reappeared at some point when they were at Leuchars. From what I can tell the scheme was very similar to the original but carried 2 letter fin codes. 

Duncan B

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2019 at 6:07 PM, MR2Don said:

Well, time has moved on and the kit is known to be available; in fact, pretty soon I'll be buying one. Somebody in this thread mentioned 111 squadron - well, that's the reason. As I said in my "Hello" post, my family has unbelievably tenuous links to 111; I've built the old Hasegawa 111 Phantom (no pictures here, it's simply not good enough - learning exercise), but, of course, the ADV was its the successor. I may, and I stress may, as I'm a novice modeller, post its build, I'll need to see how it goes. I'm also thinking of getting the Hobbyboss Su-27, but doing it Ukranian, but not digital camo, trying to emulate the pixelation would be beyond me at this stage. I think I've got the camo colour codes from the Eduard kit instructions, and there is a Youtube video (very good, in my opinion) of the build of one (Russian), but it contains the mixes he used with Tamiya paints to get the "right" colours. Another question - did the Ukranians use the same camo colours (light, mid blue and gray) as Russia. Oh, dear, that's possibly opened a can of worms!

If anybody shows interest in the "tenuous" bit, I'll expand, then you can tell me just how tenuous it is!

No, sorry, not really interested but thanks for asking.

• 4 weeks later...

If we're discussing the Revell 03925 kit, then I bought one recently and haven't noticed any issues with the canopy...yet. By that I mean that I am a returning modeller so maybe not experienced enough yet to identify minor issues. It appears to fit OK (well, based on the general dodgy accuracy of parts fitment on this kit) and it is not yet fully in place, only been masked on while I painted. Will soon be able to say more about final fitment.

Guess it depends on what you regard as a problem. Checked all of my boxings since I have... ahem... a 'few'. I've found one 'anomaly' in 'one' of the Eduard boxings, not repeated in the others nor in any of the Revell originals I have. Said anomaly appears to be where the equivalent of stretched sprue has wrapped back over the canopy behind the centre frame. I've dropped Revell and Eduard a mail to query. In addition to the above there is what I would regard as a design flaw/nuisance/fail (delete as preferred) and that relates to the moulding plugs for the canopy mirrors. The plugs all appear to overlap the frame, moving into the canopy proper, and this affects the transparency of the edge of the canopy. This occurs on all of clear sets in the kits I have. I think what might have seemed good as a design concept - providing IM mirrors - might have worked ok in coloured styrene but does not lend itself well to clear plastic due to the refractive properties. Along with the annoyingly moulded in detonator cord (why to manufacturers 'still' do this? A decal would look better :angrysoapbox.sml:) and the scale thickness this is yet another reason I wish one of the AM teams would step in with a vac form replacement. 

• Like 1

Anyone getting this check your canopies as it looks like there is an issue.

Eduard 1/48 EDK11126 - Panavia Tornado F.3 ADV - Canopy issue 
IMPORTANT - Message Direct from EDUARD - Reads -
Iinstruct the customers to contact directly Eduard on [email protected] - At the moment, we do not have replacements of better quality available, but we are in contact with Revell to provide a lot of replacements. So as soon as we receive it, we will be able to provide the replacements to the customers directly.
We are sorry about the trouble caused. Have a nice day.
Eduard M.A. customer support

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Stephen said:

Here's a pic of the affected canopy 

20190602_145315

Mine too. Looks as if the injection process managed to get some stretched plastic embedded in the main part. I'm waiting on an update over when I can receive replacements for my batch,

9 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Mine too. Looks as if the injection process managed to get some stretched plastic embedded in the main part. I'm waiting on an update over when I can receive replacements for my batch,

Mine is on the way right now. Crossing my fingers, but I can't believe Eduard didn't catch this. They are my favorite kit manufacturer - I love their limited edition series, especially since they started using Cartograf decals. But the biggest culprit is Revell. It evidently shows they have serious quality control issues . . . or did Eduard actually press these kits?

Edited by Hobo

On 6/3/2019 at 6:05 PM, Stephen said:

Here's a pic of the affected canopy 

20190602_145315

thanks!

mine seem to be fine!

good, that not all kits are affected!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hobo said:

But the biggest culprit is Revell. It evidently shows they have serious quality control issues . . . or did Eduard actually press these kits?

Not sure, but I think it's more like this:

Revell owns the moulds, but they are actually located at a moulding company that does work for Revell. Say in Poland, for instance. Eduard contacts Revell, saying they want to do a special edition of this kit, and order a certain number of the sprues needed. Revell then orders the company in Poland to produce these, which then gets shipped straight to Eduard HQ which boxes them and puts them on the market. I doubt Revell's quality control people get their hands on them first. Eduard should have caught this, and asked for better clear parts.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...