Airfix P-40B Tomahawk 1/48th - It's Arrived!!!!!

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Right- first impressions:

Very good: The plastic is a mid grey - similar, I'd say to Hasegawa hardness ( though perhaps not quite as hard). It's certainly not like previous Airfix plastic a la Defiant, Hurricane or Spitfire.

NB - the plastic looks odd coloured in the pics due to my iphone - I assure you its a lovely mid-grey if you are planning an RAF versions, or a  lovely mid-gray if more American versions are  chosen :)

Panel lines are to my eye nice and fine & sharp. The eagle eyed will notice both types of seat and frame are included, plus different type of nose MG shroud. Theres also a clear part for the fuselage hatch with camera port, and a clear camera, plus canopies for both open & closed, which are flat sided.

The cockpit details looks excellent - certainly some of the best Ive seen OOB for a 1/48th model, and decals for the instruments are included.

The question now of course is will the "Nun's Hat" look right and how does Hume Bates hope for the firewall to wing alignment to be correct play out......

This just went to the top of the pile, so stay tuned

Jonners

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Looks great, is it possible to show close ups of the fuselage panel lines?

Wondering about the firewall step mentioned in the Rumourmonger thread? Not that it's a deal breaker by any means!

Here you go - see above. The firewall/ gun panel line isnt stepped.

Taped rough fit of parts is very good I have to say

Jonners 

• Like 1

Looks great, Jonners! thanks for the pics. This one has certainly moved up the wants list! The panel lines look vey nice. It seems that Airfix has been going from strength to strength for the last few years.

44 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Right- first impressions:

There's also a clear part for the fuselage hatch with camera port, and a clear camera, plus canopies for both open & closed, which are flat sided.

Jonners

That's enough for me. I will definitely get one! :speak_cool:

Larry

The lower radiator efflux area - "The Nun's Hat" I believe.  I'm still unsure whats meant to be right or wrong on the aforementioned "Chapeau de la Bonne Soeur".

But those that know their Wimple from their Guimpe can advise

Jonners

[edit for spelling]

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

7 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

First look temporarily on hold while i go to dentist for a filling. Im hoping its not milliput!! :)

jonners

Don't get too carried away, he could think you're asking him for a shark mouth!

Asked my fav shop, can't tell me when he'll have these but that he definitely will.

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwart said:

How's the plastic ,looks noticeably different to the usual blue stuff?.

Grant

kit  has been made in the UK, by the company that makes the 'Quick Build' kits, (ie Lego) so may well be different

some background here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989215-148-curtiss-p-40b-warhawk-by-airfix-released/&do=findComment&comment=2522366

after a link to Plastech was posted up

http://www.plastch.com/curtiss-p-40b-warhawk-ready-fly/

so, that may explain new plastic, which sounds an improvement :)

• Like 1

the shape of keel fairing is a continu curve(blue). On airfix, this is two straight lines ended by a curve(red).
blue prints of keel fairings, forward, intermediate and aft of P40B & C
pic wing P40B

keel_f10.jpg

Unfortunately I hav'nt the oil cooler exit.

Edited by BS_w

1 hour ago, tbell said:

The Bronco folks have got to be kicking themselves right about now. Seems like there's really no comparison. And considering Bronco's MSRP of ~$60USD, well...

Bronco's market is the Chinese middle class (e.g. MENG just released their P-51D in PLAAF markings) which numbers about 300 million people right now, so if just 1% of those middle class Chinese buy and build plastic models . . . they've got a good ROI. 

Airfix definitely has the European and North American market covered. Airfix will sell a few boatloads of kits here in the USA. 

3 minutes ago, BS_w said:

the shape of keel fairing is a continu curve(blue). On airfix, this is two straight lines ended by a curve(red).
blue prints of keel fairings, forward, intermediate and aft of P40B & C
pic wing P40B

keel_f10.jpg

Looks like the Aftermarket Industry will make some money offering corrections here. I don't think any P-40B/C kit in 1/48 has this area 100%.

8 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Are the clear parts clear and free of any imperfections ? 

cheers 

Jerry

Hi Jerry - yes they seem to be. very glossy and clear, and i would say commendably thin.

There are two windscreen options - one with an offset to starboard top rear view mirror for the AVG versions, and another with what appears to be a small rectangular inset moulded inside on the front - some sort of reflector sighting lens perhaps?  The internal armoured glass is a separate part.

For those wondering on the colours: For the AVG version - Airfix quote Humbrol No28 Matt camouflage grey for the lower colour, bracketing a reference "(approx. DuPont 71-21)", while topside disruptive colours are cited as Humbrol 116 Matt US dark green and 119 Matt US Light Earth, again both referenced as approx DuPont 71-013 & 009 respectively.

For George Welch's crate, neutral grey is specified as Humbrol 128 US Compass grey (sic) with a ref to approx ANA 43 Neutral Gray, while 155 Matt Olive drab serves for the tob, erm...Olive Drab BUT theres no reference cited with this colour. 

US ARMY titling on undersides of wings is printed in the correct blue, rather than black, colour; and you can argue the toss over the colour of the  AVG Chinese sunburst cockardes.

The colour behind the quarterlights on each version is shown as being the upper surface colour - just in case anyone wondered :)

Jonners

It's a shame they didn't mould the part of the upper fuselage with the windscreen as we've got a sprue attachment point right next to a part that's going to stay clear - I hope they change this for the P-51.